Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Remembrance  (Read 3076 times)
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 15:51:20 »

Have you been through Queens Park recently?
There are posters displayed on trees there of young men from Swindon that served in the Great War.
Worth a visit to read of the fate of many of these men and boys.
Kind of puts life into perspective.

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:04:58 »

My father served in the Great War, but survived, or I wouldn't be here now.

ust be the oldest
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:07:18 »

The first person to say that poppies are banned gets an idiot badge on their profile.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:21:01 »

The first person to say that poppies are banned gets an idiot badge on their profile.

I notice that even the RBL have come out this year and publicly said they are not aware of it ever being banned. Linked to this I am getting thoroughly sick of the politicisation of the poppy and it being plastered all over social media, in my case mainly by people whose normal stock posts are EDL and UKIP based.

Also been rather intriguing to see that shite thrown at James McClean yet Matic got a very easy ride?

Its getting frankly absurd that there is now this underlying pressure to be seen to remember, which rather flies in the fave of the whole fact of the freedoms our forefathers were bravely fighting to protect.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:38:59 »

I notice that even the RBL have come out this year and publicly said they are not aware of it ever being banned. Linked to this I am getting thoroughly sick of the politicisation of the poppy and it being plastered all over social media, in my case mainly by people whose normal stock posts are EDL and UKIP based.

Also been rather intriguing to see that shite thrown at James McClean yet Matic got a very easy ride?

Its getting frankly absurd that there is now this underlying pressure to be seen to remember, which rather flies in the fave of the whole fact of the freedoms our forefathers were bravely fighting to protect.

The James Mclean thing is tedious as hell, wearing a poppy isn't mandatory, its a CHOICE and as you rightly say, exactly what the many people that lost their lives in both the first and second world wars died for.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:41:03 »

McLean is a bit of a dick though, but not for not wearing a poppy.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:50:13 »

I had dog called Poppy once
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:51:55 »

I had dog called Poppy once
So did we....
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:56:14 »

So did we....
I still have .....

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 17:00:05 »

McLean is a bit of a dick though, but not for not wearing a poppy.

I'm sure McClean isn't the Irishman to play football in England and be passionately against Remembrance Sunday... but then football clubs decided that iron-on poppies on shirts was the way forward...

Roll Eyes
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 17:11:03 »

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 17:25:46 »

horrendous, Horlock

Can't stand the my grief and/or respect is deeper than your's twattery. 

I wear my poppy this week and this week only.  Why are all the cunts on tv so eager to start weeks ago?

Why do we seem to need two minutes silence these days.  Weren't people respectful enough in the past with just the one minute?

I'm sure none/very few of the war dead were heart on sleeve, look at me types anyway.  Just respect them.  Quietly.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 18:05:46 »

Remember for one day a year, then make sure "great wars" don't happen again for the rest of the year.

Find it strange that people who choose to wear white ones can get stick for doing so.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: