Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best and worst over-the-hill 11  (Read 20074 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:52:06 »

Here's the relevant part of Froggy's OP.....
Yes a point I missed first time, which is why I added the (loan) in brackets after posting, of course you never missread or miss things do you  Hmmm

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:02:22 »

Tony Galvin was some way from his peak as far as I remember

I can only remember him from the 3-0 Home win against Plymouth when Simpson & Close got sent off (poss 89?)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:06:32 »

Yes a point I missed first time, which is why I added the (loan) in brackets after posting, of course you never missread or miss things do you  Hmmm

However it all adds to the debate.... which is a good thing.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:06:35 »

I can only remember him from the 3-0 Home win against Plymouth when Simpson & Close got sent off (poss 89?)
He had the nickname 6X for a reason, a drink he liked to partake in during his time at Swindon.

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:12:04 »

He had the nickname 6X for a reason, a drink he liked to partake in during his time at Swindon.

He showed he had some class and always had his socks around his ankles. Never understood this.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:16:35 »

He showed he had some class and always had his socks around his ankles. Never understood this.
You could always see that he USED to have some good skills but by the time he arrived he was way past it.

Lots of players back in the 70s and 80s never wore shin pads, Bobby Barnes and Steve Claridge were 2 of them who hated them too.

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:17:49 »

Lots of players back in the 70s and 80s never wore shin pads, Bobby Barnes and Steve Claridge were 2 of them who hated them too.

Proper Football............
Peter Venkman

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:21:04 »

Proper Football............
Considering the amount of times Bobby Barnes was kicked as he jinked around defenders that was always a surprise that he chose not to wear them.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:21:52 »

I always thought Adi Whitbread was useless seeing as he cost 」500,000 - although, tbf, it was hard to shine in that PL season.

Also for the fact that he was used in p/ex to get Beauchump here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:26:58 »

I always thought Adi Whitbread was useless seeing as he cost 」500,000 - although, tbf, it was hard to shine in that PL season.

Also for the fact that he was used in p/ex to get Beauchump here.

Whitbread was 22 when joining us, from a lower league side.... and had a lengthy career after leaving us. 
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:30:52 »

Considering the amount of times Bobby Barnes was kicked as he jinked around defenders that was always a surprise that he chose not to wear them.

It wasn't the done thing though was it? I bet players from that era have some good scars.

Remember when Stigger ran his studs down a Ipswich player's shin in a televised game leaving sizeable calling card ??
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 11:31:27 »

You could always see that he USED to have some good skills but by the time he arrived he was way past it.

I remember when shin pads were material with canes inserted longwise.  When the lightweight plastic jobbers came along it was proper exciting, not having played 11 a side in anger for about 40 years, I've no idea whether the technology of the intervening years has made them even better?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 12:03:20 »

It wasn't the done thing though was it? I bet players from that era have some good scars.

Remember when Stigger ran his studs down a Ipswich player's shin in a televised game leaving sizeable calling card ??
There were some proper challenges back then! I would say that probably in the 70s and early 80s possibly as much as 1/4 of the players didn't wear them, but some had them as thick as the Encyclopedia britannica! (often centre backs)

I remember when shin pads were material with canes inserted longwise.  When the lightweight plastic jobbers came along it was proper exciting, not having played 11 a side in anger for about 40 years, I've no idea whether the technology of the intervening years has made them even better?
My first shin pads when I started playing when I was about 7 back in the early 70s were bamboo strips, by the time I started playing in the school team at Gorse Hill about 3 years later they were plastic and with polystyrene backing, I hated wearing them.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 13:22:39 »

I think Galvin got his last International cap while playing for us!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 13:27:45 »

I think Galvin got his last International cap while playing for us!
He did, his last international cap for Eire was September 1989 vs Germany a couple of months after joining us, he was never called up again though.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: