Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester Utd v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 41670 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:40:12 »

missed Brown's comments.  fully agree that the lack of a replacement has proved highly damaging.  Bayo needs someone to feed off and indeed to learn from. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:41:33 »

we will ease past York unless Brown plays the youths. given his job is on the line he will take it seriously.

with regards to being vigilant, you are absolutely right. Personally I think the only thing the fans can do in such circumstances is to unite in protest. Not because it'll make a difference, but because it's all they can do.

Given the injury problems and the possibilty of clubs not wanting their loan players used, we may have little choice other than sticking out anybody who is available...
Flashheart

« Reply #272 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:46:36 »

Bayo was looking very good not so long ago, I was very excited by him. Brown seems to be making players underperform individually and collectively.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:57:30 »

I wouldn’t be surprised if this season Brown is under instruction to keep us in this league on an agreed and accepted tight budget, with the purchase of the ground being the catalyst for an increased budget underpinned by other investment streams based on the procurement of SN1 next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 11:21:24 »

I get the impression that Brown is managing like someone safe in the knowledge that he will still be here in May and probably next season as well.
No real evidence, just the comments about experimenting and needing to see more of some players on the pitch etc.

Had a quick look at the teams who made the autos in the last couple of seasons and all of the managers were at least in their second full season with their clubs and some had gone through a season or two of struggle as well.

The longest serving gaffer in Div 4 is Jim Bentley. He does a fine job in keeping Morecambe in the league, could he do a Coleman at some point?

The next 2 are McGreal and Cooper, both May 2016, and both clubs ColU and FGR are benefitting from that bit of stabilty.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 11:27:51 »

4 consecutive seasons of failure - each becoming more desperate and damaging than the last. It seems to matter not what manager is here or what squad is assembled, the entire club seems to be plunging headlong down the leagues.

This season feels like the season before we got relegated from L1. Did OK to stay up but the regression continued the next season and down we went.

Lack of success, and yet again entertainment, is going to see diminishing attendances followed by a playing budget cut and the whole sorry situation getting even worse.

With certain players seemingly ostracised from the squad entirely on the flimsiest of excuses points to not all being well behind the scenes, too.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #276 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 11:38:41 »

With certain players seemingly ostracised from the squad entirely on the flimsiest of excuses points to not all being well behind the scenes, too.
Pre game Brown and Bayo were interviewed and they both said there was one of the happiest off pitch squads they have ever had, and I think they both genuinely meant it, there was no hesitation when asked about off field things from either of them.

Also the behind the scenes film with Jimmy Bullard he commented about the good feeling in training.

On the pitch that doesn't come accross though.

Under PdC the players were scared of him, with Williams the players treated him as a mate and he wouldn't reprimand them, under Cooper the players didn't respect him. I don't know how the players look at Brown but his tactics are obviously confusing them.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 11:45:58 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 11:47:58 »

If they're happy under these circumstances then we are doomed.

Bye

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #278 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 11:50:40 »

If they're happy under these circumstances then we are doomed.

Bye

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 15:19:58 »

Hmmm

There’s nothing to suggest Brown’s job is on the line. He isn’t under pressure from the fan base, sure a fair few groans online, but we aren’t at a stage where we are seeing protests or even any chants questioning his position.

Reg has summed it up far better than I can but ultimately we have seen nothing to suggest the owner was serious about mounting a promotion bid this season, so I’d say we are performing as expected. That yesterday’s opponents were able to poach our best striker with a bid we couldn’t refuse speaks volumes.

Fans need to adjust their expectations and face up to the admittedly grim reality - we are simply making up the numbers and that will remain the case until there’s some real investment. In the meantime, every season above the trap door should be considered a success.

One curio about Div 4 is that the points needed to stay up can vary quite alarmingly each season.  To give an indicator we know from many dire Div3 campaigns  that 52 is usually cut off, Ok we went down in 81/82 with 52 but it's only happened a couple of times, since 3 points for a win.

However in Div 4 in the last few years you can find teams 3rd bottom on 42/43.... and teams relegated on 50/51.  In other words if you've a couple of basket cases you can get away with the lower points total, but a season where you don't have 2 the points required is pushed up.

So this year, already Macc are looking booked in, however we've yet to go there and have a 100% losing record at Moss Rose... that will need to change.  Another imponderable atm is Cheltnumb, are they going to show signs of revival  Hmmm, our problem with them is that we've yet to play them, and we know what happens when we do.  Trying to reverse recent history v Numb and picking up a couple of draws, may decide our fate this season.

It's interesting that Numb, went down the route of the sort of managerial change we will no doubt persue if Brown goes.... namely get shot of the experienced boss and promote from within, and then a newbie Duff, who's had 9 league games and not won.

Couple of games in the week where clubs use up their game in hand.  Notts v Oldham, the most interesting, a point for Oldham will drop us down to 17th.... but would keep a nice gap to Notts.  Grimsby at Mansfield, a win for the Mariners would bring them up to 3 points adrift of us. Mansfield hard to beat, mind.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 15:22:13 »

I long for 2 points from Cheltenham

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Sir red ken

« Reply #281 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 17:21:00 »

However in Div 4 in the last few years you can find teams 3rd bottom on 42/43.... and teams relegated on 50/51.  In other words if you've a couple of basket cases you can get away with the lower points total, but a season where you don't have 2 the points required is pushed up.

Based on our current form of 5 points from 6 games, we could be sailing a little too close to the wind this year.
We could be looking to retain our league status by the grace of others being more shite than us.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: