Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120122 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:06:17 »

I'm buying shares in Kleenex as a hedge

I understand Kleenex shares have soared in the last 24 hours.....
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:06:33 »

Dont understand why so many are throwing their toys out of the pram!  It is not an awe inspiring appointment I agree, but neither have performances under Brown.  As for people saying they will not attend again I think we have been down that route before.  Give the guys a few games before the knives are out, I for one would have preferred to have seem a more high profile manager but we are not in the position to attract that kind of appointment.  The four of us will be there on Saturday in our usual seats to witness the first game under them.
Flashheart

« Reply #272 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:07:35 »

I'm actually warming to it.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:10:34 »

Lovers Lovers At least Hodgetts will have somebody new to wank over!
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:11:49 »

BBC seem pretty confident it's Wellens then.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46182174
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:12:06 »

Look at the Conference South, could be quite appetising"

You have the GWR derbies - Bath & Chippenham
Something to appeal to a global audience with a game against Slough, which could invoke a one off Office Special
The real A420 Debry
Fitton would have loved the Hungerford games
Gloucester City should be much more winnable than the games against their near neighbours seem to be, although Reg would miss those, so hopefully they follow us down
And Torquay can swap anecdotes about dodgy Speedway Stadium developers

No guarantee, we'd get Conference S, both Oxford City and Gloucester have had recent spells in Conference N.  Depends on who else is there.

There's a little niggle in the back of my head about Wellens when he played against us...  Hmmm Venkman?

Just got it... reading back.... cheers RJack.  Reeeves described him as up his own arse.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:19:56 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #276 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:12:44 »

Dont understand why so many are throwing their toys out of the pram!  It is not an awe inspiring appointment I agree, but neither have performances under Brown.  As for people saying they will not attend again I think we have been down that route before.  Give the guys a few games before the knives are out, I for one would have preferred to have seem a more high profile manager but we are not in the position to attract that kind of appointment.  The four of us will be there on Saturday in our usual seats to witness the first game under them.

One of the more measured and sensible responses, and echoes how I feel. Flitcroft and Brown had things on paper that we want, and they were both shite. PB was a great appointment on paper, but on grass he was clueless.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:13:38 »

I'll still be there with my ST no matter who the manager is.  It will be interesting.

ust be the oldest
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:15:21 »

Quote from: Flashheart
I'm actually warming to it.

would you be shocked to hear I'm not?!

I know it could work out. but it's a massive gamble with our league status.

I don't think we'll go down this season. Didn't think we would under Brown either.  It's next season that we'll know what he's got ...
« Last Edit: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:20:56 by Batch » Logged
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:15:30 »

Another northern journeyman takes the helm. What does this remind me of? What can possibly go wrong?
Flashheart

« Reply #280 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:17:59 »

Another northern journeyman takes the helm. What does this remind me of? What can possibly go wrong?

Journeyman?

He's only managed one club previously.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:19:53 »

Interesting. Young and hopefully made all his learning curve balls ups at Oldham and we reap the benefit. Who wants a first time surgeon?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:20:27 »

I am was already on a downer with the club, have been for a good 3 or 4 years and then I just read through this thread, looking at the some of the posts and the names being touted and just posted my feelings.. 

I used to love following the town, and I miss caring, but seeing names like Wellens etc. being banded about just made me realise the club is unrecognisable from the club I grew up watching and from the days that I would check the adver and TEF before I did anything else in the day.  A new manager would have in the past lead me to having the TEF open all day constantly pressing F5, it couldn't be further from the truth now.. My days of owning a being a season ticket holder and looking forward to every Saturday are long gone.  I am desperate to get my mojo back, but every corner we turn I just feel like I am getting further away from that day.  It really is depressing, for me anyway, I know that is not te case for everyone.

Great post Bernie. Not fallen as low as you yet, so I'm redeemable. But I can see why you've got to where you have.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:27:21 »

Interesting. Young and hopefully made all his learning curve balls ups at Oldham and we reap the benefit. Who wants a first time surgeon?

Bloody hell, he's not fixing Doughty as well is he.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:42:15 by Batch » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:37:36 »

Can anyone come up with a single name (has to be remotely realistic of course) that anyone else would find anything other then 'underwhelming'? I doubt it.

I'm not commenting on Richie Wellens as I know nothing about him.

Whilst Wellens has only had one job, so doesn’t quite fit into the same mould...

I want someone different; someone who hasn’t been around the block and failed multiple times. Someone who has retired, stayed in the game and has been slowly learning their trade at a decent level who wants a first time crack at management. Someone who played at the top level and thus had to keep to very high standards of diet & training

It would also be nice to have someone with a bit of authority & fear factor.

Appreciate that isn’t a name and very wishful thinking - when looking around for people who could potentially fit that description I found Big Duncan Ferguson. Now whether he’d ever want to leave Everton to have a crack at management I don’t know.

He’d certainly take no shit!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: