Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Notts County v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 34649 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Sunday, October 28, 2018, 15:39:04 »

On the older players, Taylor is being, not just exposed, but targeted by other teams, they have said as much.  We don’t have another option though, so you probably have to play him.  Lancashire has a problem, that seems clear with his mobility, which on its own we could probably cover to keep experience in the side but I don’t think it works when he is covering Taylor.  Keep Taylor and rip Lancashire would be my choice and find a new left back in the window enabling Taylor to sit games out or come on as a sub.

Richards is not finished unless we insist on playing him as a lone striker as we have been all season pretty much.  He cannot play that role and combined with his age it makes for unpleasant viewing.  Not his fault, just never going to be a battler and hold up the play.  He wants to turn he wants to be facing goal.  If we go with two he might still offer the poachers instinct but with one up top I cannot see how Brown does not see the problem.  Probably another example of the midfield recruitment creating a squad shortfall.  If he wanted to play one up he needed to get someone who can play that role if he feels is any better than Richards.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, October 28, 2018, 16:43:46 »

Hmmm thats concerning, one win doesn't paper over his cracks for me, a few more wins and I may support him fully again but its going to take some convincing.

Also as mentioned before, PB has said that no player is immune from being dropped.

I call outright lie on that.

Richards, Taylor and Lancashire have proved that you are a hypocrite and now have to win my support back.

He did actually say in his interview, the first 30 minutes was down to me, was the first thing he actually said.  Not necessarily admitting he got the selection wrong but at least accepting some of the blame.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, October 28, 2018, 17:43:47 »

Brown said before the season started that Taylor couldn’t be expected to start every game.

He has selected him for every league game. Dereliction of duty on Brown’s behalf in his ‘recruitment’.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, October 28, 2018, 19:11:00 »

Been away and that result made the weekend.

Such a relief.  Great win.  Pleased for the players and even more for the 562 that travelled, that is great loyalty.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, October 28, 2018, 21:29:58 »

Been away and that result made the weekend.

Such a relief.  Great win.  Pleased for the players and even more for the 562 that travelled, that is great loyalty.

Amazing what a branch of Hooters can do to up the following.. Long may it stay in business.

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 07:46:38 »

I was away also. Had to rely on TEF for updates as I was sat in the bleachers watching Portsmouth Wenches v Norfolk Brawds at Havant Sports Centre. Roller Derby is different, that’s for sure. Anyway great result and as I have stated, other than Paul Ploughman & his doppelgänger none of you will give a shit about how the three points were won at the end of the season. Onwards to Essex on Saturday.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2018, 12:23:37 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
diggers

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 11:10:40 »

Say what you want about Taylor - but he was still the player who put in a cracking cross, a long way up field for a 30 something "left back" that brought about our winning goal on Saturday. He is definitely being targeted at left back due to his lack of pace (he's never really been a great defender anyway!), but you can't question a bloke's fitness and commitment to the cause, when he's in the final third in the 80th minute effectively winning us the game. It was a quality cross with pace, don't seem to recall anyone mentioning it. I'd bring in a left back in the window and player Taylor on the left side of midfield - he's still our most creative player - which doesn't say much for the rest of the team. Alzate has the potential, but that's what it is at the moment.
Panda Paws

« Reply #262 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 11:13:42 »

Say what you want about Taylor - but he was still the player who put in a cracking cross, a long way up field for a 30 something "left back" that brought about our winning goal on Saturday. He is definitely being targeted at left back due to his lack of pace (he's never really been a great defender anyway!), but you can't question a bloke's fitness and commitment to the cause, when he's in the final third in the 80th minute effectively winning us the game. It was a quality cross with pace, don't seem to recall anyone mentioning it. I'd bring in a left back in the window and player Taylor on the left side of midfield - he's still our most creative player - which doesn't say much for the rest of the team. Alzate has the potential, but that's what it is at the moment.

We've no idea what a MT who isn't being asked to play 50 games looks like. He might be less vulnerable if he's not being ran into the ground continually.

As you said, a LB to rotate with him and then take over next summer is the biggest priority in January. Weren't we linked with someone from the LOI?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #263 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 11:29:25 »

As you said, a LB to rotate with him and then take over next summer is the biggest priority in January. Weren't we linked with someone from the LOI?
Us and several other league clubs too apparently. Don't remember his name but very highly rated.

I mentioned about playing MT at LM with a decent defender behind him and was shouted down by some members, I think it could work.

Nobody doubts his commitment or general fitness, its his lace of pace and defending ability that is noticed most often, that and his free kick/corner/crosses delivery this season have been pretty awful 95% of the time and not the level you have come to expect from him.

We need a left back and a centre forward as priority, because Richards cannot play the lone striker role, and that seems to be the prefered way for PB to set up, simple.

That doesn't mean that Richards is surplus it just means hes not suited to the way PB sets up the team at the moment, he could still be of use coming off the bench or as 1 of 2 central strikers should PB decide to play that way.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 11:52:44 »

If we persist in playing him at left back with nobody supporting him in defence or in front of him, the poor sold will be dead by the end of the season.

I think plenty of people have mentioned he has one key attribute, his ability to deliver a ball.  The question is how to get that out of him.  This season it has become clear that playing left back is ruining him.

His cross was mentioned.  He has the ability to do that more often but I think the demand on his mental and physical abilities is too much this season - having to defend when having little support and having to run up and down the pitch is detrimental to his game, so his crossing is less accurate and less often.  There was one attack where he tried to chase the player back and was fucked by the half way line.  He kept going, but he looked like he'd have taken a bench if it had been available for lay down.  So, his commitment is not at question , nor what he can do well.  I just think he doesn't have the legs for left back anymore and it does reduce his better qualities due to fatigue in the game.

It was obvious after his first game last season that asking him to have legs was going to be an issue - he was awful in central midfield.  He was better at left back when we had work horses upfront and in midfield and Lancashire hadn't lost his spine (literal, not questioning his effort), or whatever it is that is wrong with his body.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 12:23:04 »

I can understand why he divides opinion these days.

On the one hand, the Lincoln manager post-match near enough named him as our weakness. Taylor got rinsed on the day, and was close to tears by the end of the game.

On the other hand, Kewell post-match on Saturday named him as our main strength. And he clearly had a point. 

I still think he's great, partly because, when he gets it right, he's a joy to watch... partly because his attitude is superb, and on a different level to most of the old timers who we've signed during my 20 years of watching... and partly because in recent weeks he's been behind most of our goals (granted, not many, but that makes them all the more important). Golden chances that we've missed (off the top of my head, Dunne and Richards vs Northampton, Richards vs Exeter) have also come straight from him. Sure, he's erratic because he's being overloaded, but I won't believe that 95% of his distribution is "awful".

We went to Crewe without him, who have never been the most solid bunch (we put 7 past them in 2 games last season, and they conceded 6 to Colchester this season) and didn't work their keeper all night. We should be careful what we wish for, and work to accommodate him in the side - with an absolute priority of replacing him properly by the summer.
diggers

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 13:09:27 »

If we persist in playing him at left back with nobody supporting him in defence or in front of him, the poor sold will be dead by the end of the season.

I think plenty of people have mentioned he has one key attribute, his ability to deliver a ball.  The question is how to get that out of him.  This season it has become clear that playing left back is ruining him.

His cross was mentioned.  He has the ability to do that more often but I think the demand on his mental and physical abilities is too much this season - having to defend when having little support and having to run up and down the pitch is detrimental to his game, so his crossing is less accurate and less often.  There was one attack where he tried to chase the player back and was fucked by the half way line.  He kept going, but he looked like he'd have taken a bench if it had been available for lay down.  So, his commitment is not at question , nor what he can do well.  I just think he doesn't have the legs for left back anymore and it does reduce his better qualities due to fatigue in the game.

It was obvious after his first game last season that asking him to have legs was going to be an issue - he was awful in central midfield.  He was better at left back when we had work horses upfront and in midfield and Lancashire hadn't lost his spine (literal, not questioning his effort), or whatever it is that is wrong with his body.

Having read back again - his cross was mentioned in a very fleeting comment about him being involved in the goal. It was a brilliant cross, the defender should have let it go as I have no doubt we'd have fluffed it! It must have been one of the 5% of decent crosses he's apparently put in this season Wink I agree with everything else you say, to me we're expecting too much from someone at the stage of his career. The management (Taylor included) must know he's getting rinsed by the opposition wingers, but they believe they have no-one better in that position at present - the proof is whether they do anything about it in the January window. Be careful what you wish for though, we could end up with another Purkiss type full back, who can't defend or attack! I'm more concerned about the striker position to be honest.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 13:59:28 »

There are ways to help him, we tried it second half where Dunne spent most of his time trying to get out wide when defending to double up and it helped a little.  I'd prefer not to have Lancashire inside him - he gets sucked out a lot s he can't seem to win the header without going through the forward or the pair of them both drop off the attacker once turned.  Not sure if Woolfenden being there would improve that, but I'd like to at least try.

Seeing that we insist on going with one central striker, that is a must fix in the window.  Even someone who can't score but can play the role of bringing in others would be an improvement because Richards can't score in that role either and doesn't have the instincts to hold it up, he wants to face the other way.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: