Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exeter City v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 42638 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 09:46:31 »

For a localish club I have never been to Exeter for a game.

We're gonna kick ass today
You aren't missing much, been there probably 10 times to see Town and Town reserves play, the away end was one of THE worst in the league with about 3 or 4 steps and no cover, as of 2 weeks time they have bought one of Barnets old stands to go behind the goal, its about 6 steps high but now has a roof will increase the away allocation from the currently measly 350 while work is done to about 1,200 afterwards.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #16 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 09:50:02 »

Oh and because its an international weekend I understand that the game is availble to UK followers on iFollow for 」10 today, no VPN needed etc etc.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 09:51:48 »

The last time I went to Exeter for a game v Town (in fact the only time Ive been to St James Park) was for a midweek game, can't remember if it was a cup or a league game,  but one thing I do remember is pre match drinks in a pub in town, drinking Flowers bitter,  went down ok, but gave me the shits for days.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 09:54:34 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:01:53 »

The last time I went to Exeter for a game v Town (in fact the only time Ive been to St James Park) was for a midweek game, can't remember if it was a cup or a league game,  but one thing I do remember is pre match drinks in a pub in town, drinking Flowers bitter,  went down ok, but gave me the shits for days.
Used to love a pint of Flowers Original on draught, never affected me like that.

Theres a pub about 50 yards from the away end called the St Anne's Well that always serves a good beer and accepts away fans, could have been there.

Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:11:39 »

Id normally be happy with a point. Now, though, I find myself wanting 3 points, away to the team in 2nd, to make up for recent shitness.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:17:01 »

I work in a ski resort in the winter, will be the 14th year I've been doing it.  I'm up in Val Thorens, highest resort in Europe, working in the highest official Guinness pub in the world.

....and probably the tallest person there!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:19:59 »

Used to love a pint of Flowers Original on draught, never affected me like that.

Theres a pub about 50 yards from the away end called the St Anne's Well that always serves a good beer and accepts away fans, could have been there.

I always thought Flowers was rank... probably decent in its original form, but was Whitbread by another name.  An early example of corporate take over of a traditional small English brewery, the sort of thing that nearly finished ale in England, until the CAMERA fightback.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:22:32 »

I wasn't going to bother watchin Tuesdays mickey mouse game but I am glad I did, we played as well as we did at Yeovil, the defence looked quite solid with 3 instead of the normal 2 CB's considering it was Conroys 1st game in weeks and Romanski was the ages of the back 5 were 22, 22, 21, 19 and 18 and they played better than the back 5 defence under Flipflop which averaged nearer 34 last season.

Not sure if PB will risk 3 CB's again or go back to the 2 as normal, could be harsh on Iandolo to drop him as well after he ran Plymouth defence ragged putting in lots of crosses.

I also doubt Woolery will get a start even though he looked sharp and fast and eager when he came on.

Tough decisions for PB to make today, Exeter are certainly beatable as Lincoln showed down there a few weeks back but most fans would be happy with a draw really against a side in 2nd place.

Wins (even in THAT cup) breed confidence and even the defeat at Crewe and the draws with Northampton and Oldham we played some good football but with no end product.

If we can improve the quality of the ball into the box (as Iandolo did Tuesday) and actually taking a shot when we can then we can beat any team in this league.

Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:23:12 »

....and probably the tallest person there!!

Ah, we get a lot of dutch folks in, some of them have a good few inches on me (oo, er).
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:23:17 »

I always thought Flowers was rank... probably decent in its original form, but was Whitbread by another name.  An early example of corporate take over of a traditional small English brewery, the sort of thing that nearly finished ale in England, until the CAMERA fightback.
The last pint of Flowers I had on draught was probably 1988 TBF.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:23:47 »

Ah, we get a lot of dutch folks in, some of them have a good few inches in me (oo, er).
Now I know where the "Kinky" comes from Wink

Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:27:43 »

Cheesy
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:32:14 »

We had a week in Roermond in Limburg in August and my word some of those Dutchlanders are bloody tall, something in the water, has to be!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:56:44 »

The last pint of Flowers I had on draught was probably 1988 TBF.

There were other brews which I didn't much like... for example Courage, used to drive past the Reading brewery on the M4, and it looked like something you'd find in Port Talbot, connected to the petro chemical industry.... tasted like it too.

Why I've always had a bit of time for Arkells, the brewery looks proper. They've managed to go with the times, yet still kept some tradition.

When I lived in Pompey, it was Brickwoods territory, I got there just in time for the Whitbread takeover, it used to be reckoned that Pompey had more pubs per head of population than anywhere else in GB.  Brickwoods had a house style of building,  often there seemed to be a pub on every street corner.  

I did like the days of the 60's, when you knew where you were in the country by the pub signs of the local brewers who all had their patch.  On leaving Pompey, you'd enter Gale's of Horndean going east, or Gibbs Mew up towards Sarum.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:59:20 »

Used to love a pint of Bishops Tipple when it was brewed by Gibbs mews, until Waddys ruined it.

I remember the Courage Brewery alongside the M4, never touched normal Courage but enjoyed a pint of Directors, but again we are talking 20 years ago before they changed it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: