Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120125 times)
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:22:38 »

At very least we can all look forward to a very similar thread of conjecture and different Sheenas in May.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:35:37 »

In fairness as Reg will probably tell us, Wellens has experience of getting a club relegated which is exactly what we need right now.

Wellens got Oldham down in Div 3.... it's a bit more difficult in Div 4 with only 2 down.  As I pointed out he did get an initial decent bounce with Latics, if he can replicate something similar here we should be OK.  He'll be doing well though for that to happen....
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:40:46 »

I suppose we're the equivalent of a Southern Oldham.
Flashheart

« Reply #243 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:44:34 »

Well, I've seen enough to make me think it isn't as bad an appointment as on face value. I'm feeling a bit better about it.

You'd better have this one right, Power.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #244 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:46:16 »

I suppose we're the equivalent of a Southern Oldham.
We have both been on a similar downward rollercoaster path since the Premier League days although they average just over 4k attendances and ours is around 50% higher.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:50:09 »

Well, I've seen enough to make me think it isn't as bad an appointment as on face value. I'm feeling a bit better about it.

You'd better have this one right, Power.
Power’s previous appointments at least had some logic behind them. Cooper already in place and seen as pliable - Ditto Williams. Ling was a punt purely for health reasons.

Flitcroft had got a club promoted from L2 and Brown had years of experience and some success.

How on earth did he come by Wellens? Sounds very much like a ‘mate recommended him’ appointment.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:50:31 »

Can't get over how shit the TEF is about this. We're 18th in the 4th Division and you're already laying the boot into the new man. It's not like we're boxing above our weight is it?

By chance, I heard him on the World Service Sportsworld programme a couple of weeks back and he sounded pretty articulate, said that he'd rebuilt unity in a divided dressing-room, turned things around playing attractive football, then they got injuries and the pitch went to mud in the winter and no-one adapted well. Which seems to be pretty much what the fans said.

Like any new signing, he's got my support until I've got evidence to the contrary. And usually for a bit after that too.

Well he won't have the excuse of a shit pitch here... and as WB said, he won't get a honeymon period.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #247 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:52:57 »

Power’s previous appointments at least had some logic behind them. Cooper already in place and seen as pliable - Ditto Williams. Ling was a punt purely for health reasons.

Flitcroft had got a club promoted from L2 and Brown had years of experience and some success.

How on earth did he come by Wellens? Sounds very much like a ‘mate recommended him’ appointment.
Courtney Duffus loan from Oldham to Waterford, I am sure Mr Power had to deal with Wellens as he was manager there at the time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:54:09 »

We have both been on a similar downward rollercoaster path since the Premier League days although they average just over 4k attendances and ours is around 50% higher.

Oldham do pretty well to get that many given the proximity of Prem clubs and the divided nature of the place..
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:57:00 »

Well he won't have the excuse of a shit pitch here... and as WB said, he won't get a honeymon period.

Might well have been one of the attractions for him. The pitch is the only part of the current set-up that's above our station.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 15:04:53 »

Might well have been one of the attractions for him. The pitch is the only part of the current set-up that's above our station.

Wellens is probably one of those who needs a job, and let's face it with a relegation as your only experience on the CV, that isn't likely to attract too many takers.

Of course it's a worry, because if he fucks this one up it's non league for us... unless we can rely of Macc and presently Cheltnumb to be even worse.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 15:14:35 »

I look forward to a mod changing your user title any time now...

Bogus Dick?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 15:14:47 »

Wellens is probably one of those who needs a job, and let's face it with a relegation as your only experience on the CV, that isn't likely to attract too many takers.

Of course it's a worry, because if he fucks this one up it's non league for us... unless we can rely of Macc and presently Cheltnumb to be even worse.
You are going to have one hell of a party when we eventually go down aren't you?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 15:16:16 »

Oldham do pretty well to get that many given the proximity of Prem clubs and the divided nature of the place..

I have spent a fair bit of time in Oldham, despite what you may have read its not like Belfast....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 15:16:49 »

You are going to have one hell of a party when we eventually go down aren't you?

Its going to need more Baby Oil that's for sure.....
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: