Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football Yearbooks  (Read 3773 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 12:52:18 »

Having a bit of a nostalgia minute, I recall in the mid 80's for a couple of seasons each year I had a football yearbook with all the squads results etc in them, looking on line the only ones I can find are the Rothmans ones and the look of them doesn't ring any bells, I am sure the ones I had were smaller than a normal paperback book, but very thick?

Any ideas?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 13:06:24 »

Having a bit of a nostalgia minute, I recall in the mid 80's for a couple of seasons each year I had a football yearbook with all the squads results etc in them, looking on line the only ones I can find are the Rothmans ones and the look of them doesn't ring any bells, I am sure the ones I had were smaller than a normal paperback book, but very thick?

Any ideas?

There used to be Playfair annuals, and the News of the World annual pocket .   Tony William's Football Club Directory was also around from Mid 80's to 90's.

Internet killed them all off. Happily in cricket the Playfair and Wisden are still revered.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:10:05 »

Any ideas?
As Reg has already said  I would imagine these would have been the News of the World annuals,  pretty sure they are still publishing these,  or they were not so long ago.    Doubt if they sell that many as its just as easy to go online these days.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:19:12 »

As Reg has already said  I would imagine these would have been the News of the World annuals,  pretty sure they are still publishing these,  or they were not so long ago.    Doubt if they sell that many as its just as easy to go online these days.

Looking on line I reckon they were the News of the Screws ones....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:19:51 »

As Reg has already said  I would imagine these would have been the News of the World annuals,  pretty sure they are still publishing these,  or they were not so long ago.    Doubt if they sell that many as its just as easy to go online these days.

You can't even get the NotW these days Murdoch binned it after the phone hacking scandal.  

The modern football fan isn't really interested in stats and stuff, believing as they do that football only started in 92, and no sides matter in GB beyond London and the North West.

They'll be the sort in favour of the latest leak of proposals for 5 sides from these areas to leave the Prem and join a nascent European Super League and pull up the drawbridge on the rest.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:44:38 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 20:37:12 »

There used to be Playfair annuals, and the News of the World annual pocket .   Tony William's Football Club Directory was also around from Mid 80's to 90's.

Internet killed them all off. Happily in cricket the Playfair and Wisden are still revered.

The Tony Williams one was light blue and sponsored by Barclays in the early 90s. I loved them and still have a few.
Review of the season, season stats and, my favourite, squad lists with all their previous clubs, transfer fees and goals/appearances. A nerd’s dream back then
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 23:45:41 »

The Tony Williams one was light blue and sponsored by Barclays in the early 90s. I loved them and still have a few.
Review of the season, season stats and, my favourite, squad lists with all their previous clubs, transfer fees and goals/appearances. A nerd’s dream back then

That's the one... it morphed out of the non-league Directory, which is the proper nerd's bible. There were always loads of mistakes in the LC Directory, which added to the charm... they also tended to fall apart after a good season of thumbing.

However by luck I got a hard back copy for the 85/86 season.... just as well as there were so many STFC records broken that year.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 10:00:37 »

I remember back in the 70s the football pools collector used to hand out a free booklet at the start of the season. It was packed with all the stats from the previous season. My used to get them for me. I also remember the notw book.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 11:29:38 »

Can't remember the name, but I used to get a footballing annual every Xmas. Think the name was Buchan, but could be wrong.

One year it had a full colour pic of Ron Yeats. Could do with him at the CG
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 11:38:13 »

Can't remember the name, but I used to get a footballing annual every Xmas. Think the name was Buchan, but could be wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Buchan
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 11:56:56 »

Famous Shankley quote to the assembled press. " Take a walk around my centre half, gentlemen"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: