Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Goals  (Read 10157 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 07:55:46 »

Apart from Doughty’s nod in in the first game of the season we haven’t score with a header since. And, IIRC, we didn’t score many headers last season either.

I don’t know what the average % is of headed goals for a team but we must be way off. Lack of headed goals from CBs at corners as well as during general play is one reason for our scoring struggles.

Mind you, our corner taking is atrocious. Do we practice?
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 08:01:30 »

Crosses from open play have been very poor as well.
Sir red ken

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 08:26:00 »

It would appear not.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 08:31:21 »

Apart from Doughty’s nod in in the first game of the season we haven’t score with a header since. And, IIRC, we didn’t score many headers last season either.

I don’t know what the average % is of headed goals for a team but we must be way off. Lack of headed goals from CBs at corners as well as during general play is one reason for our scoring struggles.

Doing retro stats on something like headed goals is difficult, and time consuming, unless you're a club data analyst. I guess we have one  Hmmm 

So for example Don Rogers scored either 3 or 4 headed goals in the 180 he scored for Town in all comps. Someone might know.... or you could trawl, the Pinks on the Ref microfilm.  Getting Harry Morris's  ratio even more difficult.

My gut instinct is the number has been low recently, which may be because of coaching.  I base this on nothing more scientific than I can only remember Michael Smith scoring one header in his 25 or so, over 2 seasons, and he was a big lad up front.

It seemed that the coach, Luke, emphasised crosses must be hard and low, to be swept into the net.  As for corners, we've been terrible for some time.... Luke era was so bad a Town corner actually came to be a goalscoring opportunity for the opposition. That's why they fanny about with short routines, try and keep possession as a defensive measure.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 08:36:27 »

Knoyle is our best crosser of the ball IMO and he has been missing for 3 games without him Woolf did not take his man on once, hes definately a centre back.

Taylor should be the best crosser of the ball probably in this division but all too often he crosses from very deep and it never beats the first defender, he looks more dangerous when hes gone past his man but he does that all too rarely now.

As FH says out general standard of crossing is really poor this season, and most of last too.

We have height and strength in the box and Richards loves attacking crosses but he rarely gets a chance as the crosses are so poor.

McGlashan also isn't really your standard L2 winger, he doesn't beat his man and get to the byeline and cross the ball, he prefers to run at defenders diagonally and tries to win penalties/fouls with his pace as when he gets into a good position he more often than not puts in a poor cross/pass/shot and can be fucking frustrating.

And as stated above our corners this season have been appallingly bad.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 08:56:32 »

Against Oldham I noticed our crosses/corners were particularly bad, despite getting into some good positions next wide. The next game we seemed to try to play it through the middle more. We turned out to be just as inept at that as well. I wonder if Brown switched to playing through the middle because of the awful quality of our deliveries into the box.

I don't understand how the quality of our crosses can be as bad as they are. They don't need to be premierships quality where they hang perfectly for somebody to get their head on it. Just putting it in the right sort of area will be a vast improvement, we're barely managing that though. They tend to either fail to beat the first man or go over everybody and out for a throw on the other side of the pitch. It's baffling. These are professional footballers, I don't get it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 08:56:53 »

Quote from: Sir red ken

It would appear not.

if we do it's worrying!

drills:
 - hit first man
 - hit biggest centre back

I remember looking dangerous from set pieces last year, certainly early on anyway
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 09:02:59 »

Against Oldham I noticed our crosses/corners were particularly bad, despite getting into some good positions next wide. The next game we seemed to try to play it through the middle more. We turned out to be just as inept at that as well. I wonder if Brown switched to playing through the middle because of the awful quality of our deliveries into the box.

I don't understand how the quality of our crosses can be as bad as they are. They don't need to be premierships quality where they hang perfectly for somebody to get their head on it. Just putting it in the right sort of area will be a vast improvement, we're barely managing that though. They tend to either fail to beat the first man or go over everybody and out for a throw on the other side of the pitch. It's baffling. These are professional footballers, I don't get it.

These are 4th division footballers... if they were better at what they do they'd be playing higher up. Sometimes they'll get it right, but more often than not won't.  I think it is why coaches empahsise hitting crosses along the ground.... if it's aerial it has to be very accurate, if on the ground less so, the mythical good area.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 09:06:05 »

if we do it's worrying!

drills:
 - hit first man
 - hit biggest centre back

I remember looking dangerous from set pieces last year, certainly early on anyway
Yeah we hardly ever beat the nearest defender with corners, or its looped to the back post and easily headed out.

Last season we did the little "4 men in a row" going in all directions when attacking the corner routine, which seemed to work quite well.

I would like to see that with Nelson throwing his head in the mix, I think he could be almost as good as Shaun Taylor as an attacking force with what with his bravery in our box, now he needs to move it the the other box for corners.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 09:07:36 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 09:46:30 »

These are 4th division footballers... if they were better at what they do they'd be playing higher up. Sometimes they'll get it right, but more often than not won't.  I think it is why coaches empahsise hitting crosses along the ground.... if it's aerial it has to be very accurate, if on the ground less so, the mythical good area.
It’s interesting what differentiates a PL player from a run of the mill clogger in L2. Sure, technical ability is higher but that shouldn’t be a reason for poor corner taking - that’s a basic.

Taylor may be getting on when it comes to getting up and down the pitch, but that shouldn’t impinge on his crossing ability. It’s noticeably poorer than last season. He is taking fewer corners though, probably to stop him being out of position when said corner inevitably breaks down into an opposition attack.

I’m really struggling to get my head round why what appears to be a fairly decent squad looks so bumbling lately.
Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 09:53:00 »

Funny how other L2 players seem able to cross the ball into reasonable areas... I do wish people would not quote Reg's nonsense.

I could put in decent-ish balls more often than this lot have been lately and I'm fucking useless. It should be bread and butter for these guys, especially when the ball is stationary. Even the straightforward, along the ground passes to unmarked players have been wayward. It's bizarre.
Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 10:10:26 »

... and the same group looked so good against Yeovil.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 10:13:25 »

Crewe were brilliant on corners and freekicks. proper whipped in with pace- really hard to defend against.

to say its league 2 ability and thats why all corners are poor is not true. its lack of application by the individual taking it. some players can some players can't. at all levels. think harry kane in the euros!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 10:23:00 »

Funny how other L2 players seem able to cross the ball into reasonable areas... I do wish people would not quote Reg's nonsense.

I could put in decent-ish balls more often than this lot have been lately, and I'm fucking useless. Especially when the ball is stationary. It should be bread and butter for these guys. Even the straightforward along the ground passes to unmarked players have been wayward. It's bizarre.

No you couldn't. 

They don't perform at a considerably more significant rate than our lot, which is why there isn't much to choose between sides.  The highest scoring side in the Div, ColU have Luke Norris up front, maybe they've someone better than what we had over the last couple of seasons, so Luke can thrive. It is possible.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 10:28:51 »

Crewe were brilliant on corners and freekicks. proper whipped in with pace- really hard to defend against.

to say its league 2 ability and thats why all corners are poor is not true. its lack of application by the individual taking it. some players can some players can't. at all levels. think harry kane in the euros!

Crewe have scored 1 goal on the road this season.... if so brilliant at set plays how do explain that?  Further they've scored 10 at home but 6 in the opener, meaning they've scored 5 goals collectively in the next 10 games, hardly the stuff of set play expertise.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: