Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exeter City v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 42636 times)
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 17:58:17 »

The return of your old mate Flitters on Saturday, Reg. Where would victory rank in your all time STFC achievements? I know it's wildly optimistic to expect anything more than a point but just look at last night's result for evidence that miracles do happen.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 18:37:48 »

4-3-1-2 for me. Gets the best out of Anderson with Adebayo and Woolery up top.

Midfield 3 of Dave, Doughty and Alzate

CBs a problem with any 2 from Conroy, Sid, Wolf - all deserve to start.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 20:00:29 »

The return of your old mate Flitters on Saturday, Reg. Where would victory rank in your all time STFC achievements? I know it's wildly optimistic to expect anything more than a point but just look at last night's result for evidence that miracles do happen.

This is a difficult game to call.. of course conventional wisdom would say a home win is unlikely and a draw most likely, given Stags have drawn all away games, and since we used the get out of jail card in the first 2 home games, we haven't looked like winning at the CG.

But the spanner in the works is Flitcroft.... Brown is still using many of his players, how will they react  Hmmm   I see 2 options, they'll be motivated feeling that he deserted a sinking ship, and want to show that maybe they'll be worth coming back for in the window or summer, for an improved contract, a la Preston.  The other option is that they'll be weighed down by the pressure of feeling they have to justify the Flitcroft outers and haters, by showing up his inadequacies and winning handsomely, in a display of sexy football.  Sort of thing that Glenn Hoddle felt compelled to do against John Beck's Cambridge some years ago.

I'll make a more specific analysis, nearer the weekend, when things like the weather forecast, and injury synopsis after the behind close doors game comes to light.

As to the rating of a win... it'll be just like any other at this stage of the season after a poor trot, a relief and to be celebrated; nothing more. I'll leave the emotional contortions to the outers and haters.....
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 22:06:14 »

We'll win, I'm coming back for this game. How much is it to get in these days?  Huh?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 22:17:40 »

Would love to be at this but I have the luxury of the late December tie against them...I think it'll an even juicier affair and winning away there is always nice on a frosty December evening.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 08:45:29 »

We'll win, I'm coming back for this game. How much is it to get in these days?  Huh?

The pressure ramps up.....
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 09:10:29 »

Leaving bug around 11:30ish!

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 09:29:42 »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=swindon+town+home+tickets

Smiley

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2017/apr-2017/home-tickets/
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 11:58:26 »

Leaving bug around 11:30ish!

Where are you heading to in town? Vic coming?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 12:03:14 »

Just reading back on Brown's interview, I found the following comment interesting:

you’ve got three centre-halves there against two strikers and we couldn’t get it past those two strikers and kept playing it back to a goalkeeper (Luke McCormick) who was hurried and under pressure from the start because of the fans.

Not sure what he means that McCormick was under pressure from the fans, was he getting stick ?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 12:05:46 »

Controversial ex-Plymouth player at Exeter, what do you think!
Flashheart

« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 12:07:25 »

McCormick was booed every time he touched the ball.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 12:28:05 »

But the spanner in the works is Flitcroft.... Brown is still using many of his players, how will they react  Hmmm   I see 2 options, they'll be motivated feeling that he deserted a sinking ship, and want to show that maybe they'll be worth coming back for in the window or summer, for an improved contract, a la Preston.  The other option is that they'll be weighed down by the pressure of feeling they have to justify the Flitcroft outers and haters, by showing up his inadequacies and winning handsomely, in a display of sexy football.  Sort of thing that Glenn Hoddle felt compelled to do against John Beck's Cambridge some years ago.
So, you think we'll win then? The players will either be motivated to play well to impress Flitcroft in the hope that he'll sign them in the Summer, or they'll play sexy football and thrash them to show up Filtcroft's inadequacies.

Not like you to be so bold Reg.....
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:13:27 »

The Exeter fans appeared to spend more time singing about him being a 'murderer' than supporting their own team.
Whilst I in no way condone his actions, the song "it should have been you" was rather cretinous

I come from a land down-under
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 14:28:13 »

So, you think we'll win then? The players will either be motivated to play well to impress Flitcroft in the hope that he'll sign them in the Summer, or they'll play sexy football and thrash them to show up Filtcroft's inadequacies.

Not like you to be so bold Reg.....

The clue is in weighed down by pressure... you can tell a bit about how things pan out in football by listening to Brown, for example he notes how Exeter have departed somewhat from Tisdaleball, and are now more direct, we know from experience it isn't easy to get young usually loan players to perform sexy football consistently in the muck and nettles of Div 4....further he points out how McCormick was affected by the crowd on Sat.

I suppose one grain of hope is that their players might feel some pressure, given that Flitcroft's defection was because he perceived them a better prospect than us. maybe our lot can tap into that.

Generally Stags don't do well at the CG the exception being when they had a decent side under Peter Morris in the mid 70's, but typically their first win since the only other in 38, was because we kindly gave them Ray Clarke, who did the damage  Sad
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: