Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Plymouth v Swindon Mickey mouse cup  (Read 28275 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 09:50:30 »

Of more importance tonight is that Flitcroft's boys are currently doing us a favour, leading at Crewe 0-2. This will keep Crewe below us, so wasting their game in hand. We need as many between us and the drop line as possible. 
Whilst that's abviously true, we're as close to an auto spot as we are to relegation. Obviously a few bad results and the picture looks very different but let's try to enjoy the dizzy heights of mid-table while we're there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 10:27:15 »

Whilst that's abviously true, we're as close to an auto spot as we are to relegation. Obviously a few bad results and the picture looks very different but let's try to enjoy the dizzy heights of mid-table while we're there.

Agree we need to look after our mid table perch, but when you get a run of poor results it then becomes under threat.... which is why Saturday was important.... even Martin Smith acknowledges that.

It was a big result for us as a club. I’m not going to underestimate that, but it has gone now and it’s in the past.

It's good that the players, get its importance in keeping our head above water. However he's right, it's now gone and it needs to be backed up.  It would definitely be a bonus to get anything at ColU, as it's now the home form that needs the application of a better attitude. 

We cannot go on with this historic level of non winning at the CG and hope not to have a season where we're looking down rather than up.... it really is that simple, and the worry is of course that although we've won a couple using the get out of jail card, we haven't really looked like winning a game so far.  You know the sort of thing, get a goal up by say half an hour, see it through to half time, then add another on the hour/ 70 mins etc.

The fixtures at the CG up until Feb look very difficult, chock full of teams who did a job on us last season, for a win or point, save for Stevenage and FGR, who are both going well this season. In the words of the Stranglers..Something Better Change
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 13:17:10 »

agree that results are important and form is a concern.  However, where does Martin Smith look down, like you, rather than up? It was as important in maintaining proximity with an auto spot as it was in distancing a relegation spot.  Whilst every game is tough (we have seen that with Cambridge, Crewe etc recently) it is timid beyond reason to especially fear any team in League One based on league position and especially so at this stage.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 13:19:05 by RedRag » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 13:27:11 »

league two Wink
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 13:41:59 »

agree that results are important and form is a concern.  However, where does Martin Smith look down, like you, rather than up? It was as important in maintaining proximity with an auto spot as it was in distancing a relegation spot.  Whilst every game is tough (we have seen that with Cambridge, Crewe etc recently) it is timid beyond reason to especially fear any team in League One based on league position and especially so at this stage.
Great post (apart from the mistake Batch picked up on)!! If the players mindset is negative & one of looking over their shoulders constantly rather than trying to reel in the teams that are above them then that will undoubtedly show on the field. Hopefully the internal mentality is one of how high can we finish rather than who do we have to finish above to avoid relegation. Negativity breeds negativity.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Flashheart

« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 14:00:41 »

Anyway, are we still in this horrendous 'competition' or not?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 14:13:12 »

Not sure, tbh.

I think if the final game, Newport v Plymouth, ends in a Newport win they will go through instead of us on GD.

Here’s hoping anyway.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 14:28:38 »

Any win for Newport home to Plymuff on the 13th November will put Newport through, if the game ends a draw or Plymuff win then we go through.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 14:29:55 »

league two Wink
Embarrassed

On reflection, I think we would have something to fear facing some upper echelon League One teams...but I still hope we'd go out confident of our own chances.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 14:57:45 »

It was important as a 6 pointer, had we lost then we'd have been 3 points off Notts, who are very much in the mix, further we'd have been down to I think 18th dependent on GD. 4 points off 22nd place Morecambe.  Given Brown's pick he rightly knew the importance relative to the danger zone, and conveyed this to the players.

Quite rightly.... there's no point being unrealistic, this squad is, atm, well away from competing at the upper end of the table.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 15:08:55 »

Variables...variables...everywhere.  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 15:21:02 »

Variables...variables...everywhere.  Cheesy

It's recognising the variables that keeps a manager in a job.  Brown needs to find a way of winning games at home, if we are to climb the table upwardly. The back to basics policy may serve to keep us out of the dogfight, but we need a bit more if looking for upward mobility.

Here's what Kewell said post match.....

We knew Swindon’s only danger was Matt Taylor crossing the ball. We stopped that in the first half, but allowed it three or four times in the second half.

What did Swindon bring? They didn’t really bring anything different.

They played balls over the top and have pace, but we didn’t have that quality in areas.

We're going to need a lot more from the younger players.  I hope they're up to the challenge
REDBUCK

« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 16:15:51 »

And Kewell know's what's going on and see how to fix it so much that he's led Notts to 2nd bottom
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 16:21:54 »

And Kewell know's what's going on and see how to fix it so much that he's led Notts to 2nd bottom

3rd bottom... after 8 games which is about when he took over they were 24th.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 19:32:31 »

The contrast between our evening out in glamorous Crewe and Mansfield’s visit their last night is sadly telling in who has the more potential to rise up this division.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 22:23:38 by sir windon » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: