Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120131 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 14:37:51 »

No issue with Brown going.
Next appointment needed a galvanising effect.
Wellens has not done that. A few people have bought up some positives from his time at Oldham which suggest he did well under the circumstances; ok fine.
If that is the case then why did Oldham get rid?
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 14:38:42 »

It really didn't feel like we had a tactical plan under Brown at all. 

Managers are all different, Kingy for example didn't really have a tactical plan but could spot a player. 

Di Canio had a very scattergun approach to signing players but when it came to it we knew very much what we were doing on the pitch.

Under Wise it was less scattergun but a clear message on what our plan was.

Brown has been a bit scattergun and had no plan.

Hopefully Wellens has a plan and we can find a way to execute it well.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 14:47:59 »

Hopefully Wellens has a plan and we can find a way to execute it well.

Hopefully he's a better plan than at Oldham, where his aim was to get 50 points.  I could have told him that 52 is usually the cut off and even we've gone down with that. He executed his plan, just the wrong plan.

I wonder if he's a plan for how many needed to stay up this season..... Rovers went down with 51
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:00:59 »

No issue with Brown going.
Next appointment needed a galvanising effect.
Wellens has not done that. A few people have bought up some positives from his time at Oldham which suggest he did well under the circumstances; ok fine.
If that is the case then why did Oldham get rid?

TBF to Power, the usual response to sacking the manager when things are going pear shaped and the heat is turning up on the Board/now owner, is to appoint an internal, usually ex player, or ex player out of work.... as it buys a bit of goodwill.

Which is why many expected Taylor.... my feeling was that he wouldn't take it now knowing more about the situation, but look for age range coaching at Prem or Div 2 level in the summer.

The goodwill only goes so far though..... Wellens will get none, so he'll need success straight away. If he doesn't and we continue to slide it could get very uncomfortable for Power.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:07:04 »

The 3 facts are sound enough. The OS tells us a contract until 2020..... so taking that at face value no trial period.

Wellens had a decent caretaker spell at Oldham, it turned to shit when he got a full time contract.

What's tactical nous? For example, it seems to me if the pitch turns to shit, tactical nous dictates you play a different style, more suited to conditions rather than blunder on with an ill fitting style.   Wellens says this is his style.... yes OK, he doesn't even know the players.

I've always been minded with something Pulis said about going into a new club struggling.... you look at the players and think, what can they do? Where are their strengths and weaknesses, then  build from that.  By implication what you don't do is say this is how I want you to play.... if the players cannot. It's back to Luke, naivity, try and play like Barca, with players more suited to Barnet.

Applying your tactical nous, and all fans think they have some..... what would you do with our current crop assuming they'e all fit?

Me? No idea i'm not a pro football manager, and therefore not qualified. As for the contract until 2020, I'll bet there are  break clauses. One may well be 20 points after 10 games. I very much doubt it is a straight contract, and very much doubt Browns was. 10 years ago maybe, but not now.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:17:52 »

the positive is that if Wellens doesn't give us a bounce, there is still time to appoint a replacement in time to use the January transfer window

Flitcroft
(Taylor)
Brown
Wellens
A.N.Other

since the last Jan. window.

Power managers up until then:

Cooper
Ling
Luke
Tactics
Luke
Power

I may be muddled but it's not only been Brown who's been confusing

Sir red ken

« Reply #411 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:31:11 »

Crist were scaping the barrel for positives..."the positive is that if Wellens doesn't give us a bounce, there is still time to appoint a replacement in time to use the January transfer window". Who do you have in mind as a before Jan replacement if this one goes Pete Tong?  Zidan, Van Gaal, Eddie Howe or flop from Liverpool. LP would sign another free,cheap shite option like all his others. The only plus would be that we'd get a new record for managers in a season, its like death by a thousand slashes, slow calculated agony.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:34:22 »

Life as an optimist is not always very easy especially if affection comes in the nature of supporting STFC but who the fuck is Wellens…?? Can`t prejudge the man who has rarely managed...perhaps he will be a real find...in some ways he can`t be worse than Phil Brown who just didn`t get this team going and I believe their is enough talent in the squad to get us into the play offs but not with him. He arrived and we dropped out of the play offs so let`s see what the mysterious Wellens is made of...

I know it was rhetorical, but, he's a product of the Man Utd Academy, had a pretty decent career playing across the league levels including games in the top flight, he studied for his UEFA coaching license while playing, taking on coaching activities at Man Utd and, over the course of nearly a season, managed a mid table style effort with Oldham who had 4 points from 9 games when he took over.  Hope that helps.

Opinion: He seems very similar to Flitcroft, I am hoping for more!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:38:17 »

Crist were scaping the barrel for positives..."the positive is that if Wellens doesn't give us a bounce, there is still time to appoint a replacement in time to use the January transfer window". Who do you have in mind as a before Jan replacement if this one goes Pete Tong?  Zidan, Van Gaal, Eddie Howe or flop from Liverpool. LP would sign another free,cheap shite option like all his others. The only plus would be that we'd get a new record for managers in a season, its like death by a thousand slashes, slow calculated agony.

I bet you are a right hoot at parties.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:51:21 »

I know it was rhetorical, but, he's a product of the Man Utd Academy, had a pretty decent career playing across the league levels including games in the top flight, he studied for his UEFA coaching license while playing, taking on coaching activities at Man Utd and, over the course of nearly a season, managed a mid table style effort with Oldham who had 4 points from 9 games when he took over.  Hope that helps.

Opinion: He seems very similar to Flitcroft, I am hoping for more!

Didn’t play in the top flight.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:57:44 »

Decent read

http://d3d4football.com/swindon-town-appoint-richie-wellens-an-oldham-fans-view/
Sir red ken

« Reply #416 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 15:59:27 »

I bet you are a right hoot at parties.
Depends on how much I've had to drink and what the available arse is like.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 16:03:08 »

Ooh. A drunk and a lech!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 16:03:17 »

Depends on how much I've had to drink and what the available arse is like.

Oooh err lads, dont be picking 50p's off the floor.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 16:04:28 »

Another concern for me is Hunt.... this stinks of Power. Do Wellens and Hunt have any links or is this just Power using the fact Wellens will be grateful to have a job, and so lumbering him with Hunt for Waterford business.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: