Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is success?  (Read 12845 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 14:00:23 »

me, Mrs me, me jr and me jr jr
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 14:22:18 »

me, Mrs me, me jr and me jr jr

Batch's batch

The collective noun for a group of Town fans these days would be a 'meh' I guess.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 14:23:20 »

Good point. Everything has been shit since 17:05 on 24 May 2015

Actually the game kicked off at 17:30, so I'd say since 17:33, when beckford scored Preston's first. The game was only going to go one way after that, and sadly so was the club as it turned out. The thought of being a top-end L1 club in the fight for the play-offs would be plenty to regain my interest. As it stands, I find it hard to justify the cost of going to a game.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 14:29:44 »

Captain Fantastic playing through the pain barrier for all of 20 seconds when he was clearly not fit to even be on the bench 🙄
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 14:59:03 »

say that took us to 8th quagmire, would you still class it as success?
No, to be fair I wouldn’t.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 15:15:58 »

nor me, it's a good starting point but i need a playoff minimum to consider a season as  success at this level (hypothetical I know).
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 15:36:21 »

Basically success for ANY football club should be continuous progress & improvement.

The aim should always be to finish higher up the Pyramid than you did the previous season. Only exceptions being if your league form takes a dive due to having a real go at (and possibly winning) a major trophy.

I expect Wigan, Swansea & Birmingham fans have happily traded existing in the PL for (eventually) getting relegated but having seen their team win a major trophy.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 15:45:23 »

Continuous improvement is impossible so you'd never be happy in that scenario. Classic example is Charlton, who got ideas way above their station and deemed being a midtable Premier League club as unsatisfactory.

I've accepted we're a small club and always will be, and will never really be anything more than a 3rd tier club but I don't mind. It's a shame given the size of the Town and catchment area but that's how it goes.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 15:47:34 »

Success is probably pushing top end of league 1 at the moment.

Problem is people think we should be up there by right based on history and crowd sizes. Unfortunately I'd imagine a lot of clubs with lower crowds have higher revenue streams than us now as other than ticket sales and sponsorship we don't really have any other sources of cash and Jed obviously sold off the catering. In terms of facilities the CG is probably amongst the worst in the football league as we don't even have any exec boxes or sources of non matchday revenue, we've just got left behind and as much as Power has his faults it's 25 years of stagnation that has caused our status to plummet.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 15:51:25 »

Continuous improvement is impossible so you'd never be happy in that scenario. Classic example is Charlton, who got ideas way above their station and deemed being a midtable Premier League club as unsatisfactory.

I've accepted we're a small club and always will be, and will never really be anything more than a 3rd tier club but I don't mind. It's a shame given the size of the Town and catchment area but that's how it goes.

Wise words.... beating York will be a success.

Another example would be Huddersfield, won 3 league titles in a row from 1926.... how could they improve on that?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 20:45:13 »

1 title seeing as not a single fan will remember the previous 3
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, November 9, 2018, 01:03:54 »

1 title seeing as not a single fan will remember the previous 3

I'm sure Terriers fans would regard the last 2 seasons as success.... despite in 16/17 having a negative goal difference and a leading scorer with 12, yet reaching the PO's and not winning a game in regulation time. Then given the circumstances, staying up with only modest investment...  Alex Pritchard... was Brownesque at Hull.  You have to be realistic
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: