Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exeter City v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 43520 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 18:22:31 »

Come on then, whose your chosen messiah

Jebus

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Sir red ken

« Reply #241 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 18:23:59 »

Now that, is, the $64k question. As I see it it does beg the question given the budget is there another manager who can make a silk purse out of a sows ear?
There's no way with our current  chairman we'll ever did deep to get a quality manager. Another promotion from within the club or a freebee unwanted manager. I don't want to sound to negative but Mid table Div 2 is where we're staying if we don't drop out of the league.
Flashheart

« Reply #242 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 18:27:20 »

I don't want to sound to negative but

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 19:20:07 »

I (we?) can excuse Browns atrocious record at the back end of last season. Not his team, not playing his type of football.

He has been given the summer to change that.

It comes across like he’s just flinging shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. He doesn’t know his best 11 and he doesn’t know his best formation.

13 games in and despite the changes we are no better off results wise.

That alone should be enough to put him under pressure. We need a consistent team selection and formation which doesn’t include Richards (past it) or Twine (won’t make it)

Will be interesting to see what the clubs ambitions are. I’d like to think mid table div 4 is not it.
Things need to improve soon otherwise we need to consider a change of management (not Taylor)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 19:23:17 »

If he were to go, I’d love us to take a punt on Luke Garrard.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 19:34:29 »

Will be interesting to see what the clubs ambitions are. I’d like to think mid table div 4 is not it.

I think we know that.... Power is happy enough to be a FL club, Div 4 is just fine. 

The next game v Mansfield who are undefeated on the road is very difficult, you wouldn't really expect more than a point at best, it will be the Cambridge game that becomes important just about must win.
Flashheart

« Reply #246 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 19:35:28 »

A retiring player/manager, or an up and coming manager from the lower leagues.

We've been down the experienced manager route twice now and it's not worked. Experienced managers that have the ability we need will not want to manage a 4th tier club. Unless we throw a fuck-ton of money at them, which isn't going to happen. There's a chance of finding a real gem in the untried manager option.

Thing's are really not looking good for Brown if we're having this discussion already. He's still got time to turn it around but it surely won't be long before Power's breathing down his neck, if he isn't already.

Flashheart

« Reply #247 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 19:38:03 »

Having said that, it was only 4? league games ago that we looked so good against Yeovil. Some were (rightly, in my opinion) talking about the autos. At that point I was thinking we were looking good but lacking consistency.

I do think these discussions are a tad premature.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 19:56:00 »

Having said that, it was only 4? league games ago that we looked so good against Yeovil. Some were (rightly, in my opinion) talking about the autos. At that point I was thinking we were looking good bit lacking consistency.

I do think these discussions are a tad premature.

I think PB has been in the game long enough to be able to cope with and understand 'impulse fan reaction' straight after a loss. My angle is, last season we were pretty shit and just missed out on play-offs. This season we're a little bit better than shit. Tbf to PB, he hasn't had his fully fit first XI available to him yet. It looks like now though that it is about nearly there. If Sid, Doughty and Woolery are fit then they must play v Mansfield. It'll be as close to his strongest XI he'll have been able to have fielded. The midfield effectively picks itself. Can't see Richards starting v Mansfield unless he gets on his knees and takes PB. Defensively he needs to drop Lancs for Sid. Not anyone else. A three of Sid, Conroy & Woolf should be enough. With Knoyle and Taylor/Iandolo (yep I know) on the right and left defensive flanks respectively. Midfield three of Dave, Doughty Keshi (free role), Crazy and Woolery up top.

6pts from Mansfield and Cambridge...suddenly those calling for the noose on PB will be a little more positive. One would hope.

I'd still give him until December (ish). If we've dwindled further then his position may be more untenable. Right now though is silly. If we've improved and challenging POs/Autos then go into Jan and reinforce the squad at LB and FW. The argument from some would be 'why bother if we're playing well?'. OF course there is nothing worse than a complacent player. Signing are needed right now but even if we are playing well...bring signings in to keep them on their toes. Anything but midfielders...we have plenty of them Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 19:58:06 »

Wrongly, if you were talking Autos.

Fed up of getting in ‘managerial merry go round’ managers.

Someone fresh every time
Flashheart

« Reply #250 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 20:08:56 »

Fresh managers are far more appealing to me.

It could be disastrous, but it could also be magical. You're very unlikely to get magical with a merry go round manager. Mid-table mediocrity is far more likely. That's why they're managing at this level at all. Experienced managers at this level have already proven themselves to be not that exciting.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 20:25:25 »

Wrongly, if you were talking Autos.

Fed up of getting in ‘managerial merry go round’ managers.

Someone fresh every time

PB is hardly a 'merry go round' manager...he's managed 5 clubs. His first, Derby is forgivable. Too big a job for a new manager. Then Hull, Preston and Southend. Experienced and not so fresh, yes but certainly not a manager to hop in bed with every chairman going. Could even discount PNE as that was spread over a seasons end to first half of the next.

So he's had 5 clubs over nearly 14 years. Incidentally Flitcroft has had 4 in 5 years.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 20:26:51 »

Fresh managers are far more appealing to me.

It could be disastrous, but it could also be magical. You're very unlikely to get magical with a merry go round manager. Mid-table mediocrity is far more likely. That's why they're managing at this level at all. Experienced managers at this level have already proven themselves to be not that exciting.

John Coleman won Div 4 last season he'd been managing for near on 20 years and 950 games, many non league and a spell in RoI.

I don't think we're quite in the situation yet to take a punt on a newbie.... there's nothing wrong with Brown that a few wins in a row wouldn't put right.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 20:27:04 »

I concur plus first time manager kinda have to make it work for the good of their careers.

If/when we sack Brown he’ll get another job based on what he did with Hull 10 years ago...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 20:29:14 »

I’d look towards Michael Carrick or Gareth Barry...

Probably reaching though...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: