Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Goals  (Read 10158 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 10:29:47 »

Set pieces are obviously important, but actually, across football, a lower % than you imagine are scored from crosses. Teams are much better off coming out again and working an actual chance.
Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 10:34:04 »

Set pieces are obviously important, but actually, across football, a lower % than you imagine are scored from crosses. Teams are much better off coming out again and working an actual chance.

I've no doubt that you're right, but that doesn't excuse the awful quality of balls going in.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 10:34:15 »

Here's an interesting arrticle about corners.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 11:42:19 »

I've been making that point for years, I couldn't tell you whether I've said it on here or not though.

You only just beat that first man and it's about as dangerous as it gets but chances are you'll hit him.  One of the biggest football cliché misnomers in my opinion.

Piece of piss to beat the first man obviously if that is your remit but a far less threatening delivery to just lob it in there.
Sir red ken

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 11:45:59 »

The article is from the Guardian, so its fake news like everything else in that Evil communist rag.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 11:58:31 »

The article is from the Guardian, so its fake news like everything else in that Evil communist rag.

The mantra of the 2010s: 'This media outlet fails to repeat my own personal views back to me.  So it's fake.'

Don Rogers was a left winger.  You shouldn't forget that.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 12:00:44 »

Some very good points there. The one thing not mentioned, though, is the lack (Sid Nelson notwithstanding) for many of today’s players to be wary of an accumulation of headers to their well-being.

As so many of ours seem to go way over everyone and out of play, is there a chance for a player to be stationed well to the left/right of the far post.

Crewe’s goal came from a fairly simple short corner - not one just tossed in.
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 12:11:55 »

Which still does not excuse the poor quality of our deliveries.

Corners aside, since Oldham I think we've switched more to trying to keep it down than put in crosses. We just seem to be struggling with that as well, though.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 12:31:14 »

We’re fairly adept at conceding from corners, though. (Although I can only think of 2 this season)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 13:51:37 »

Some very good points there. The one thing not mentioned, though, is the lack (Sid Nelson notwithstanding) for many of today’s players to be wary of an accumulation of headers to their well-being.

As so many of ours seem to go way over everyone and out of play, is there a chance for a player to be stationed well to the left/right of the far post.

Crewe’s goal came from a fairly simple short corner - not one just tossed in.

It's entirely possible that heading is being phased out to an extent by safety concerns.... Sid for all his bravery has scored 1 goal in 70 odd appearances.

Th egoalscoring centre half still exists, most are good for a couple a season, but sometimes you do get a weapon like a Sergio Ramos, or for us OST. Flint and Morrison weren't bad either.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 14:04:54 »

A game which still gives me nightmares was away at Whaddon Road in 08.  We were dominant had 20 corners, they were down to 10 and we still lost. 2-0.

In that side you had J-PM and Wee Macca, who could deliver a decent ball.... Sean Morrison to aim at and Barn Door Billy and Coxy who could both sniff a knockdown.  Sad
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 17:31:32 »

The main reason for lack of goals is lack of goal scorers.  Forget the build up,  the crosses, the corners, without a player that can put the ball in the back of the net build ups are irrelevant.
Back to the old subject again,  Nile Ranger is still available,  we need a recognised strker, if he isn't one then my pricks a bloater, wether or not PB could control him that's another thing,  although he had a go at Southend.    Well worth another chance,  at 27, he's not going to get many more chances.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 09:23:24 »

Ranger isn't a goal scorer though, he's more like Giroud.  19 goals in 141 league apperances.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 09:30:12 »

Ranger isn't a goal scorer though, he's more like Giroud.  19 goals in 141 league apperances.
He has also been sacked by Swindon AND Brown when he was at Southend, hes too much trouble off the pitch hence why he still has no club.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 09:44:57 »

Just to be picky, Giroud has an excellent goal scoring record in his career, Chelsea aside.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: