Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exeter City v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 42632 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 05:19:13 »

I think the old fashioned, been round the block manager has had his day. The Cowleys at Lincoln, Nathan Jones at Luton, Harry Kewell seemingly revitalising Notts County, Michael Flynn at Newport, Matt Taylor at Exeter and others. All young managers doing well.

Sure, Reg can point to Accrington’s gnarled old fella but he is the exception. The club needs a fresh impetus not the old school musings of a fag end manager.
Panda Paws

« Reply #301 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 06:43:14 »

I think the old fashioned, been round the block manager has had his day. The Cowleys at Lincoln, Nathan Jones at Luton, Harry Kewell seemingly revitalising Notts County, Michael Flynn at Newport, Matt Taylor at Exeter and others. All young managers doing well.

Sure, Reg can point to Accrington’s gnarled old fella but he is the exception. The club needs a fresh impetus not the old school musings of a fag end manager.

Absolutely right and if Brown goes, Michael Flynn would be right at the top of my list.

Sam Ricketts doing a great job at Wrexham, Tim Flowers at Solihull, Luke Garrard... lots of potential in the bottom half of L2 and the top half of NL.
Sir red ken

« Reply #302 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 07:08:48 »

Absolutely right and if Brown goes, Michael Flynn would be right at the top of my list.

Sam Ricketts doing a great job at Wrexham, Tim Flowers at Solihull, Luke Garrard... lots of potential in the bottom half of L2 and the top half of NL.
That sort of manager, who's at that sort of level would be brilliant.Add in 4 or 5 non league un-polished turds and I can see where your aiming. We need a shock to the system not more, bargain basement, forward to the conference types. We're a long way off from LP championship in 5 years plan and its not looking good for this season either. Only a radical change will save us becoming an established Div 2 side.
Panda Paws

« Reply #303 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 07:15:49 »

Flynn is doing an extraordinary job. That team, on paper, is NL at best.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 07:52:12 »

You're falling into the trap.... look no further than the Prem. take a season like 16/17 Sunderland and Chelsea's average attendance were both 41000.... Chelsea won the league Sunderland relegated. It's about how much you spend and how well it is invested.

Rubbish.  It is not rational to challenge a generic point by citing selected individual examples that contradict it.  By that absurd logic you could dispute that men are generally taller than women because you know some women who are taller than some men.

There is a clear and obvious pattern of increasing catchment areas as you progress upwards through the divisions.  Yes  Burnley are in the premier league and Sunderland & Portsmouth are in Div 3; the correlation is not absolute at any given point, but it is still the major factor that determines a club's position over time. 

There is a reason why Swindon fans have higher expectations than Morecombe fans but less than Newcastle fans.  It is not that we have fallen into any traps, it is that we can count.   
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #305 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 08:49:27 »

The players we have are good enough. We are in October and the manager is changing formations,dropping our best performers while sticking with the obvious weak links. Taylor 7 Lancashire are costing us week in and week out.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 09:26:41 »

Rubbish.  It is not rational to challenge a generic point by citing selected individual examples that contradict it.  By that absurd logic you could dispute that men are generally taller than women because you know some women who are taller than some men.

There is a clear and obvious pattern of increasing catchment areas as you progress upwards through the divisions.  Yes  Burnley are in the premier league and Sunderland & Portsmouth are in Div 3; the correlation is not absolute at any given point, but it is still the major factor that determines a club's position over time.  

There is a reason why Swindon fans have higher expectations than Morecombe fans but less than Newcastle fans.  It is not that we have fallen into any traps, it is that we can count.  

You defeat your own argument here..... the correlation is not absolute at any given point, but it is still the major factor that determines a club's position over time

Perhaps a factor, but not a major factor

AS you say there is no correlation intra Prem as budgets are skewed by money from other sources... exactly the same happens in the FL. In the Championship budgets are skewed by parachute payments, as well as owner input, in the FL occasionally the same can happen as when Wolves bombed a few years back, you would argue that their immediate return was down to crowd size, yet Wigan have been in the same boat, and get modest crowds.

The season we were in the Prem, they averaged < 2000. They achieved on the back of Whelan pumping in money.

They've recently been sold to Chinese from HK for a tidy sum. Another similar club would be Fleetwood funded by Piley, their 8 mill state of the art training facility, te sort of thing Power might want at Highworth but we're a long way from seeing it happen, despite us getting bigger crowds.

You'd expect us to do better than Morecambe and we are.....

Let me try and explain my argument again.... in today's football, there are potential sources of income, of which gate money is one... for lower and non league clubs, a happy cup run can on occasion make a significant short term difference. Lincoln and Exeter being examples.

The differences in budget caused by gate money, can also be offset by owner investment, like the case of Bormuff.  The season Black pulled the plug it was the Cherries promoted, despite us averaging 2000 more at games.

Power's investment, was in purchasing the club, with the aim of it running on income from gates, and any other windfalls from sponsorships etc. we compete against some other clubs who have a similar policy, but many who are funded to a similar extent by owners or loans taken out against say ground assets etc.

So to look at say Saturday's game and think as you seem to be doing... oh it's only Mansfield, long recent spell in non league we get bigger gates therefore we should be beating these is ridiculous.  We know their budget is bigger than ours due to Radford's money.

Power has brought us to level where we are sustainable, should be able to avoid the Conference trap door, and may have a shot at a PO place with some good running.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 15, 2018, 09:30:54 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 11:36:42 »

aaaaha, the Adver have quoted brown's 'experimenting' post match. I wondered if I'd misrepresented him:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/16982837.phil-brown-admits-he-doesnt-yet-know-best-swindon-town-xi/

"You've got to keep experimenting until you get the right XI out there. I think Exeter have done that over the course of the years, not the last 10 games,'' said Brown.

"Where we're concerned we're experimenting until we're getting the winning formula.

"We're hoping that the emergence of Kaiyne Woolery out of the treatment room, hopefully could be the answer. The system is to get two strikers up there. We'll keep on trying to experiment.
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 11:37:00 »

I think what people are trying to say is that we base our expectations over a long period of time, not just the current status of the club right now.

Although the success at any one time of a football team is down to a large number of factors, the one factor that we can look at and use with a fair degree of accuracy is attendances.

Over say a 50 year period, a clubs average attendance may go up or down by around 20% depending on the league you play in and general success on the pitch, but you're almost always going to get a maximum and a minimum. It's not just the extra money through gate receipts that make a club more successful (although obviously it helps) but a club with a higher attendance is more likely to attract a wealthy owner, or get taken over by a foreign consortium. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but over the period of 50 years I think its the most accurate factor we can look at.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10881263/ultimate-league-reveals-liverpool-are-englands-top-team-followed-by-man-utd-and-arsenal

Have a look at this article - the majority of clubs are 20 places (or less) than their average position and I think we can see that the clubs near the top have large attendances and that decreases as you go down the list. The list has our average as 48, or in the upper echelons of League 1 so I think its realistic to say thats where our expectations lie.

As I say, there are a number of other factors which can have a dramatic effect on performance, but over a long period of time, you base your expectations on an overall success and ours certainly is not mid-table League 2.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 12:09:32 »

A good effort at reasoned argument... however it confirms the point we're a club on the slide.

Putting us in line with the likes of Blackpool, Luton, Pompey, Cov, Notts and Charlton  Noted  basket case clubs to some extent.

The likes of Blackpool and Cov, while still having massive issues, at least managed to bottom out to the extent a bit like our current status, of getting to middling Div 4 and then have a shot at the PO's and be successful in going back up.

Our slide at least seems to have bottomed out for now.... at the time of your survey we were rated 66, Spireites 68. I'm sure their fans would be very happy to aspire  Smiley to that middling status now.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 15, 2018, 12:42:35 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 12:39:21 »

A point on Matt Taylor - at the moment is he probably still the best crosser on the pitch, I think he is more suited to a wide midfield role where he does not have to worry about getting back into position as quick as he has a full back behind him to cover, sadly I'm not sure we have anyone, and playing him in 3-5-2 surely puts even more pressure on him to get back

We need experience on the pitch though so dropping all 3 of the old guard is unlikely...maybe keep Taylor in the team and drop the other 2.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 15:50:22 »

I think was Reg is trying to say is that it doesn't matter how big something is, it's what you do with it that counts.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 16:02:10 »

Michael Doughty was running the official instagram account - he looks a bit porky.
Panda Paws

« Reply #313 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 16:05:25 »

Michael Doughty was running the official instagram account - he looks a bit porky.

He always looks a bit porky (I wish I looked that porky).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 16:16:12 »

I think was Reg is trying to say is that it doesn't matter how big something is, it's what you do with it that counts.

Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: