Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield official match day thread  (Read 31171 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 10:04:48 »

Given that the 2 previous ended in defeat then surely Saturday's point represents an improvement  Hmmm

Not in the goalscoring stakes, if Mansfield had 11 on the pitch the whole match it would probably have been a defeat.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 10:44:02 »

Not in the goalscoring stakes, if Mansfield had 11 on the pitch the whole match it would probably have been a defeat.

The lack of goals although predictable, is a worry.... and for PV here's what I said pre-season

"Norris, Mulin and Anderson scored 25 goals between them last season.... Keshi is still with us so someone will need to make up for N n M's 19. Maybe Adebayo, but Jermaine has scored 25 in 285 appearances, so I'm guessing that's not what he's been brought in for.

No, it seems to me that Power is doing enough to try and keep us in the FL, while trying to cut the property deals.. and vaguely hoping that PB might have enough nous to overachieve and get us up."

Runs of 1 goal in 5 games although not unique in my time, has never previously been achieved in Div 4, so that needs to change tomorrow, as 1 in 6 is entering proper terrible territory, of McMahon and John Trollope's relegation season.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 12:21:28 »

I'd like to see Richards dropped, problem is who would be put up front ? would a duo of Keshi and Adi work, I'm not convinced sadly, so maybe play adebor on his own with keshi in behind, again not sure, would work with Woolery upfront or as a lone striker ?

I guess at this moment in time anything is worth a go.

Taylor - I think he needs to stay in the team he still offers something, although as the season goes on we need to think about a replacement and start using him less, but for the moment we can scrape by with him

At the back, we had the partnership of Nelson & Wolfy previous for a game or 2 and I think they played well together but it is not the defence we have a problem with.

Not sure who was to blame Brown or Power for not signing another striker in the summer when Norris was sold....whoever it was is culpable

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 12:58:12 »

Nelson is banned for the game tomorrow - back to Conroy and Lancs I guess.

I thought Lancashire was better on Saturday, one ludicrous pass aside.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:00:34 »

On a general level, the worrying thing to me is the increasing amount of hoofing. When we were playing with a bit of verve up front whilst being dodgy at the back, we had no trouble scoring or making chances as we tended to keep the ball on the deck.

So, either Brown has purposely changed tack or the poor form has morphed us into a Flitcroft-esque style.

It’s all pointless when absolutely no player at the club is a target man. We’ve got the Wolf dropped, who can play a bit, bringing the ball put out of defence and passing it and Brown retaining Lancashire who has little footballing ability at all.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:19:32 »

@bob, could be Woolf + Lancs, or even wolf + Conroy if lancs can't do Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Conroy wasn't in the squad, so I assume Woolf is preferred option right now.

@Audrey. we were definitely playing it long in the first half. But I'm not sure if that is by design or just a lack of confidence/options forcing the issue. I can't see why would anyone play Doughty and Alzate then tell the defence to go long.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:31:39 »

Maybe Brown’s overriding preference for clean sheets and hopefully nicking a winner is how he wants to go.

That’s not for me. Everybody was saying early on how the football was a better spectacle - now it’s as dull as last season.

I’ve come to the conclusion he doesn’t know how to marry up defensive solidity with scoring goals (or even creating chances). How getting our defenders to defend better has impacted on what seems, to me, a decent midfield setting up the strikers is down to him.

Fuck it up tomorrow and he 100% needs to go.
Flashheart

« Reply #217 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:40:03 »

He should abandon the 'clean sheet' mentality and go for trying to score more than they do instead. We were doing better then, and it was more fun.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:40:34 »

The lack of goals although predictable, is a worry.... and for PV here's what I said pre-season

"Norris, Mulin and Anderson scored 25 goals between them last season.... Keshi is still with us so someone will need to make up for N n M's 19. Maybe Adebayo, but Jermaine has scored 25 in 285 appearances, so I'm guessing that's not what he's been brought in for.

No, it seems to me that Power is doing enough to try and keep us in the FL, while trying to cut the property deals.. and vaguely hoping that PB might have enough nous to overachieve and get us up."

Runs of 1 goal in 5 games although not unique in my time, has never previously been achieved in Div 4, so that needs to change tomorrow, as 1 in 6 is entering proper terrible territory, of McMahon and John Trollope's relegation season.

Adebayo and Doughty could conceivably hit that missing total between them, they must be close to half way if not already there.

I'd agree we do not need a striker if we were not playing the set-up we do, but we are relying on people to be creative who are not really goalscorers, so I think we do need someone knocking them in up front in good fashion.  Adebayo doesn't convince me it will be him - up and down, potential but not really a front man.  We are not getting enough goals throughout the rest of the team to compensate, I think.

I'd agree we seem to be able to do one or the other, defend or attack, not both.  It's that issue which worries me most, that we still seem to be trying to figure out how it all pieces together.

I still think he got lured into the sudden signing of Doughty and Dave and both were unexpected and took the budget away.  I just can't fathom McGlashan if we were to then flood central midfield without getting the left side sorted.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:41:19 »

playing devil's advocate, I'm not sure how I'd change personnel from Saturday to fix it.

I know Richards is blowing, so maybe give twine or Woolery a start. doughty isn't 100%. but how does whoever we bring in make us more likely to score?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:42:33 »

Instability causes more problems than it solves. If we get ANOTHER new manager in, we'll be chopping and changing AGAIN in the summer. If you look at most teams in this league that have gone up, they've done so after spending a few years putting sides together.  Impatience will only see us go backwards IMO.
Panda Paws

« Reply #221 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:42:37 »

Home to second-from-bottom... no excuses.

I want to see 3412.

Woolery and Bayo through the middle, Keshi as the 10.

Iandolo, Dave, Doughty, Knoyle.
Conroy, Lancs, Woolf.

Need to start winning, and quickly. Failure to win tomorrow and Saturday and he's going to be under big pressure heading into November, with a tough trip to Col U on the horizon.

Personally have very little faith he'll turn it around now. We'll win 1 of the next 4 or 5 and be 13th/14th going into December.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 13:46:24 »

Instability causes more problems than it solves. If we get ANOTHER new manager in, we'll be chopping and changing AGAIN in the summer. If you look at most teams in this league that have gone up, they've done so after spending a few years putting sides together.  Impatience will only see us go backwards IMO.

^
I agree with Nick. I mean Tails.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Monday, October 22, 2018, 14:34:08 »

Adebayo and Doughty could conceivably hit that missing total between them, they must be close to half way if not already there.

I'd agree we do not need a striker if we were not playing the set-up we do, but we are relying on people to be creative who are not really goalscorers, so I think we do need someone knocking them in up front in good fashion.  Adebayo doesn't convince me it will be him - up and down, potential but not really a front man.  We are not getting enough goals throughout the rest of the team to compensate, I think.

I'd agree we seem to be able to do one or the other, defend or attack, not both.  It's that issue which worries me most, that we still seem to be trying to figure out how it all pieces together.

I still think he got lured into the sudden signing of Doughty and Dave and both were unexpected and took the budget away.  I just can't fathom McGlashan if we were to then flood central midfield without getting the left side sorted.

I think PB's problems were largely to do with uncertainty over Lancashire and Conroy... then Robertson gets injured. So at the start of the campaign, he had 3 dodgy centre halves on the books + Romanski who isn't ready.  The obvious solution was to loan in a couple of CH's, to tide us over to see if the 3 permanents can get up to speed.

Ideally PB might have wanted to use those slots for maybe a LB and a CF.

Tails is right though, we don't need knee jerking atm, but some stabilty, we're not very good, but not that bad.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:13:59 »

Home to second-from-bottom... no excuses.

I want to see 3412.

Woolery and Bayo through the middle, Keshi as the 10.

Iandolo, Dave, Doughty, Knoyle.
Conroy, Lancs, Woolf.

Need to start winning, and quickly. Failure to win tomorrow and Saturday and he's going to be under big pressure heading into November, with a tough trip to Col U on the horizon.

Personally have very little faith he'll turn it around now. We'll win 1 of the next 4 or 5 and be 13th/14th going into December.

I cant see Brown going 3 at the back, he tried it after it worked so well against Plymouth it then failed miserably so he abandoned it, his philosophy has always been a back 4, not sure he will change
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: