Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Plymouth v Swindon Mickey mouse cup  (Read 28298 times)
REDBUCK

« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 20:39:02 »

3rd bottom... after 8 games which is about when he took over they were 24th.

New manager bounce, they have lost the last three plus a sneaky Penalty win over Macclesfield
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 21:43:17 »

The contrast between our evening out in glamorous Crew and Mansfield’s visit their last night is sadly telling in who has the more potential to rise up this division.

Yep. Crewe Alexandra, the great bell weather of lower league success

Things get better but they never get good
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 09:35:09 »

The contrast between our evening out in glamorous Crewe and Mansfield’s visit their last night is sadly telling in who has the more potential to rise up this division.

I get where you're coming from, but Mansfield have only won 5 games all season. They've drawn 9, inluding several goalless draws, which is a stark contrast to last year when Flitcroft's team were very much win or bust. Does that suggest they're one step away from clicking and pushing on, or does it highlight shortcomings similar to our own?
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 12:52:45 »

I believe the ability to avoid defeat is a vital quality in the battle of attrition that is a division 4 season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 15:23:32 »

I believe the ability to avoid defeat is a vital quality in the battle of attrition that is a division 4 season.

It's a curio that a lot of draws don't look too clever, that is until you get some wins in the bag... generally teams up the top 3 will get about 24 wins or so, in other words just over half the games bung say 14 draws on top, and that should do auto.

Flitcroft needs to get a good run of wins going now ifhe wants auto.  PO's can be achieved by much more modest form.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 16:07:43 »

To give Flitcroft some credit for his time with us, he did seem to have an eye on trying to get a result, risking a defeat to go for a win.  It was sort of working, but did begin to look more fragile towards the end.  It doesn't take many more wins than losses to get into Promotion spots, draw are nearly as bad as a loss.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 16:32:04 »

To give Flitcroft some credit for his time with us, he did seem to have an eye on trying to get a result, risking a defeat to go for a win.  It was sort of working, but did begin to look more fragile towards the end.  It doesn't take many more wins than losses to get into Promotion spots, draw are nearly as bad as a loss.

If you win 28 and  lost 18, then it ought to get you there or thereabouts, but draws do reduce the points opponents get so that would have to be factored in.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 16:40:07 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 17:31:55 »

To give Flitcroft some credit for his time with us, he did seem to have an eye on trying to get a result, risking a defeat to go for a win.  It was sort of working, but did begin to look more fragile towards the end.  It doesn't take many more wins than losses to get into Promotion spots, draw are nearly as bad as a loss.
was it Williams who tried to equate three draws with a win  Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 18:29:02 »

Well fuck me, I brought this up last season and got ripped to shit for it. I mentioned (probably naively) that a team that wins more games than draws generally will get you into the promotion spots. Indicating that if you have a highish win rate of around 24/25 games you could potentially lose 20 matches and end up on 77points. Likely enough to be in the POs.

Some clever, doryphore sod then said "Team with the most points gets promoted". Which of course is right but essentially my point was that you're better off not drawing too many matches. Of course I doubt you'll face such a backlash.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: