Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who Do we blame ?, Power/Brown/Players or fans ??.  (Read 49000 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 17:06:53 »

I like your analysis, indeed there's nothing wrong with our position that say a nice little run of 4 wins in a row couldn't put right, for the time being.

However the concern is the lack of goals which is now reaching historic proportions of shitness for any Div let alone 4. 1 goal and an OG from open play in the last 9.

Good point. I think we have enough in us though (current team pre Jan window) to scramble at least 1 win in every 3 of our remaining games. That would give us 9 wins so would see us on c48pts. Surely also worth at least 5 draws among that period too? Would see us finish on c53pts. That's actually assuming that our form were to get even worse. On current showing we're actually heading for a season form of something close to;

Team W   D    L    Pts
Town 14  15  17  57

Which should put us in that c14/15th position that I believe we'll end up in.

I'm going at come back at halfway plus 4 (27 games) and explore this. On my basis in 9 games we should be on something like;

Team W   D    L    Pts
Town  8    9   10   33

I would of course like better but we would be on course for mid-table mediocrity and not the relegation meltdown, that seems to be being injected into many at present.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 17:12:11 »

The last run of similar shitness was in 96/97 in Div 2, however very different context, then we'd had a reasonable season, up until 10 games to go, when we got stuffed 7 at Bolton, but bounced back to beat Stoke 1-0, with 8 games to go, at that point we were 3 points off the PO's on 52..  you'd imagine the players psychologically knocked off, as we only scored 1 in the last 8 and picked up 2 more points from 0-0's never in any real danger of dropping though.

So whereas now we're on 3 from 9.... then we had 2 from 9.

Sorry Reg, only just seen your edited response. I couldn't possibly comment on a season so long ago. Do feel free to check in with Exiled Bob though - I think he has all my ticket stubbs and proof of existence.  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 17:14:10 »

One major thing is we need to start games quicker, our stats for half time. Not good enough.

Home P9 W0 D4 L5 GS1 GC7
Away P9 W2 D2 L5 GS5 GC7
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 17:22:49 »

One major thing is we need to start games quicker, our stats for half time. Not good enough.

Home P9 W0 D4 L5 GS1 GC7
Away P9 W2 D2 L5 GS5 GC7

That's interesting and we definitely do need to start quicker but that also infers we have;

Won 3 more when we've been behind at HT.
&
Most glaringly. When we've been drawing at HT, it's stayed a draw! I wonder if that trend continues? Good one for the betting man. Shows up the fine margin of being on 1pt and converting it to 3pts or 0pts.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 17:23:02 »

Bottom of the 1st half time league,  mid table second half league.

I was wondering if the second half league 'form' is because due to their first half lead teams sit back, let us attach and soak up the pressure/watch us fail to hit the target.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 17:42:49 »

Home P9 W0 D4 L5 GS1 GC7
Away P9 W2 D2 L5 GS5 GC7

That is interesting.... sort of links in with the we haven't scored first in a home game yet.   I assume we have an analyst looking at this stuff, but it make you wonder why we don't come out of the traps more rapidly?  Is it that it is felt the players aren't fit enough, so need to pace themselves to last the 90?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 18:03:05 »

When Alzate is our top scorer from open play*, you know we’re in the brown stuff.

*guessing, but not far off I reckon
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 18:09:53 »

I'd have said it was Adebayo myself without looking. Still brown stuff territory though
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 18:26:10 »

Alzate has 2. But you’re right -Adebayo must have scored a couple more.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 18:50:52 »

Alzate has 2. But you’re right -Adebayo must have scored a couple more.
4 from memory - MK, Yeovil, Tranmere & Morecambe.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 20:04:53 »

That is interesting.... sort of links in with the we haven't scored first in a home game yet.   I assume we have an analyst looking at this stuff, but it make you wonder why we don't come out of the traps more rapidly?  Is it that it is felt the players aren't fit enough, so need to pace themselves to last the 90?

I often wondered, before stats became such a thing in football, whether there was anything to be gained from other sports.  Specifically, as a fan, the 49ers of the 80's/early 90's used to pre-script 15-20 plays at the start of games, so come what may they ran a defined play to test the defence and ensure they started a certain way.  I wondered if you could do something like that in football, play a certain way for 10 minutes, then maybe switch for 10 and see where the game was going at that point before deciding how to approach the rest of the game.  Maybe play the first 5 like it's the last 5 and you need a goal to get back into the game?  Even if that went badly, just go with it.

Anyway, turned out Le Tissier had taken this to an extreme and just kicked the ball out on purpose at the start of games.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 21:16:04 »

Maybe play the first 5 like it's the last 5 and you need a goal to get back into the game?  Even if that went badly, just go with it.

Anyway, turned out Le Tissier had taken this to an extreme and just kicked the ball out on purpose at the start of games.

Yes scenario replication, if anything the other team might be flummoxed by what the hell you're trying to do (wouldn't it be great if the fans were in on it too and were really cheering the lads on. Could be achieve, piece of paper on home seats "First 5 mins. We've just scored. Singing and chants.") Every one would think your bonkers but it would be an interesting strategy. Something a manager like Ian Holloway would probably be keen on doing.

Yes and there was one time when Le Tissier got it wrong and his own player kept the ball in play!

'Incessant Nonsense'

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 21:40:15 »

I always enjoyed that foreign team where all the fans ran around the stands with arrows pointing to the goal after not seeing them score in x months
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 21:42:56 »

I always enjoyed that foreign team where all the fans ran around the stands with arrows pointing to the goal after not seeing them score in x months

Magdeborg fans in Germany..
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 21:46:42 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 21:56:15 »

Magdeborg fans in Germany..

Something the Quite and Ashamed group could have combined with the Loud and Proud group!

The GW Reds could try this but it would mean we only know what to do when playing towards the Town End, unless the Ball Boys could get the Bank sorted out.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: