Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best and worst over-the-hill 11  (Read 20075 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 21:02:37 »

loan though wasn't he?

Nope. Just quickly regretted.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
ExiledEric

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 21:12:01 »

Tony Galvin was some way from his peak as far as I remember
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 21:56:44 »

Galvin was player Assistant Manager, but I don’t remember him being much cop on the pitch for us.  We had a couple of the 90’s teams that returned to us late in their careers looking over weight and somewhat having lost their lustre.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 23:06:51 »

David Geddis. Steve White. Dave Bamber.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 09:38:47 »

Remember that guy we got from Walsall the season we went down in 05/06... He was a Gills legend and turned us down the previous summer to sign for Walsall  before being released and heading here. I thought was actually okay but clearly unfit and ultimately we went down so one perhaps for the forgettable.

Paul Smith was the name I believe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:00:48 »

Tony Evans, Jake Findlay, Bryan Hamilton, Roy Greenwood, Dave Moss's 2nd spell, Rideouts 2nd spell(loan), Ian Muir(loan), Paul Richardson, Brian Marwood, Tony Galvin, Andy Mutch, Lillian Nalis, Lawrie Sanchez, David Geddis, Frankie Mcavennie, Brian Kilcline, Neil Webb(loan), Jamie Cureton, Gareth Whalley and Tony Thorpe were all pretty shit in the twighlight of their careers before joining us.

In fact you could make a couple of shit teams from that line up.

Not sure you could include Bobby Barnes in that list RF as he was only 25 when he joined us.

As for the good, we have had many, Steve White, Brian Borrows, Ian Culverhouse, Mark Walters, Paul Allen, Freddie Darras, Mickey Hazard and several others.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:04:53 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:03:13 »

Darren Ward could make the both the best & worst over the hill squads based on his time with us.

Gary Elkins, a contender for worst 11 regardless of age.
I agree about Ward, similar could be said about Reeves who had a couple of torrid seasons with us as well as a couple of decent ones, I had forgotten about Elkins.

Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:10:29 »

Has anybody mentioned Tommy Miller yet?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:11:23 »

Tony Evans, Jake Findlay, Bryan Hamilton, Roy Greenwood, Dave Moss's 2nd spell, Rideouts 2nd spell, Ian Muir, Paul Richardson, Brian Marwood, Tony Galvin, Andy Mutch, Lillian Nalis, Lawrie Sanchez, David Geddis, Frankie Mcavennie, Brian Kilcline, Neil Webb, Jamie Cureton, Gareth Whalley and Tony Thorpe were all pretty shit in the twighlight of their careers before joining us.

In fact you could make a couple of shit teams from that line up.

Not sure you could include Bobby Barnes in that list RF as he was only 25 when he joined us.

As for the good, we have had many, Steve White, Brian Borrows, Ian Culverhouse, Mark Walters, Paul Allen, Freddie Darras, Mickey Hazard and several others.

Many on your list though are not players who've performed at a high level and dropped down, or in some cases not in their 30's, when arriving at the CG like Chalkie  As has been pointed out the likes of Brian's Hamilton and Marwood brought something to their respective sides, so were far from useless.  Of more concern is the many recent and current players we have who've never got up the hill in the first place. 

To listen to some on here they'd have BOO back at LB rather than Taylor as he could run up and down a bit, when he wasn't abusing his body.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:17:56 »

Many on your list though are not players who've performed at a high level and dropped down, or in some cases not in their 30's, when arriving at the CG like Chalkie  
Almost every player I mentioned was over 29 when they joined the Town, of the list of crappees every one of them had at one point played top division football except Ian Muir who scored a shitload of goals for Tranmere before coming to us , my mistake he scored a shitload after signing for us! hes the odd one out.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:20:52 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:30:47 »

Almost every player I mentioned was over 29 when they joined the Town, of the list of crappees every one of them had at one point played top division football except Ian Muir who scored a shitload of goals for Tranmere before coming to us , my mistake he scored a shitload after signing for us! hes the odd one out.

Muir was a loan though, so doesn't count, as was Webb.  Mutch wasn't dropping down he was stepping up, his time with us his only top flight season, he wasn't completely useless considering he was playing at a higher level than usual.

You used to get someone like a Geddis, who could be brought in during the season, to act as short term cover, and be a squad man.  Now the gaffer in his case Macari, probably didn't expect him to be able to replace Shearer and White, but he did score 3 in his 10 games all on the road and we did get to the PO's, so he did a job, was just an OK player i the circumstances.

Similarly, I think Richards was brought in by Flitcroft with the remit of score me a dozen goals til the end of the seasoin and get us into the autos or at least PO's..... similar was Paul Benson, ahd we gone up, like with Benson, Richards may not have featured much at Div 3 level.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:46:12 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:32:30 »

Has anybody mentioned Tommy Miller yet?

Miller something of a curio, we only lost 7 games of his 34 league appearances in 12/13, so was he good or useless?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:32:34 »

Ady Williams was pretty good for a season or two having had a very good career at Reading and Coventry.

Adi Viveash's second spell was pretty dreadful.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:44:16 »

Muir was a loan though, so doesn't count, as was Webb.  Mutch wasn't dropping down he was stepping up, his time with us his only top flight season, he wasn't completely useless considering he was playing at a higher level than usual.
Hence why I made a point of stating loan in my poast. for the first 2 before you quoted it.

Mutch, yes he played at a level lower all his career thats true but he did represent England B in the late 80's.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 10:50:50 »

Hence why I made a point of stating loan in my poast. for the first 2 before you quoted it.

Mutch, yes he played at a level lower all his career thats true but he did represent England B in the late 80's.

Here's the relevant part of Froggy's OP.....
(not loanees) - ie. having had illustrious careers further up the pyramid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: