Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120613 times)
Sir red ken

« Reply #315 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 19:55:44 »

Despite their basket casery, they're still above us in the league... as are Charlton, Blackpool,and Cov who are also reckoned to be badly run.
Good point Reg, we keep going on about how bad other clubs are run but look at our own.What a fucking car crash.
We're changing our manager every 6 months, not a well run club to be doing that are we.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 20:58:36 »

How many have Watford had in the past 5 years?  This consistency things is not all it's cracked up to be these days.  I reckon radical change every 6 months might just be a solution.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 21:02:49 »

Are either Taylor or Richards older than  our new leader?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 21:08:06 »

Good point Reg, we keep going on about how bad other clubs are run but look at our own.What a fucking car crash.
We're changing our manager every 6 months, not a well run club to be doing that are we.

flitcroft left us.
Brown deserved to be sacked.

Criticised for failing to act decisively and then when he acts decisively criticised for changing managers every 6 months.

Easy this job isn't it
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 21:10:16 »

Are either Taylor or Richards older than  our new leader?
No, he's 18 months older than Taylor and over 2 years on Richards.
Sir red ken

« Reply #320 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 21:13:09 »

How many have Watford had in the past 5 years?  This consistency things is not all it's cracked up to be these days.  I reckon radical change every 6 months might just be a solution.
It might be if you want to look at our success. Its working brilliantly.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:21:59 »

flitcroft left us.
Brown deserved to be sacked.

Criticised for failing to act decisively and then when he acts decisively criticised for changing managers every 6 months.

Easy this job isn't it

And Ling left for health reasons, plus we have a couple of caretakers in the mix, its not great but it not the shitstorm being portrayed by those clutching at straws.

I was thinking last night about this widely held view that Power only wants cash and wants us relegated, in simple terms if that were the case why has he spent cash getting rid of two staff members who were heading towards achieving his apparent objective.

In conclusion there is a lot of bollocks spouted on here....
Flashheart

« Reply #322 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:31:12 »

I don't think we're anywhere near the mess off the field some would have us believe. In fact, I suspect we're probably in better shape than we have been for a long, long time. Granted, I don't actually know this but neither do those that claim otherwise.

If only some of the managerial appointments bore fruit, things would be looking much better and if you blame for Flitcroft, Brown or Ling then you're just being unreasonable. It's true that the buck stops with Power but he's made a much-needed change. Some people chose to moan about that as well, though. Some were moaning about us 'constantly' changing managers even before Wellen's name popped up. What the fuck is he supposed to do?

As for Wellens... It's about time Power had some luck where managers are concerned. I've got a feeling he can do a good job.
1989Monkey

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:32:45 »

Looking at Sky odds Wellens is drifting. Was 1/8 and now 2/7 with Noel Hunt shortening. If we are confident that it is Wellens then there is some money to be had but maybe Power is having some fun in wanting to see the fan meltdown
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:37:01 »

Watford follow what might be called the European model.... namely the recruitment is largely done by a D o F, then handed over to a coach. If the coach is no good,  you sack him and get another one.  Power tried it with Luke and effectively himself as DoF, then Tactics. 

Where he failed so badly was not only with recruitment, but not sacking Luke more or less straight away as it was clear, he was way out of his depth.

TBF Power then saw the error, and so let Flitcroft get on and manage, which he did reasonably succesfully, halting the slide and getting us in a PO slot, before bailing. Brown seemed a continuation albeit with a reduced budget, which has created the current problems with FL status under threat.

So Wellens, will he be given carte blanche, or is it back to Power interferring  Hmmm

The appointment of Hunt, very much suggests the latter..... and given that Wellens was sufficiently glad of an opportunity that he could put up with the Morrocan agent, suggests similar here.  Maybe Wellens gets it til the end of the season, if he keeps us up, paid a bonus, if we're relegated then a change for Conference football next year.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:44:52 »

widely held view that Power only wants cash and wants us relegated

Is it that widely held? Surely those that think he has been dipping into transfer fees realise you make more money with better players. And better players tend towards higher league.

Though I suppose if his exit strategy is build houses and stables off the back of the training facility, then bugger off, it could be done in whatever league. Since the FC is bankrolling some of it you'd think decreased revenues makes it harder
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:46:39 »

Looking at Sky odds Wellens is drifting. Was 1/8 and now 2/7 with Noel Hunt shortening. If we are confident that it is Wellens then there is some money to be had but maybe Power is having some fun in wanting to see the fan meltdown

"BBC Wilts understands..." - comes from the horses mouth doesn't it? Can't see it not happening unless Wellens runs for the hills first look at T&Cs/transfer budget.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:49:48 »

I don't think we're anywhere near the mess off the field some would have us believe. In fact, I suspect we're probably in better shape than we have been for a long, long time. Granted, I don't actually know this but neither do those that claim otherwise.

If only some of the managerial appointments bore fruit, things would be looking much better and if you blame for Flitcroft, Brown or Ling then you're just being unreasonable. It's true that the buck stops with Power but he's made a much-needed change. Some people chose to moan about that as well, though. Some were moaning about us 'constantly' changing managers even before Wellen's name popped up. What the fuck is he supposed to do?

As for Wellens... It's about time Power had some luck where managers are concerned. I've got a feeling he can do a good job.

This won't be popular, but looking back....

Mark Cooper 2013–2015 - In post for c.2 years, did OK then things essentially ran their course, fans got on his back and Power responded and got rid.
Lee Power 2015 (caretaker) - Short term and a bit shambolic while tried to find someone.
Martin Ling 2015 - -Appointment that was welcomed by fans and seemed a really good fit, went to shit through no fault of anyone.
Luke Williams 2015–2017 - Would never have got the job if the Ling thing hadn't gone tits up, was an interesting and risky appointment, although could be said to address our fans clamour for young  upcoming managers, went tits up, fans got restless and sacked, although Power was possibly a bit too loyal in dragging it out*.
David Flitcroft 2017–2018 - Manager who had record of success in this division, given a budget and fucked off at the first availability;
Matt Taylor 2018 (player-caretaker) - Only one game, who knows, filled a gap.
Phil Brown 2018 - High profile and I imagine didn't come cheap, has record of success albeit a while back, allowed to bring staff in and also sign some players, hardly a cheap uninspiring option.

So out of that only 3 have been sacked and in every case at the time when the fans were calling for their head, then immediately slating Power for adhering to their calls.

BTW that's 7 managers in five years (Which is a bit shit but sadly par for the course in modern football), so looking back to the Black/Fitton era when everything was wonderful, that's also 5 years and we had 7 or 8 managers in that time, I don't recall the same level of fuss then?

* Interesting that many berate chairman of other clubs for being too trigger happy in that thread and then berate Power for not being so, its almost like the guy cannot win.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:58:15 by horlock07 » Logged
Sir red ken

« Reply #328 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:52:11 »

Looking at Sky odds Wellens is drifting. Was 1/8 and now 2/7 with Noel Hunt shortening.
Neither of those managers inspire me, their non league types at best. STFC is heading for a cliff edge drop and I can't see any way that will change. Sad days for me,I supported the town through thick and thin since the 60's
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 09:54:55 »

I disagree with your Cooper assessment. I think there was meddling from Williams/Power, he had a strop, Power relented and handed over total control then hung him with his own rope at the first opportunity. I've based this on snippets of info I remember at the time.

To be fair, Cooper wasn't too bad; In fact excluding the caretakers I think Williams was his only major mess up. Even then it probably fitted his buy em cheap and stack em high recruitment policy.
--
I do think thought that they are hamstrung by our constantly last minute recruitment. But that's another argument.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: