Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester Utd v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 41656 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:35:14 »

On the bright side we can still achieve 108 points 😃
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:37:53 »

A free hit today, we’ve avoided a real dent being put in our goal difference and we remain above the dotted line....it isn’t a disaster.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:40:13 »

starting away games with a more defensive, limited team and then bringing on the likes of Alzate and Anderson as the game opens up generally in the 2nd half doesn't sound shocking in itself.

Don't feel Bayo is up to being a target man and Richards certainly isn't.  Someone like Nile Ranger could open things open a lot more for the two we have though as well as the midfielders.

Could be Vigs out for a fee and a striker in. I'm still hoping to be proved wrong but it looks like Brown has run out of time to deliver and STFC should not be caught short as we plan a 2nd half to the campaign.

Shame.  Hated Flitcroft but like Brown.

I'd be gobsmacked if we got a fee for Vigs.  Brown's clutch game was last week, today was a free shot. He'll get a few more games now, to try and turn the home form around.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:40:52 »

A free hit today, we’ve avoided a real dent being put in our goal difference and we remain above the dotted line....it isn’t a disaster.

And we’re still in the FA Cup.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:42:51 »

And we’re still in the FA Cup.

And the Boycott.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #230 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:51:45 »

as this run of winless games is our worst ever in Div 4
It can't be as we won last week. You can't be on a winless run when you won in the last match.

Under Beamish in 84 we went 8 games without winning once. In fact we won just twice in 15 games at one point in early December to March.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:53:50 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 17:53:25 »

At some point if things don’t improve Mr. Hawes or Powers friendly BBC phone in mate Shaun Hodgetts should ask Brown if he was the owner would he sack him?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 18:04:31 »

I'm sure we've all had friends or relatives who have no interest in football, say to us "I can't see what all the fuss is about, it's just 22 men kicking a ball around" and you may tell them to fuck off or just smile indulgently because we all know there is far, far more to it than that and they will never be able to grasp just how much more it does actually mean.

For me today though, it was exactly that. It was dreary, dull and joyless. The first half was one of the worst I've ever seen. The second started off pretty much the same until the subs were made when we actually showed a little bit of life. Fuck knows what Brown was doing with that team selection, it was pathetic but meh, whatever. Fair play to all of you who still care enough to debate the merits of various players, formations, the manager, refereeing decisions, Power etc, I really can't be fucked with it. I feel like the life has been sucked out of me where STFC is concerned.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 18:12:36 »

It can't be as we won last week. You can't be on a winless run when you won in the last match.

Under Beamish in 84 we went 8 games without winning once. In fact we won just twice in 15 games at one point in early December to March.

This is is the complete quote....

that will hinge on the home form turning around, as this run of winless games is our worst ever in Div 4,

Ken Beamish only ever managed a run of 4 home games without a win
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 18:40:00 »

This is is the complete quote....

Ken Beamish only ever managed a run of 4 home games without a win

Reg would be so proud of your statistical prowess.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 18:43:58 »

He is Reg. HTH.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 19:20:16 »

I'd be gobsmacked if we got a fee for Vigs.  Brown's clutch game was last week, today was a free shot. He'll get a few more games now, to try and turn the home form around.
Vigs could be better than the current Liverpool keeper - and the Arsenal keeper - based on an enjoyable TV match tonight.  He certainly won't fetch a fee after January.  Either way, we have the luxury of two very decent keepers, one with rather more potential, except on the fee front.

I think the time has come NOW for STFC to start trying to identify a probable replacement for Brown who now looks to be on the verge of definitively underachieving.  If we get 12 points from the next 6 and the form matches the points then perhaps not.  No harm preparing the ground now.

I think a replacement for Brown would need to be watching the match streams and considering, with Power, what might need to be done in the January window.  We should be prepared.

As mentioned, not sure that Power sees it that way or what he regards as acceptable.  It's his call, innit.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 19:23:28 by RedRag » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 19:57:31 »

Have we sacked the useless fucker yet
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 19:58:38 »

Vigs could be better than the current Liverpool keeper - and the Arsenal keeper - based on an enjoyable TV match tonight.  He certainly won't fetch a fee after January.  Either way, we have the luxury of two very decent keepers, one with rather more potential, except on the fee front.

I think the time has come NOW for STFC to start trying to identify a probable replacement for Brown who now looks to be on the verge of definitively underachieving.  If we get 12 points from the next 6 and the form matches the points then perhaps not.  No harm preparing the ground now.

I think a replacement for Brown would need to be watching the match streams and considering, with Power, what might need to be done in the January window.  We should be prepared.

As mentioned, not sure that Power sees it that way or what he regards as acceptable.  It's his call, innit.

I said after the summer recruitment that there was nothing that indicated Power had any interest in anything much more than a midtable season with perhaps an outside chance of a PO slot. It's why in Div 4, down to 7th place  is available, gives the middling teams something to aim for until late in the season.

With that in mind Brown is doing pretty much as expected. As long as we don't completely implode, and start to really explore the nether regions of Div 4, he'll be OK.  Atm 16th is the lowest position we've ever occupied after a significant number of Div 4 games, namely more than 10 in the regulation season. 83/84 we only dropped to 17th after a couple of sides played postponed matches after our last game.

We need to make sure though we keep those 6 sides between us and the drop zone.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 20:04:07 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #239 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 20:20:37 »

I can't see him surviving if we don't beat York.

Having said that, Power does seem to dither when it comes to fixing things. I don't have a problem with the appointments he's made, it's his inaction when things are not working that infuriate me. 
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: