Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Escape to Oz  (Read 5080 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 22:41:40 »

One of the best meals I’ve had was in Vue du Monde in Melbourne. Not a bad view of the bay either. Echo what others have said about the MCG. There will be Test cricket on at both MCG (between Xmas and NY) and SCG (the nicer ground, albeit smaller) in the new year. The Boxing Day Test is quite something. I was one of 95,000 watching Mitchell Johnson destroy England in 35 degree heat a few years ago. Well worth an early evening in the bar outside the Opera house. It’ll cost you an arm and a leg for a drink, but as settings go, it doesn’t get any bettter.
ChChNZRED

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, November 4, 2018, 06:03:09 »

If you head to Melbs head down Lygon Street it is just full of restaurants and they all try to entice you with drink and food deals. Also the markets there are decent and do the MCG depending what time you are in Sydney till in Jan be able to see big bash games or the test vs India if you are into cricket.

In Melbs we went to a show which was good so maybe look into that sort of stuff as well, I like Melbs is a amazing City.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 11:56:17 »

Another vote for seeing the Phillip Island penguins when you are in Melbourne, and walking across the bridge in Sydney, absolutely fantastic.

If you get the ferry to Manly, try to go over during the day & back at night, or at least dusk as the city is starting to light up, it gives a totally different view. Similarly you can go up the Sydney Eye just before dusk which gives great views over the city as it starts to light up. There's something similar in Melbourne too, (I think its called The Edge), theres a bit with a glass floor that sticks out from the side of the building which is good fun but although its a really nice chilled out city, Melbourne doesn't really have as many iconic sights to see. you can see plenty of sporting arenas though, MCG, Rod Laver tennis, Grand prix circuit etc

The Blue mountains is also good, there's a cable car that goes across between 2 big mountains which is good fun.

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 15:07:06 »

Another vote for blue mountains here. Also Taranga zoo in Sydney, try go later in the day as the views over the whole of sydney are amazing
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 15:32:57 »

Another vote for blue mountains here. Also Taranga zoo in Sydney, try go later in the day as the views over the whole of sydney are amazing

+1. Did a good minibus tour of the blue mountains.

Went so long ago any recommendation on restaurants would be well out of date Smiley

Sydney - Did go and take a tour around the Olympic stadium. Its not that exciting I suppose, but did kick yself when we got to the pool, didn't take swimming trunks - a swim in the pool was included.

Melbourne - hired a car and drove down the Great Ocean Road a bit, came back on some ferry and stopped off for fish and chips. Did Philip Island for the blasted ice rats- stayed  and there was a spider in the shower. Didn't go near it. Got laughed at as it was a "common brown" apparently.

Now had you been going to Brisbane I had a couple of other better suggestions. But you aren't. Boo.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 16:54:56 »

Thanks to all again for the suggestions, all appreciated.

FWIW I have no real interest in cricket, but the MCG does sound like a must see, regardless.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 18:53:39 »

They do aussie foot/hand/jumping about stuff as well! Seriously though probably the only sports stadium that has made my jaw drop.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: