Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v York City - FA Cup Rd 1 official match day thread  (Read 26687 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 15:26:58 »

You've lost sight of being able to sustain a viable league club is a worthy ambition.... there is now a world below us that didn't exist say 30 odd years ago, when we previously occupied 17th spot in Div 4. There's not a whole lot of difference between clubs in Conference N and S and us in playing standards, and really there is no reason other than some sort of stubborn pride in our club, that will stop us finding out.

You’ve lost sight of the fact Football is still a competitive sport and object is still to win.

Get rich or die trying...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 15:44:21 »

Quote from: chalkies_shorts
During my self imposed McCormick excile, I've been watching supermarine who are div 7 equivalent. I've seen very little difference in quality to the shit served up by town the last few seasons. In fact, I've enjoyed the games a lot more. 

oddly enough yesterday I had a near identical conversation with one of thel ST holders that sits near me that does still go to Town. Nearly word for word in fact.

personally I think there probably is a difference in standard, but that it doesn't make a difference to enjoying a game.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 15:47:38 »

You’ve lost sight of the fact Football is still a competitive sport and object is still to win.

Get rich or die trying...

Quite the opposite.... I've said a win is a win at any level and represents success... your post suggested a win v lowly York is no reason to celebrate.

We've seen today Cambridge get turned over by Guiseley... who sit on the same points as York, well down Conference N.  Cambridge easily beat us a few weeks back... however much we might not want to believe it, this is the sort of small club level at which we operate. I understand why it isn't something for everyone, but there are still, albeit dwindling numbers, who enjoy the rituals.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 15:52:23 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 17:01:48 »

A small point... if we lose in R2 we still have a game on R3 day, because Macclesfield are out. That’s always a good thing.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 17:02:41 »

A small point... if we lose in R2 we still have a game on R3 day, because Macclesfield are out. That’s always a good thing.

Macclesfield Town P-P Swindon Town
Frozen pitch

Smiley
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 17:04:27 »

Let us hope we do. The last thing we need is Smeetons doppelgänger pontificating over the merits plus or minus of a fixture pile up.
REDBUCK

« Reply #156 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 18:12:14 »

During my self imposed McCormick excile, I've been watching supermarine who are div 7 equivalent. I've seen very little difference in quality to the shit served up by town the last few seasons. In fact, I've enjoyed the games a lot more.
Supermarine are a great little club and I'll continue to watch them when back at town.
Town have seen year on year decline. The Power years  have sucked all enjoyment and hope out of the club. Yes there's a club to support but at what cost. I can very easily see us in the conference, unthinkable a couple of years ago. A little bit of distance from the club helps to see things a  bit more clearly. Unless something radical happens this club is fucked for the foreseeable future.

Oh please look at me everybody what a martyr I am
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 18:15:07 »

Oh please look at me everybody what a martyr I am

I think you’ll find real hero’s and ‘martyrs’ were honoured at 11.00 am today....
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 21:15:34 »

Let us hope we do. The last thing we need is Smeetons doppelgänger pontificating over the merits plus or minus of a fixture pile up.

Tell me about it. I unfollowed / ignored him yesterday, first time I’ve ever done so to anyone, and can highly recommend it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 21:51:28 »

It is. We've a 100% losing record at Moss Rose, so possibly avoiding a Tuesday night game is a bonus.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 09:57:02 »

Not had a chance to post my thoughts on Saturday's game yet, and another story has really taken precedence so here goes.

We got to the ground about 2.35 to try and hunt a programme (my dad picks one up for a friend who can't get to games anymore but loves to read the programme) which ended up fruitless. We went into the club shop where they told us they had sold out. This was quite irritating, bearing in mind the much smaller crowd.

Onto the game and we lined up with Iandolo LB, wolf RB and Twine, Adebayo and McGlashan as a front 3. We started the game quite well and the front 3 combined for a neat goal finished brilliantly by Twine. This seemed to pep the youngster up and static York defending saw Twine fashion a chance for himself which he hit the outside of the post.

Our 'dominance' faded a little and York scored just before the half time break with a poor goal from a Swindon perspective. York started the second half brightly and had a bit of a spell, spurred on by their fans. They didn't really manage to create any clear cut chances and I think, personally, they ran out of steam and we took control.

During the final half hour we created more then enough chances to win 2 games. I thought Iandolo was putting in some cracking deliveries with his left foot which York struggled to deal with. Adebayo should have done better with a free header, McGlashan missed a header coming in at the back post and Adebayo should have scored when Dunne put him through but the keeper made a good save. Finally Anderson pathetically missed the target 6 yards out when presented with the ball after a mix-up at the back between 2 York defenders. It looked like it wasn't going to be but another well worked move saw the classy Alzate finish off from a McGlashan pull back. That was basically game over and 2-1 flattered York somewhat.

As for the players, I thought Dunne was excellent throughout and showed great character. Iandolo put in some beautiful deliveries with his left foot. Almost Matt Tayloresque! Wolf was a bit chaotic and made some mistakes. The front 3 looked quite good, Twine was great for the first 20 minutes but faded after. Hopefully the gametime will do him good. Adebayo worked hard but just kept losing his footing time after time. His chance that the keeper saved summed up his game, not terrible but frustrating. Same could be said of McGlashan, got in good positions and got 2 assists but weirdly I was disappointed with him. Alzate oozes class as always and worked well with Dunne.

So Brown's last game is to lead us into Round 2. York were pretty crap but we didn't exactly look head and shoulders above them, until about 70 minutes when they tired. Hopefully the new manager can get this squad of players up the league and into Round 3 with the big boys.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 10:11:08 »

Hopefully the new manager can get this squad of players up the league and into Round 3 with the big boys.

Looking at the results from the weekend and it is going to be very difficult to get a favourable draw.  Most clubs left seem to be norvern, so a long road trip, but worse the likes of Rochdale, Accy, Blackpool, Bury, Carlisle, Fleetwood, Southport only get tiny crowds.  Stockport away or probably Wrexham away would be terrible, and Salford still lurk, and I'm sure then Beeb would fancy doing a job on us with that.

The plum draw would be Sunderland, up there.  A good road trip for the committed, and we haven't played them for a while, plus a tidy gate. Pompey would be OK.

« Last Edit: Monday, November 12, 2018, 10:18:10 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 10:22:58 »

Looking at the results from the weekend and it is going to be very difficult to get a favourable draw.  Most clubs left seem to be norvern, so a long road trip, but worse the likes of Rochdale, Accy, Blackpool, Bury, Carlisle, Fleetwood, Southport only get tiny crowds.  Stockport away or probably Wrexham away would be terrible, and Salford still lurk, and I'm sure then Beeb would fancy doing a job on us with that.

The plum draw would be Sunderland, up there.  A good road trip for the committed, and we haven't played them for a while, plus a tidy gate. Pompey would be OK.

Oxford/FGR?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 10:31:29 »

Oxford/FGR?

We play FGR twice and have had them in the LC.... wouldn't want another, as for Oxford, not for me, but I guess it would make some happy.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 12:18:05 »

Personally I'd hate to draw Oxford. We're at the worst we've been for... fuck knows how long, ever?... And I can't deal with that feckin song... 8 in a row would it be? I can't remember, Oxford fans seem to change the rules on what counts as a win or not.

I wonder why we didn't take advantage of the 19 in a row.... Maybe we're just not that tinpot.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: