Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Foreign currency exchanges  (Read 5669 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:24:44 »

Anyone tried any of these instead of the usual bank/bureau exchanges. Are their rates substantially better?

I’ve signed up to TorFX for a trial but have always been reticent about using financial companies for certain things.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:29:29 »

Check out britishexapts.com, these places get discussed quite frequently.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:36:38 »

Had a quick look. I know my query isn’t really country specific but that forum covers almost every country under the sun apart from the 1 I’m moving to!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:38:02 »

The sites remain consistent though, so in each country site you probably get the same companies being discussed.  Guessing you are looking for Pound/Euro FX.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:41:43 »

Yeah - pound/euro. How I long for the rate when I first moved to Ireland - almost £1.50 to the euro!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:45:31 »

Yeah - pound/euro. How I long for the rate when I first moved to Ireland - almost £1.50 to the euro!

Yeah similarly when I moved to Luxembourg the rate was around that and everything seemed 'cheap' (especially booze in supermarkets which is brilliantly cheap over there compared to the UK).

Now, its anything but! £1.15 or something now is it?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:47:32 »

The pound has ‘leapt’ to 1.13 and a bit on the back of Theresa May blowing Leo Varadkar
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 17:17:50 »

If going to one of the high street chains i can't recommend buy back enough if you think you will bring some euros back and want to exchange it back.

I brought home 120euros last week and for shits and giggles i asked how much i'd get at one of the kiosks at Heathrow, 83 quid they offered me. Back at asda, without buyback it wasn't much better but but got the same rate as i exchanged them for and was 22 quid better off.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 17:28:57 »

1.45 in June 2015.  Then Cameron got elected without being able to claim the Lib Dems would block a referendum.  The rest is history.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 18:57:51 »

Just get a halifax clarity card. Free withdrawals abroad. No need to worry about left over money.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 19:23:20 »

I think, as he is moving out there, he needs it more than just for a few transactions, possibly for a few wedges?  The FX companies can offer very good rates to do that v.s the charges for Wire transfers between banks.  I get whacked for about 3 or 4 % to transfer from a USA Bank to HSBC in the UK.

That is another option though, HSBC have a global banking system which avoids charges when moving funds between linked accounts (they are crap over here so don't use them)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 19:33:20 »

Had a quick look. I know my query isn’t really country specific but that forum covers almost every country under the sun apart from the 1 I’m moving to!

Greece or Kefalonia itself?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 19:41:41 »

Greece. Must be a fair few out there.

I’ll be transferring a decent amount out there when I’m ready to buy a place and even a small increase in the rate will make a difference.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 22:44:21 »

I've been using TorFX for a couple of years, whenever I've needed to top up my Euros from my UK account. They've been reliable and you can make transfers online. They would offer a better rate for a large amount, worth shopping around though when the time comes.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 11:37:57 »

I've been using a Caxton FX card for overseas trips the last couple of years.  FX rates are reasonable, and no charges for withdrawing cash abroad.  You can also time your currency purchases for up coming trips when you think the rates are good.  I find it very convenient.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: