Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Reading  (Read 3667 times)
Combe Up

« on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 00:09:35 »

Any of you doing Beat the Street in Swindon? It ends at 7pm this Wednesday, 24th October 2018.

We have a chance to take the record from Reading:

"Swindon, you have travelled more than 284,380 miles which is the more than the distance from the Earth to the Moon! Reading travelled more than 297,000 miles in 2016 - can you beat our record holders by the end of the game?" .

Considering there is a home game on Tuesday night, this is achievable.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1oJfJ3pQyFverZLTKRUQBfipjuNkxIHlc&ll=51.57569269354144%2C-1.7732513000000836&z=12  
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 06:30:53 »

I wonder how many people have drove to each stop? I have seen it happen many times. Parent pulls up, kid jumps out.

Classy swindon parents.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 06:36:59 »

Quote from: Sippo
I wonder how many people have drove to each stop? I have seen it happen many times. Parent pulls up, kid jumps out.

Classy swindon parents.
yeah, that's a shame. There are some that do this. Over competative is one thing, but that's cheating

However there are some that play by the rules. I've seen lots of 'went for a ... miles walk today' type posts on my son's schools private fb group. One mum even worked out and did a half marathon running route (for those that don't know, it's a family thing, not just for kids)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 07:00:14 »

This was featured on the BBC news on Saturday I think. Sounds like a great initiative, shame that what Sippo said is entirely believable. What a bunch of arseholes some people are.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Combe Up

« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 07:48:25 »

Well let's concentrate on the positive things, shall we?

I have walked 112.5 miles doing beat the street, and I mean walked - no cheating.

Let's assume there is the same percentage of cheats in Reading as in Swindon, and make an effort to beat them. You can still pick up a card - see original post for the link for details to pick up the card, and then register online.

Then walk to and from work (or part of the journey) if you are based in Swindon, and to and from the match on Tuesday night. The weather is on our side!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 12:48:49 »

My company did the Reading one and there was definitely cheating going on. I had about 5 cards I'd scan at once (although for the average score it made no difference).

It got a bit controversial as well because the headmasters of one of the schools started spying on kids of other schools doing it. Way too competitive.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 12:52:28 »

I'm not in Swindon and had ignorantly not even heard of "Beat the Street" but I do a lot of walking. Since properly tracking my steps to km/mi ratio, I've walked just shy of 194,000 steps (c180km or c115mi) from 26th September - 21st October. I want to hit 250,000 before 26th/27th of Oct.

Looking at how BTS is set up its a great initiative to get people out and about. Maybe one thing they could do is make people use a free app that measures their step count. No mapping or tracking recorded just pure step count. Most phones have an accelerometer these days and if someone really wanted to cheat then they're pretty sad. It would certainly reduce the car driver parents from doing so. As others have said, bit of a shame otherwise.

Well done all taking part properly Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Combe Up

« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 16:15:48 »

Thank you Bambi.

Swindon currently on 288,971 miles. 297,000 to beat. We can do this!

I like to plan my pub crawls using the highest number of Beat Boxes along the way.

Conveniently there is a Beat Box outside the Groves Company, one very near the CG Hotel and one just outside The Merlin.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:02:28 »

Bambi?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:06:11 »

Ah, Neil, Mike, Prick and Vyvan...
Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:18:09 »

Who holds the record for the stickiest bogey?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:25:44 »

Toxteth O'Grady, USA

And who holds the record for sticking the most marshmallows up one nostril (604)?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:29:42 by Batch » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:33:58 »

That's Toxteth again
Combe Up

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 15:48:46 »

+++NEWSFLASH+++

16:36 today

Well done you beauties!!!

Keep going to 7pm on Wednesday

Miles

@BTSSwindon
Swindon, you've done it! You've officially beaten Reading's record of 297,000 miles traveled! How much further can you go before the game ends tomorrow evening? #beatthestreet #swindon #GetTapping @SwindonCouncil
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 17:08:37 »

Nice one, well done all the genuine ones. Be nice to extract the 'real' data for the area.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: