Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester Utd v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 41653 times)
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #255 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 23:55:47 »

Before you all slit your throats, be wary of what you wish for. I saw poor old York City today, they lost 4-1 at home in a league 2 levels lower than us. The fans are at loggerheads with the owner, the ground has been sold from under their feet, and they’re about to move to a soul-less new ground in a shopping centre miles out of town.

Could easily be us if we’re not vigilant.

BTW they’re not a bad team on that showing, strangely enough. Captain/centre back sent off after 25 mins, they’ve got a new manager, a bunch of solid giants inc a decent striker, Burrow, skilful midfielder Moke and big Jon Parkin coming off the bench. Wouldn’t surprise me if they bullied us into a draw, gives us a chance to visit a real old ground before the bulldozers do their worst.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 01:45:59 »

Before you all slit your throats, be wary of what you wish for. I saw poor old York City today, they lost 4-1 at home in a league 2 levels lower than us. The fans are at loggerheads with the owner, the ground has been sold from under their feet, and they’re about to move to a soul-less new ground in a shopping centre miles out of town.

BTW they’re not a bad team on that showing, strangely enough. Captain/centre back sent off after 25 mins, they’ve got a new manager, a bunch of solid giants inc a decent striker, Burrow, skilful midfielder Moke and big Jon Parkin coming off the bench. Wouldn’t surprise me if they bullied us into a draw, gives us a chance to visit a real old ground before the bulldozers do their worst.

Excellent post Wilf. There's a lot of complacency amongst Town fans atm...  we are where we are, because we're not very good, perhaps not bad enough to drop, but we may well flirt with it. Be interesting to see how much difference there is between us and a Conference N side... last year we had a bit too much for Dartford, a S equivalent, but we're not as good this season.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 02:21:01 »

A bit too much? We fucked em by 5

Things get better but they never get good
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 03:11:18 »

Excellent post Wilf. There's a lot of complacency amongst Town fans atm...  we are where we are, because we're not very good, perhaps not bad enough to drop, but we may well flirt with it. Be interesting to see how much difference there is between us and a Conference N side... last year we had a bit too much for Dartford, a S equivalent, but we're not as good this season.

I imagine we'd probablhy win the conferece south, and maybe make some money on the way back up.

I quite fancy us for first team to play in premier and then go down to non-league. Weren't we the first to do levels one and four since the 1992 prem reinvention of everything?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 03:59:39 »

I'm sure we've all had friends or relatives who have no interest in foot tball, say to us "I can't see what all the fuss is about, it's just 22 men kicking a ball around" and you may tell them to fuck off or just smile indulgently because we all know there is far, far more to it than that and they will never be able to grasp just how much more it does actually mean.

For me today though, it was exactly that. It was dreary, dull and joyless. The first half was one of the worst I've ever seen. The second started off pretty much the same until the subs were made when we actually showed a little bit of life. Fuck knows what Brown was doing with that team selection, it was pathetic but meh, whatever. Fair play to all of you who still care enough to debate the merits of various players, formations, the manager, refereeing decisions, Power etc, I really can't be fucked with it. I feel like the life has been sucked out of me where STFC is concerned.

I had this epiphany after a home game (maybe Oldham?) when Paul Hart was in charge. I missed more home games under Hart than I had in the previous 20 years.

I’ve been to 3 games since, watched 2 games on the TV and watched 3 minutes of our play off final before I switched off.

I genuinely feel like a recovering addict whose life got a lot better & more enjoyable when I binned off the hardcore fandom and down graded to being a ‘supporter’ ‘follower’ whatever terminology you want to use.

The PdC era nearly bought me back in. I will be honest, I fucking loved the swagger, the slight hint of arrogance and degree of hate it bought us.
It felt like everyone want to see us fail and we turned that into comradery (was he the Italian boy?) and stuck two fingers up to everyone. Our attitude was to work harder than everyone and strive, no demand perfection. Anything less wasn’t good enough. That galvanised the fan base.

Now, we have no comradery, no ambition, no desire to progress and nothing about us. I know I’ve said it before but we are just here to make up the number; a pathetic existence.

I’d imagine following Swindon each week feels like a chore & is strongly advise anyone who feels that way to reassess their priorities and decide whether it’s really worse it (it isn’t)

Aside from all of that Brown is doing a terrible job and should be gone first thing Monday morning
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 04:02:02 by DV Canio » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 07:55:08 »

York really were shafted by their owners I believe?  A case where owning a ground turned out to be a curse. 

Not the same but I believe Ground ownership by the Trust can give the supporters a close  equivalent of a "golden share" in STFC
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 08:31:42 »

That's all well and good Will but what does it actually mean in real terms? There's fuck all we can do about it when it comes down to it.

Believe me, every time I've looked at the Conference table in the last 15 or so years and seen the likes of Chesterfield, Lincoln, Cambridge, Grimsby, Orient, Hartlepool, Wrexham etc (some of those have obviously come back up albeit after a good few seasons at that level) I have thought to myself "There but for the grace of God go STFC and who is to say it won't be us at some point?"

That's not to mention the likes of Stockport, Hereford, Darlington and most pertinently, next week's opponents York who have slipped even further down the greasy pole. Did the fans of those Clubs fail in their vigilance? I'm pretty sure all any of them could do was sit back and watch their Club go to hell in a hand cart.

The two highlights yesterday were 1. The sun finally going behind the the stand opposite just around half time (although that meant we had a better view of what was happening on the pitch so that was a mixed blessing) and 2. The thought there are enough teams even worse than us for us to not go down - this season at least - although having just looked at the table I see we're only 10 points ahead of the drop zone so maybe as Reg says, that's me being complacent. We'll see.

Edit: ...oh yes...and next week will be one hell of a battle which I can imagine us being totally unprepared for.

Would't put any money on us to go through.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 08:37:55 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 09:16:34 »

we will ease past York unless Brown plays the youths. given his job is on the line he will take it seriously.

with regards to being vigilant, you are absolutely right. Personally I think the only thing the fans can do in such circumstances is to unite in protest. Not because it'll make a difference, but because it's all they can do.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 09:17:21 »

The problem is that there is no logical reason why we should suddenly improve. We are lacking dreadfully up front and no matter what combo Brown comes up with in his seemingly muddled mind we are still slack at the back and have no creativity in midfield.

A perfect storm.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 09:25:18 »

I get the impression that Brown is managing like someone safe in the knowledge that he will still be here in May and probably next season as well.
No real evidence, just the comments about experimenting and needing to see more of some players on the pitch etc.

Had a quick look at the teams who made the autos in the last couple of seasons and all of the managers were at least in their second full season with their clubs and some had gone through a season or two of struggle as well.

I dunno.

As for the game.
Made it to the place where the shuttle buses normally wait.
Nothing there. Waited at another bus stop for a few minutes. Then headed off home.

Couple of home games coming up and 3 wins out of 4 suddenly doesn't sound so bad ahead of the visit to Port Vale.
Yeah I know.

« Last Edit: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 09:48:31 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 09:58:57 »

we will ease past York unless Brown plays the youths. given his job is on the line he will take it seriously.
Hmmm

There’s nothing to suggest Brown’s job is on the line. He isn’t under pressure from the fan base, sure a fair few groans online, but we aren’t at a stage where we are seeing protests or even any chants questioning his position.

Reg has summed it up far better than I can but ultimately we have seen nothing to suggest the owner was serious about mounting a promotion bid this season, so I’d say we are performing as expected. That yesterday’s opponents were able to poach our best striker with a bid we couldn’t refuse speaks volumes.

Fans need to adjust their expectations and face up to the admittedly grim reality - we are simply making up the numbers and that will remain the case until there’s some real investment. In the meantime, every season above the trap door should be considered a success.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:04:30 »

ok fair comments.

I don't expect him to get sacked after losing to York, but i do expect a fan reaction of it happened. a tipping point.

if we continue with the current league form will see him gone at Christmas. Because we'd be in a relation slide. We won't lose though.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:10:16 »

Agreed, should we be properly sucked in then his position would be untenable and I’m sure even Power would recognise that. I admire your optimism re. York but we’ve seen better sides lose similar matches....hopefully we go for it from the off and can put the match to bed early doors.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:29:24 »

Power's commitment to playing success is very questionable, but

That yesterday’s opponents were able to poach our best striker with a bid we couldn’t refuse speaks volumes.

bit of an exaggeration.

loadsa pens and a 1 in 4 striker with the touch of a..........?  that striker?  I was pleased to see the back of him and for a fee was great.  (decent worker but best striker, really?). Richards with 11 from 20 was the clearly our best striker. 

last season. 
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10:35:36 »

I was simply quoting PB in the week, I was also glad to see him move on and consider him one of the worst finishers I have seen at the club. However, it is hard to argue that our failure to replace him could cost us at the end of the season.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: