Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is success?  (Read 12848 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 06:28:30 »

Or to put it another way - what would you, the fan, be happy about where STFC is in the footballing scheme of things?

Success means different things to different people. To Power it probably means surviving as a League club sustainably.

To Brown it’s probably good enough to actually have a job - there are only 92 available.

To the players it’s probably similar to Brown but with a few more options.

Now, to the fans! Generally, fans are never happy. Yes, it’s been shit for years now and with little likelihood of improvement soon, but personally it’s the lack of entertaining football that does it for me.

If does irk me when I look at nearly all our opponents in L2 - how has it come to this. Trying to eke out a result at shitty little clubs we should be pounding. Worrying about getting a result against the likes of Stevenage et al.

Would I be happy with a similar existence in L1 - nah. It’s the journey that’s exciting. The arrival is just the start of more meh.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 06:52:08 »

shotr-medium: to be regular contenders for promotion to the championship, with the occasional success at it!

long term: to be in a position to be able to survive financially if we did make it to the championship (I guess that ground ownership comes into this). obviously we'd be one of the smaller teams in those terms.

I know a hell of a lot has to happen for it to be achievable, and the is a window to hit. The gap between league 1 and championship is ever widening due to parachute payments.

entertaining football is a bonus not a staple for me. It's about success. I don't want to be Crewe of a decade ago - ooooh they play nice football and develop youngsters - but don't actually win enough to go up.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 07:56:34 »

Being in the mix for promotion to the Championship, with the occasional cup run. Not faffing around in mid-table in the bottom division.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 08:09:37 »

Being in the mix for promotion to the Championship, with the occasional cup run. Not faffing around in mid-table in the bottom division.
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 09:23:30 »

Being in the top 7 in League One with the (very) occasional season in the champ might entice me back. I can't get excited about making up the numbers in League Two.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 09:28:32 »

Fella who plays for Watford.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 09:40:23 »

This was what I used to consider as "normal" rather than "success".  The drip, drip from the premier league means that the automatics spots "ought" to be taken up by "big clubs" these days but play off contention would be an unremarkable measure of "success".

Cup runs were once not uncommon but, PDC apart, humiliations outnumber runs considerably.  We seem cursed really.  Power saved the club from Jed.  He now embodies stagnant mediocrity.

Success would be holding our own in the Championship on the back of ambitious marketing, ground redevelopment and Black-style investment and management, but sustained.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 09:52:35 »

Playing entertaining football, looking like a side with some ambition, with a decent stab at promotion alternate seasons (and sometimes achieving it)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 10:06:00 »

It's a cliche, but I take each game as it come ... win and it's a success, draw and it's not so bad, lose and well some loses are worse than others. 

That short term perception leads into the longer term of the season.  We've seen enough of this one to know, success will be staying up, once upon a time player development might have come into it, but now any player you like will just be sold on. This prevents thinking too much about future sides as they'll mainly turn over season on season.

However, it does mean that the next home game v Carlisle, is as big a game as any we've had in recent years, if we are to be successful this season in maintaining league status, then the home form needs to turn around as quickly as possible.

Although the Cumbrians have a decent away record, they did lose at Macc, then follow up with a point at Sincil Bank, so just maybe we'll catch them on a bad day rather than a good day.
REDBUCK

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 10:16:00 »

Success would be holding our own in the Championship on the back of ambitious marketing, ground redevelopment and Black-style investment and management, but sustained.

I see this as over achievement rather than success given our history.  Success is just a season on season thing to me
REDBUCK

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 10:18:15 »

However, it does mean that the next home game v Carlisle, is as big a game as any we've had in recent years, if we are to be successful this season in maintaining league status, then the home form needs to turn around as quickly as possible.

This is probably very true but the general apathy means it's treated with a shrug of the shoulders and a crowd just squeezing over 5,500.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 11:06:05 »

This is probably very true but the general apathy means it's treated with a shrug of the shoulders and a crowd just squeezing over 5,500.

It will be interesting to see the gate on Saturday. The FGR LC game got a crowd of near 3 and half thousand. This on the back of a cheap tickets, like on Saturday.  Not bad considering Cooper put out effectivlely a second string XI, only 4 players being Saturday regulars.  OK they still won, but their budget is bigger than ours.

You'd like to think we could match that and perhaps being a Saturday and the FA Cup, get it up to 4,000.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 11:21:21 »

I don’t really see the point in being involved in football - be that an owner, manager, player or fan if you don’t want to win things?
So surely success is winning more games of football than you lose every season, regardless of what level you play at.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 11:35:43 »

Success would be to be able to encourage people of this town to come and support the club rather than strut around in Liverpool shirts. If Reading can manage it why can't we?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 11:36:25 »

say that took us to 8th quagmire, would you still class it as success?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: