Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v York City - FA Cup Rd 1 official match day thread  (Read 26167 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 12:21:28 »

Looking at the results from the weekend and it is going to be very difficult to get a favourable draw.  Most clubs left seem to be norvern, so a long road trip, but worse the likes of Rochdale, Accy, Blackpool, Bury, Carlisle, Fleetwood, Southport only get tiny crowds.  Stockport away or probably Wrexham away would be terrible, and Salford still lurk, and I'm sure then Beeb would fancy doing a job on us with that.

The plum draw would be Sunderland, up there.  A good road trip for the committed, and we haven't played them for a while, plus a tidy gate. Pompey would be OK.

We could always be drawn at home again, so on the positive flip many of those wouldn't fancy travelling all this way to a lowly southern L2 club. A potential banana skin for them.

That's it. We're going to get to Rnd 3 by beating Fleetwood at home. Of course it will be shown on the Beeb too as we'll be underdogs and they have a "character" of a manager in Joseph Barton.  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 12:28:07 »

We could always be drawn at home again, so on the positive flip many of those wouldn't fancy travelling all this way to a lowly southern L2 club. A potential banana skin for them.

That's it. We're going to get to Rnd 3 by beating Fleetwood at home. Of course it will be shown on the Beeb too as we'll be underdogs and they have a "character" of a manager in Joseph Barton.  Smiley

Any league club at home would be the best of a bad bunch.... I doubt we've enough to see off a Conference club and if Stockport and Oxford City can score 3 at Tranny and Yeovil they could do so here.

There are only a couple of draws in there that you'd really want.... and lots which range from merely horrible to terrible.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 16:44:42 »

Well away at Maidstone would suit

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:39:11 »

Any league club at home would be the best of a bad bunch.... I doubt we've enough to see off a Conference club and if Stockport and Oxford City can score 3 at Tranny and Yeovil they could do so here.

There are only a couple of draws in there that you'd really want.... and lots which range from merely horrible to terrible.

get a fucking grip and have a word with yourself
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:52:26 »

get a fucking grip and have a word with yourself

I'll get back to you after 7:00 ish.

I mean would you want Solihull Moors.... about 11 places between us and them, seemingly heading for terminal basket casery with Jed at the helm and taking Jermaine Hylton off of us.

Jermaine is on fire 5 in his last 8 Shocked
« Last Edit: Monday, November 12, 2018, 17:57:48 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 18:00:29 »

I'll get back to you after 7:00 ish.

I mean would you want Solihull Moors.... about 11 places between us and them, seemingly heading for terminal basket casery with Jed at the helm and taking Jermaine Hylton off of us.

Jermaine is on fire 5 in his last 8 Shocked

"i doubt we have enough to see off a conference side"  Zzz im disappointed iv let you destroy me this early in the week. you would think you were chief poster on the macclesfield forum the way you chat on. then again i reckon they are probably more enthusiastic than you
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 18:26:00 »

"i doubt we have enough to see off a conference side"  Zzz im disappointed iv let you destroy me this early in the week. you would think you were chief poster on the macclesfield forum the way you chat on. then again i reckon they are probably more enthusiastic than you

As was discussed yesterday, we've lost our last 4 times to Conference sides.... with better teams than this one. It really has nothing to do with being "negative" rather just observing what goes on in the football world.

The gaps between non leagues and Div 3 and 4 really have closed up in recent years.... obviously a lot of factors like more teams in non-league being full time, but I also think the top two tiers being composed of so many foreign players means a concentration of British players, who've been through academies and dropped out, aggregate in large numbers of fairly similar standard, in the lower reaches.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 18:33:08 »

To be fair to Reg, football fans are a negative bunch by and large - some studies show that reaction to losing comes with a significant order of magnitude vs. the impact of a win.  So a team could win half it's games and lose the others, and fans would generally see the season as being poor rather than good, or average.  We therefore find it is easy to look for fear factors, like pulling out stats about teams we haven't beaten in forever, like the 1927 team has any bearing on current performance.  I'd imagine more fans finish each season believing their team has under performed against those who believe it to have been a success.

Given our season so far, you'd probably suggest a win was as likely as a loss against any League Two opposition.  The evidence of the season so far also suggests we have a 100% win record against teams below our level. BUT, remember Grazzioli's Ghost is much more important in all this.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 18:34:42 »

Has there been a highlights show? I’m struggling to find anything on catch up.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 18:37:51 »

To be fair to Reg, football fans are a negative bunch by and large - some studies show that reaction to losing comes with a significant order of magnitude vs. the impact of a win.  So a team could win half it's games and lose the others, and fans would generally see the season as being poor rather than good, or average.  We therefore find it is easy to look for fear factors, like pulling out stats about teams we haven't beaten in forever, like the 1927 team has any bearing on current performance.  I'd imagine more fans finish each season believing their team has under performed against those who believe it to have been a success.

Given our season so far, you'd probably suggest a win was as likely as a loss against any League Two opposition.  The evidence of the season so far also suggests we have a 100% win record against teams below our level. BUT, remember Grazzioli's Ghost is much more important in all this.

How would you regard Chelsea U 21, above or below our level.  Hmmm
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 18:49:07 »

Has there been a highlights show? I’m struggling to find anything on catch up.

BBC iPlayer -> Categories - > Sport -> The FA Cup
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 19:09:05 »

How would you regard Chelsea U 21, above or below our level.  Hmmm

Friendly game, impossible to compare.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 19:22:47 »

Friendly game, impossible to compare.

The way they ripped us a new arsehole without breaking sweat, i’d Say top championship at least.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 19:31:15 »

you say that, but they lost 3-0 to Newport.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 20:15:06 »

you say that, but they lost 3-0 to Newport.

I’didnt waych that game to comment on it. I know what I saw at the CG and my opinion is based on that.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: