Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Goals  (Read 10239 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 09:48:23 »

It’s interesting what differentiates a PL player from a run of the mill clogger in L2. Sure, technical ability is higher but that shouldn’t be a reason for poor corner taking - that’s a basic.

Usually consistency, I used to watch a fair bit of northern league football at Lancaster City and they had a couple of players that in short bursts could be the equally the quality of PL players, sadly it was around 10 minutes bi-monthly.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 09:48:28 »

Well yes, I mean the 2018 edition of Giroud who Hazzard has described as the best target man in world football.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 09:52:22 »

The main reason for lack of goals is lack of goal scorers. 

Richards has something like 180 league goals.... not sure what the FL currently playing career list looks like but I'd guess he might be top ten.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 09:53:59 »

Highest goal scorer in L2 history.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 21:47:37 »

Back towards corners - good corners need delivery, practice and variety

At the moment it looks more like Brown has worried about fixing the defending/shape side first. Perhaps 15 minutes can be found per session once he’s fixed the lack of chance creation/shots.

England in the World Cup worked really well because a new set of routines only had to be used across a handful of games - no chance for the opposition to plan  if it is only ever used once or twice. Put that into a league season and opposition scouts will have seen pretty much all of them by late August.

So more practice then? 

I’d agree with the article on structural changes  - how many times would a foul have been given against Shaun Taylor with an obstructing player put in to stop his run these days? Especially against a keeper. Certainly zonal and mixed marking systems have put bigger and better headers in better positions close to the near post. Most teams (not Brown though) put one of their top few headers there. We used to use Ranger and Obika.

Coaches do still obsess on corners though - just less PMO merchants and more hipster number guys  https://statsbomb.com/2017/02/changing-how-the-world-thinks-about-set-pieces/
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: