Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Northampton official match day thread  (Read 33936 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #210 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:19:29 »

Regardless of the metric you look at - whether it's funding, history, catchment area or average attendance - it's difficult to argue that our 'natural level' is anything other than League 1/Division 3.  We used to flirt regularly with the division above that until 20 yrs ago.  This is a club that is under-achieving/punching well below its weight - and has been for years.

I've always thought we should be challenging for promotion to the 2nd tier, even though we'd probably struggle to stay there.
Flashheart

« Reply #211 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:20:51 »

I've never understood how professional footballers can struggle with the basics, such as playing a simple pass to a teammate. So many simple passes went astray today.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:24:35 »

I've always thought we should be challenging for promotion to the 2nd tier, even though we'd probably struggle to stay there.

Me too.  But I suspect that that's because we're the same STFC vintage...cutting our teeth in the Macari/Hoddle years.

I didn't really appreciate when I started watching in 1990 that our status at that time was loftier than normal.  In the (just) pre-internet era of the early 1990s, I remember being able to read detailed Swindon Town match reports in national Sunday newspapers.  Times have changed.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:26:10 by Ardiles » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:29:42 »

I think whatever era you were brought up in, to not be challenging for autos in division 4 is a failure.

I'm not writing this session off yet btw, just setting perceived expectations
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:32:55 »

tbf, Reg didn't say that he thought Div 4 is our natural stamping ground, but rather that Power's refusal to throw money at promotion suggested that Power is content with it as about where we should be for now
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:33:21 »

I think whatever era you were brought up in, to not be challenging for autos in division 4 is a failure.

I would say a failure, if the perception at the outset was that you're building a side for a tilt at an auto slot.... but clearly we weren't.

« Last Edit: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:39:17 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:36:05 »

A fair few times today that was because we played the ball behind the man and he had to check his run.
Sometimes but also plenty of times where the man on the ball stopped and put his foot on it to wait for team-mates to catch up. Which then also allowed Northampton to do the same. On the positive side, Brown made the right changes today IMO, just too late
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 18:51:08 »

Don't forget that in the 98 years since we were awarded Football League status, we have never dropped out of it and have spent less than 10 seasons in the 4th tier.  If we go on now to become an established club at this level, it will be the first time in our history (or certainly since 1920) that this has happened.  Not good.
Panda Paws

« Reply #218 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 19:12:54 »

Get your head out of the sand- we were 8th in league one when Power arrived we are now 13th in league 2

What could Power have done differently this season other than spend more money?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 19:35:49 »

I'm guessing "leave, because we want our Swindon back"
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 19:51:56 »

I'm guessing "leave, because we want our Swindon back"

that and "we should be playing the Swindon way"

I come from a land down-under
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 19:54:45 »

Don't forget that in the 98 years since we were awarded Football League status, we have never dropped out of it and have spent less than 10 seasons in the 4th tier.  If we go on now to become an established club at this level, it will be the first time in our history (or certainly since 1920) that this has happened.  Not good.

Div 4 only formed in 1958.... certainly our poor mid 50's sides would have been relegated to Div 4 had it existed. The only way we can currently say we don't look like a middling Div 4 outfit is to show it on the park... and we just aren't. However, so far we've managed to avoid getting mixed up in a Conference battle, so not all bad.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 20:20:11 »

A decent, if frustrating, game.  At least Cobblers didn't come to park the bus, they did give it a go, and they certainly looked were putting a lot of pressure on up until they scored.  We seemed to lack shape at times, Alzate playing out wide is a waste, he is far better playing behind the striker(s) and running at the defence.  Too many players guilty of not putting in decent challenges, rather wait for the ball to come to them and how many times did a defender head or pass the ball straight to one of their players?  A bit disappointed in Knoyle today, think his lay-off showed, didn't get forward too many times which he is more than capable of.  McGlashan to me is a waste of space, not worth the shirt.  At least Brown got his subs right but for a team that Brown boasted were coached by three Pro-Licence holders we need to improve and rapidly.  At least we got tickets for Exeter next week!! 
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 20:22:28 by ronnie21 » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 20:25:39 »

Div 4 only formed in 1958.... certainly our poor mid 50's sides would have been relegated to Div 4 had it existed. The only way we can currently say we don't look like a middling Div 4 outfit is to show it on the park... and we just aren't. However, so far we've managed to avoid getting mixed up in a Conference battle, so not all bad.

Fair enough.  But this is only our 8th season in the 4th tier since it was set up 60 yrs ago (1982-86, 2006-07, 2011-12, 2017-19 (at least)), so I think the point stands.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Saturday, October 6, 2018, 20:46:41 »

Me too.  But I suspect that that's because we're the same STFC vintage...cutting our teeth in the Macari/Hoddle years.

I didn't really appreciate when I started watching in 1990 that our status at that time was loftier than normal.  In the (just) pre-internet era of the early 1990s, I remember being able to read detailed Swindon Town match reports in national Sunday newspapers.  Times have changed.

It does remind me of pre Macari days in the 80's. We've no spark. We need a boost somewhere. FFS someone on here win a rollover Wink
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: