Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crewe v Swindon Matchday Thread  (Read 25719 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 21:39:57 »

ps you said he was way past his sell by date - that’s just rubbish. He’s past his sell by date, but at least he has a sell by date, which is more than you can say about Lancashire, Robertson and Dunne who are all still cluttering up the wage bill and have been woeful since the minute Flitcroft signed them. Brown is stuck with them.

I concur on those three, but we are left with them for this season.  Robertson was even told he won't be getting any games.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 21:43:26 »

Yeah I didn’t think you’d get through a match day thread without having a pop at Matt Taylor! “Well past his sell by date”  is more than harsh - it seems some people have short memories on here - he was out best player last season by a country mile - he just shouldn’t be playing 40 plus games this season at left back, nor should he be last man one on one like he was on Saturday.

Here's what Rob had to say last season on Taylor......

"For us he is a waste of a wage I'm afraid.  No mobility, so relying solely on the left foot which in truth was never matched with a good footballing talent."

Personally I think he probably still brings a fair bit to the side... OK you'd like a 10 year younger version, but being sustainable in Div 4 is the making the most of juggling limited resources.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 21:45:52 »

did he say that early last season, because he started off slowly and it was fair criticism at that time.
diggers

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 21:49:54 »

And I'm not saying I don't like him, he has grafted to make a pretty good career for a player with limited ability, that left foot serving him well.  If anything, I feel a bit sorry for him having to shoulder the burden - if he'd been given the Managers job I bet he would have hung the boots up in the summer.  Don't begrudge anyone willing to put the effort in, that's my biggest frustration with the team.  Even Lancashire tries, nobody goes missing, our problem just seems to be we either get it right as a team or everyone goes off and does their own thing in isolation.  Anderson for example, had several runs today of about 30 or 40 yards but everyone else just watches because they had no idea what he was then going to do at the end.

A player with limited ability?! Blimey, more than 10 years as a regular in the top flight suggests he’s a bit more than a lad with limited ability. Anyway, you’re right, I think this season is possibly one too many for him, I just think we have more problems than just Taylor. Like you say Anderson - will he ever actually deliver on the potential he kind of shows glimpses of? He flatters to deceive. Brown should have started Knoyle tonight instead of Romanski, the young lad just isn’t ready from what I’ve seen. And why does Brown persist in playing our best striker out wide and leaving Richards isolated in the middle when he is clearly struggling??
diggers

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 21:57:42 »

Here's what Rob had to say last season on Taylor......

"For us he is a waste of a wage I'm afraid.  No mobility, so relying solely on the left foot which in truth was never matched with a good footballing talent."

Personally I think he probably still brings a fair bit to the side... OK you'd like a 10 year younger version, but being sustainable in Div 4 is the making the most of juggling limited resources.

Blimey Reg - I better watch what I say if you’re gonna quote me next season! I’m with you though, he does still offer experience to the side and I wish some of the other players showed the passion he still shows. That’s what I like about him, yeah he’s older, yeah he’s got no pace anymore but he still offers more than some in the side for me and that is the worry. Taylor’s poor delivery this season has been highlighted and rightly so as it’s fair criticism, yet no mention was made of the poor crossing from the right last Saturday - Wolf is not a right back - his crossing was woeful.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 23:24:47 »

Just back to Swindon, haven't read through yet but here's my thoughts.

We weren't at it tonight, not at all. It was very slow, little movement from the forward players and when there was, the final third was shocking. Either the final ball, lack of crosses, too much skill it just didn't work at all tonight.

Mccormick - nothing wrong again other than one loose throw out wide, made a cracking save.

Woolf - had a few issues tonight defensively, no real attacking threat.
Nelson - won most headers, did ok.
Lancashire - lost most aerial duels with there big lad up top, didn't do much wrong though.
Romanski - not sure he's ready at all, did ok in parts but always looked a weak link.

Dave/dunne - didn't dominate enough, crewe seemed to run straight down the centre of our midfield at times. Very little creativity between the two, seemed to be pulled out wide a lot to cover others.
Alzate - some neat play, needs to be better in final third. Lack of end product. Needs to be careful when playing out at the back, loose play/clearances.

Adebayo - is he a striker or a winger? He seems more comfortable out wide on the left where he can run/cut in against the RB. Has more impact there than up top.
Richards - very little again. Had a couple of half chances but didn't take the shot/pass. Seems a bit of a bystander at times. Problem area.
Anderson - frustrates the hell out of me. Great close control, makes forward runs but doesn't release the fucking ball. Takes way too long and the chance is gone and defence back behind the ball. Needs more end product. Needs to get stuck in as well, lost every 50/50.

Mcglashen - did okish, linked up with Knoyle once down the right, not much to shout about though.
Knoyle - did nothing wrong, as above he linked up once and got a cross in. Didn't happen again.
Iandolo - positive impact I thought, made a few good runs/passes. Decent set plays, hit the post with one of our only close chances.

All in all, poor performance, poor result. We need Doughty back asap, ST/LB are problem areas. Need to be more ruthless when attacking.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 23:32:17 »

just back. frustrating really as it was an even game. 2 good mccormick saves (and all round perfromance) and the goal were notable attempts by Crewe. For swindon, much the same as Oldham game- some tidy play, some errors, huffed and puffed, a few good chances, a good effort off the post.  

Richards is bothering me, whether its the system or his role in the side. he doesn't seem involved and seems at norris confidence levels. two scenarios in the first half where when he first signed he would have shot and scored/forced a save, instead cut back looks for a lay off.

The subs looked decent, id like to see mcglashan get a start, offers good pace and an outlet. Anderson is turning me round, first half he was really hungry and had drive along with Alzate.

i have to say I have a soft spot for Crewe and the football they play, when they get the ball down they play some brilliant pass and move triangles and work up the pitch really fast. their goal scorer looks a real talent- real intent. Same last season when first half at the county ground they blew us away. obviously looking at the league table they don't do this every week but the football except for the last 30 when all they did was clear their lines which is their right by earning the lead.

Haven't bothered to read back through yet but can see above a taylor discussion. To me, a romanski player can do a job at left back, a defensive job. nothing else in terms of attacking and creating (same as that lump we had at right back last year who i forget. With taylor, he is more than capable defending with the odd mistake but his set pieces at this level is what can be decisive and win games. to me a risk worth having.

At the end of the day goals change games, we had as many chances if not more, they scored.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 23:43:49 »

did he say that early last season, because he started off slowly and it was fair criticism at that time.

I did, but I'd still have said it at any point in the season based on the original reason we got him - central midfield.  He was fucking shit there and has been everytime he has played there for us.

The guy has done well for himself but has never been a stand out player.  He has relied on a cracking left foot at set pieces, fair play to him for maximising that.

His best games were when we could hide him in a formation.  No lack of effort, and last season with lottery football having him in the team for set pieces was a great move in the end.  He has to have someone else behind him though - I'll stand by my view, he is a weakness at left back and was in central midfield.  He should not be someone we are relying in playing left back in a four man defence with a forward playing in front of him.  Adebayo works back better than Anderson did in the first couple of games, but neither protects him.  Anyway, he would have been a better bet today than Romanski turned our - that's the real worry for me.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 23:54:29 »

I did, but I'd still have said it at any point in the season based on the original reason we got him - central midfield.  He was fucking shit there and has been everytime he has played there for us.

The guy has done well for himself but has never been a stand out player.  He has relied on a cracking left foot at set pieces, fair play to him for maximising that.

His best games were when we could hide him in a formation.  No lack of effort, and last season with lottery football having him in the team for set pieces was a great move in the end.  He has to have someone else behind him though - I'll stand by my view, he is a weakness at left back and was in central midfield.  He should not be someone we are relying in playing left back in a four man defence with a forward playing in front of him.  Adebayo works back better than Anderson did in the first couple of games, but neither protects him.  Anyway, he would have been a better bet today than Romanski turned our - that's the real worry for me.
left back is the least of our problems. we don't have wingers but play like we do. we always look for the channels yet the person receiving only knows how to cut back or attempt a shit cross. any half decent cross there isn't a willing striker to get on the end of it. that's 4 positions to worry about ahead of left back where we aren't exactly conceding lots from in the last 5 games
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 00:04:00 »

Been back a while.

Piss poor....Anderson had a nightmare.

Only the keeper escaped a duff night.

Clems Army!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 03:36:09 »

Looks like my lack of broadband prevented me from witnessing that whore's melt of a game

Brown really doesn't practice what he preaches. Why leave a CB at RB when we have a perfectly good one on the bench? Why bang on about Twine having a Good career in front of him yet he's not even on the bench? Why take the Wolf off and leave Lancashire on? Think he needs to have a hard look at himself
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 08:43:15 »

Think he needs to have a hard look at himself

I reckon Phil regularly takes a look at himself in the mirror, and likes what he sees.   Managers are always undone by events, I daresay in Phil's head he saw the Diagouraga/Doughty axis, being very tasty for Div 4, and so far they've played about an hour together.

The latest report on Doughty doesn't look very good at all, I suspect we won't be seeing him any time soon.  Our only hope atm seems to be that Woolery might spark some life into the front men and dovetail seamlessly into a formidable attacking trident with Keshi and Elijah.... not so much the BBC, or MSN rather more the WAA  Crying
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 08:50:03 »

I said it pre season and I will say it again, we need another striker who will get us goals.

Richards has not been anywhere near the level he was last season, hes played yet again in a role that does not suit him, hes no target man.

Bayo is wasted on the left even though he can cut inside well I feel hes wasted as he doesn't get as much of the ball as Richards does in the middle, yet Richards does fuck all with it.

Taylor has been a weak point in the side all season, but Romanski was if anything even weaker, we need a good attacking left back as a priority, we got away with it last night as Crewe attacked us down the other flank all game and Woolf has his most uncomfortable game there.

Put Woolf at CB, drop the ever poor Lancashire, get Knoyle back at RB where he looks best...simple surely?

In midfield, Anderson and Alzate do a lot of running but with no end product, Anderson loves to spin like Mickey Hazard on the ball and dribble with speed but his final ball and shot is as it was last season....woeful.

Alzate can dribble has great control and pace, comfortable on the ball but his final pass or shot is almost as bad as Andersons, if he can improve that then Brighton have a great player on their hands, just get a few more long range shots in when you can...we know you can do it as you did at Yeovil.

Toums looks to have got back to fitness and looks our best defensive option by miles, he can tackle and dribble and almost every pass finds a Town player, thats all any defensive midfielder needs to do and he does it well.

Nelson is a very limited footballer, he is not great at short or long passing he doesn't read the game well but all that doesn't matter, he puts his legs/head/body into positions that save us, he is brave and can head a ball, wears his heart on his sleeve and not much gets past him, he could be the nearest to Shaun Taylor we have seen in 20 years, hes exactly what we have missed at the back.

Dunne, again last night went over the top on 2 tackles and was lucky not to be booked, his attacking play is much better than defensive, he is one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen. We need a fit Doughty back ASAP.

McGlashan flatters to decieve, he has bags of pace and skill and can dribble but goes to ground far too easily for me, stay on oyur feet and fight for the ball you just lost, in truth hes a typical lower league winger.

Romanski looked oiir at left back, not enough attacking but also not good enough defending, is massively one footed and has a really weak throw in, he can dribble with the ball but his passing is poor, he needs a season at Conference for me and is not ready for a starting slot.

Iandolo came on and played in a more central role and from there looked ok, took a couple of poor free kicks but also a couple of half decent ones, hit the post with a good shot, jury very much still out on him though.

LMC made a couple of excellent saves again and his kicking at times was our best attcking outlet, he deserves to be starting IMO.

Crewe were for me as poor as Macclesfield but got that goal which neither side deserved really.

Its not wrist slitting time but PB made a couple of selection mistakes again in not starting Dunne, starting the inefective Richards again.

For me the biggest problem is we don't shoot, when in great shooting positions we delay the shot or take one extra pass and try and almost walk it in yet we have players well capable of shooting, its like they are too scared to pull the trigger, it was similar under Williams and its fucking frustrating to watch, Anderson, Alzate and Dunne all being prime examples yesterday.

I still think a decent left back and a new striker and we will do ok and should easily make the play off if we can recruit them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 08:59:33 »

I reckon Phil regularly takes a look at himself in the mirror, and likes what he sees.   Managers are always undone by events, I daresay in Phil's head he saw the Diagouraga/Doughty axis, being very tasty for Div 4, and so far they've played about an hour together.

The latest report on Doughty doesn't look very good at all, I suspect we won't be seeing him any time soon.  Our only hope atm seems to be that Woolery might spark some life into the front men and dovetail seamlessly into a formidable attacking trident with Keshi and Elijah.... not so much the BBC, or MSN rather more the WAA  Crying

What have you heard about Doughty? We are really missing him at the moment.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 09:03:26 »

brown had been a bit non committal on Doughty's return.. in the pre-match presser:

PB | 💬 | On Michael Doughty.

"I don't think he'll be be available. It's proving longer than first thought. He's not 100% fit."

#STFC 🔴
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: