Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120783 times)
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:39:49 »

I'll still be there with my ST no matter who the manager is.  It will be interesting.

This.

Got to say that my enthusiasm has waned of late and bit fed up with all the comments over the pub from people who have not been in years telling me we are rubbish/crap/sh*te but they "support" ManU/City/Lverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal etc. etc., so if it can be turned around then I would be very happy.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:48:07 »

Appreciate that isn’t a name and very wishful thinking - when looking around for people who could potentially fit that description I found Big Duncan Ferguson. Now whether he’d ever want to leave Everton to have a crack at management I don’t know.

Imagine the phone ins...

"What is your favourite cheese?"
"Fuck off"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:49:51 »

Imagine the phone ins...

"What is your favourite cheese?"
"Fuck off"

Sounds good to me
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:49:55 »

Whilst Wellens has only had one job, so doesn’t quite fit into the same mould...

I want someone different; someone who hasn’t been around the block and failed multiple times. Someone who has retired, stayed in the game and has been slowly learning their trade at a decent level who wants a first time crack at management. Someone who played at the top level and thus had to keep to very high standards of diet & training

It would also be nice to have someone with a bit of authority & fear factor.

Appreciate that isn’t a name and very wishful thinking - when looking around for people who could potentially fit that description I found Big Duncan Ferguson. Now whether he’d ever want to leave Everton to have a crack at management I don’t know.

He’d certainly take no shit!

Trouble is with the likes of DF, he gets paid probably 4x what he would get here for doing little with no pressure.  When you look at him on the bench... it's almost like Kenwright and co are too scared to sack him.

John Terry, seems to be lining himself up for a similar gig.  Does Wellens have the necessary hunger to put in the hours watching non league players etc?   It's one thing talking up your credentials another doing it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:52:09 »

I have no doubt Wellens will put the hours in/work hard
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:54:09 »

As with everything STFC related, I am always minded to await official confirmation before getting too excited. However, I do feel Wellens would be a sensible appointment. He’s probably looking at us as a possible stepping stone to return to League 1 - should he keep us up I expect he’ll attract interest from teams above us in the pyramid. It makes sense all round seeing as we are bringing in a gaffer with experience of a relegation battle and being at the helm of a basket case club.

Hunt as chief cone gatherer is an interesting one....I had hoped for Paul Jewell, a proper football man, but given Power has paid off two contracts I think I was always being slightly optimistic.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:56:55 »

As with everything STFC related, I am always minded to await official confirmation before getting too excited. However, I do feel Wellens would be a sensible appointment. He’s probably looking at us as a possible stepping stone to return to League 1 - should he keep us up I expect he’ll attract interest from teams above us in the pyramid. It makes sense all round seeing as we are bringing in a gaffer with experience of a relegation battle and being at the helm of a basket case club.

Hunt as chief cone gatherer is an interesting one....I had hoped for Paul Jewell, a proper football man, but given Power has paid off two contracts I think I was always being slightly optimistic.

Smiley

You're ITK Chang.... is this Noel Hunt, anything to do with Waterford or the fella who caused Cech to wear the rugby cap?
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:57:42 »

Smiley

You're ITK Chang.... is this Noel Hunt, anything to do with Waterford or the fella who caused Cech to wear the rugby cap?

That was Stephen Hunt

I come from a land down-under
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:58:44 »

Glad PB is gone.

Surprised with appointment but his limited experience to-date (and at a struggling club) surely doesn't give anyone enough evidence to declare that he is demonstrably useless?  The opposite is equally true of course, but the current Swindon setup was never going to be able to appoint a proven winner.

Hopefully Power has seen some potential there and come up with an inspired choice.  What harm does it do us to think positive and give him a chance as well as our support?

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:02:49 »

Smiley

He’s at Waterford so already on Power’s payroll. Wigan wanted to keep him at the end of last season, which would suggest he should do a job in League 2 if called upon.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:03:00 »

That was Stephen Hunt

Cheers.... Noel's his bro then.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:04:53 »

Whilst Wellens has only had one job, so doesn’t quite fit into the same mould...

I want someone different; someone who hasn’t been around the block and failed multiple times. Someone who has retired, stayed in the game and has been slowly learning their trade at a decent level who wants a first time crack at management. Someone who played at the top level and thus had to keep to very high standards of diet & training

It would also be nice to have someone with a bit of authority & fear factor.

He’d certainly take no shit!

The kind of description you give reminds of a certain John Terry. Maybe if we were L1 he'd have been an option to snag from Villa. Only thing is with JT, I imagine he'd be off as soon as a higher club came sniffing. After lifting the FL Trophy in his kit, of course Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:09:48 »

Journeyman?

He's only managed one club previously.

Short journeyman.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:09:50 »

He’s at Waterford so already on Power’s payroll. Wigan wanted to keep him at the end of last season, which would suggest he should do a job in League 2 if called upon.

You have to hand it to Power, we all expected some sort of internal, and we got one.... and he can multi task by playing, clever.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:12:38 »

Hunt seems to be plying his playing trade still, having been accused of standing on a players head earlier in the season.  Could probably do with a bit of that.  Wellens has not long hung his boots up as well, but we have plenty in his old role.

Hunt has not been in the squad the last couple of weeks, maybe getting ready?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: