Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best and worst over-the-hill 11  (Read 20081 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 18:39:06 »

Dave MacKay, pretty much on his own as the biggest c*** ever to turn out for STFC - and there have been a few!  

He also replaced the Don with a player who never turned out in British league football again after his spell here, Tommy Jenkins.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 18:44:12 »

Jimmy Quinn is a curio, he was 40 when he turned out in his 3rd spell at the CG
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 18:47:00 »

To qualify for the Best Xi I would think they have to look like they are in the wrong division - so despite their age we are left wondering how lucky we have been.  The worst XI the opposite, so a player like Fenwick, as ineffectual as he was, didn't drop down to play for us!

Paul Allen is a good call Reg, he was a class above and came with energy.  He looked like he should still have been playing higher, same for Culverhouse.  Hoddle and Hazard, both being good enough to leap back up the league in terms of clubs they next played for!

Nallis would certainly be in the other team, although, most frustrating, was seeing that he had clearly been a good footballer, it's just that he sort of got footballing dementia-arthritis if that could be a proper thing.

Was Kenny Allen any good?  I remember him, just, but only because he looked like a School Caretaker had been given a go on the pitch.  I honestly cannot recall whether he was any good in goal or not.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2018, 18:49:38 by RobertT » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 18:48:20 »

Good shout.

If you just wanted an old keeper who'd played a lot at a low level, then Alex Ferguson who played 7 games post war, aged 44 would be yer man.

David Lucas would kind of fit that bill.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 18:50:17 »

Brian Borrows
Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:03:33 »

Steve McMahon was a handy player for us. Still a cunt, though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:06:45 »

To qualify for the Best Xi I would think they have to look like they are in the wrong division - so despite their age we are left wondering how lucky we have been.  The worst XI the opposite, so a player like Fenwick, as ineffectual as he was, didn't drop down to play for us!

Paul Allen is a good call Reg, he was a class above and came with energy.  He looked like he should still have been playing higher, same for Culverhouse.  Hoddle and Hazard, both being good enough to leap back up the league in terms of clubs they next played for!

Nallis would certainly be in the other team, although, most frustrating, was seeing that he had clearly been a good footballer, it's just that he sort of got footballing dementia-arthritis if that could be a proper thing.

Was Kenny Allen any good?  I remember him, just, but only because he looked like a School Caretaker had been given a go on the pitch.  I honestly cannot recall whether he was any good in goal or not.

An interesting criterion flip... so to be in the best XI, they have to have dropped down yet still play like they're in the higher Div. Makes it a bit tough....  someone like Brian Borrows, looked like he belonged a rung below his previous, despite still being useful. Whereas yes, a Walters looked like he could still do something higher up.

I think you'll struggle to get XI who dropped down, after years but looked like they could move back up.  Think if they've dropped down and you get some good service out them then that's more realistic.  There's usually good reasons why they've dropped down
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:16:20 »

Brian Marwood. Not many appearances but didn't let the side down.

Darren Ward could make the both the best & worst over the hill squads based on his time with us.

Gary Elkins, a contender for worst 11 regardless of age.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:37:31 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
REDBUCK

« Reply #23 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:16:47 »

Ian woan
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:51:29 »

Another game I was at  Smiley
At least he got stuck in  Grin

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:58:52 »

Frank McAvvenie....epic panic buy fail

Clems Army!
Sir red ken

« Reply #26 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:59:27 »

Didn't Ossie Ardiles pull on a shirt for us as player manager?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 19:59:29 »

In the bad XI, then Ken Keyworth gets a mention. Poor old Ken had been a useful player for Leicester appearing in the cup finals of 61 and 63, scoring in 63, and was in their 64 LC winning side. But to prove the rule that there is a reason why they drop down, he was carrying an injury, that did for him. Always a shame when that happens.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 20:06:36 »

He was only on loan, but Andy Gray was awful, couldn't make it out of the centre circle.  Might be saved from entry by playing a win over Oxford though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 20:41:45 »

Quote from: THE FLASH
Frank McAvvenie....epic panic buy fail
loan though wasn't he?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: