Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Oldham Athletic official match day thread  (Read 33665 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 08:59:16 »

I’d love to sign Sid Nelson. There was one point in the second half where the ball was at about waist height and he flew at it with a diving header to clear (possibly for a throw in) when it was more than feasible that he could have taken a kick in the face.

It’s evident that he is a bit of a nutter but I think he is exactly what we need at Centre back. Lancs was much better today, could it be him and Nelson may flourish as a CB partnership?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #211 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 09:06:18 »

He has earned his stripes. No hard feelings, no respect lost...

But we do need a new LB.
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #212 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 09:11:09 »

And finally. Sid is great.
We should try and sign him. There is no harm is asking!
Nearest thing we've had to a Shaun Taylor?
Definately agree.

ferret

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 09:11:55 »

I expect Nelson is the only one of the loanees who could feasibly be ours on a permanent in January. I totally agree that he would be a cracking signing, and spending 2 or 3 years down here could be a real benefit to both us and him.

Lancashire is getting better, but that was a real hospital ball that he played sideways in about the 88th minute. On another day that could have undone everything. He really needs to accept that he's the most limited player in the team.

It's a good point that our first 6 homes are against the 6 teams who are new to the division - I hadn't noticed this. None of them have more points than us, which is no great surprise given that only 4 teams do.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #214 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 09:13:50 »

I just noticed that was the first league game this season we have failed to score in.

Lancashire is getting better, but that was a real hospital ball that he played sideways in about the 88th minute. On another day that could have undone everything. He really needs to accept that he's the most limited player in the team.
Yes he did nearly cost us the game that was such a slow pass to Nelson. Otherwise he played quite well.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #215 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 09:27:17 »

Well it looks like some Oldham fans were expecting Real vs Barca yesterday judging by some of the comments.

We were absolutely lacking in ambition against a poor team today. I gave away 4 hours of my life (far less than those who travelled from Oldham) and £23 to watch an absolutely dire game of football.

It is not just at the Prima Donna level that football is dying. More games like this and it deserves to. Two teams near the top of the table, hard to say which was worse.

OK, miserable twat here. I spent 2 hours on the road - far less than most who travelled from Oldham to be fair - and forked out £23 for a match that was absolutely devoid of entertainment.

It was obvious after 15 mins that Swindon were a distinctly average team and that with just a hint of ambition 3 points were there for the taking. We never looked like scoring.

This is not good enough. The other 411 who travelled today deserve to be entertained (I don't get to many games these days, so will take the punishment). Much more of this and, God help me, I'll be tempted to side with Kusunga, Archie & co. 

It was pretty awful to watch today, we didn’t just come for a point, we came for 0-0, in fact both teams could have played rush keeper and it still might have finished 0-0

All in all, left frustrated at our lack of desire to win 3 points against yet another very ordinary team

Weird league this. Swindon won 3-0 at Yeovil last week who won 6-0 at Newport the week before who beat us the week before that, so lineally that’s progress. We could well have won today without the last minute sending off.

ferret

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 09:47:33 »

Well it looks like some Oldham fans were expecting Real vs Barca yesterday judging by some of the comments.

Interesting. They’re in quite an unusual position given that they’ve drawn 9 away league games since February, and were relegated midway through this to their lowest level in 40 years or something. An away draw is a bit of an everyday occurrence, and they probably just assumed that in dropping down they’d win a few more.

We have been a polar opposite - we went from November 2016 until February 2018 without drawing a single away game. So I guess we currently treat an away point with a bit more respect.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 10:01:06 »

Not sure what the Oldham fans were moaning about. For a 0-0 I quite enjoyed it. We looked a completely different team to the one that cocked up every previous home game but managed to get out of jail in 3 of them.

We looked solid, professional, confident and organised - which if that is going to be the norm from now on - is going to cement us in the top 7.

Dave was superb, as was Anderson, defence minus the usual all piss and panic we've become do used to was, thankfully, absent.

Dunne for Doughty has curtailed our offence but improved our defence. Personally, I'd go with Doughty as we did look a bit impotent yesterday.

Vast improvement in overall performance and bodes well
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 10:22:57 »

They got Real v Atletico instead.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 10:33:54 »

Not sure what the Oldham fans were moaning about. For a 0-0 I quite enjoyed it. We looked a completely different team to the one that cocked up every previous home game but managed to get out of jail in 3 of them.

We looked solid, professional, confident and organised - which if that is going to be the norm from now on - is going to cement us in the top 7.

Dave was superb, as was Anderson, defence minus the usual all piss and panic we've become do used to was, thankfully, absent.

Dunne for Doughty has curtailed our offence but improved our defence. Personally, I'd go with Doughty as we did look a bit impotent yesterday.

Vast improvement in overall performance and bodes well

Good summation. Unfortunately I think Oldham were exactly the same and therefore the two sides effectively cancelled each other out. We huffed and puffed but ultimately couldn’t blow the blue house down.

We should be looking at at least 4 points from the next 2 games which will see us in the play offs at least. Have you seen how tight the league is? A streaky 1-0 yesterday would have been fantastic but a point and a clean sheet not to be sniffed at.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 10:48:55 »

Interesting selection problem with Knoyle available again.
Wolf has done ok and so has Lancashire in the last couple of games, but Knoyle offers more going forward.
Putting him in at left back could be seen as unnecessary and risky tinkering.
Next game is away, so maybe best to leave as is, and just bring Romanski in at LB.

Brown certainly has a tricky selection for Tuesday.... options but not quite obvious ones. Last season Iandolo filled in at LWB for a bit, as he could get on set pieces.  Alternatively he could use Romanski there and have a back 4 of centre halves, by sticking KK on the bench.... with Dunne and Toumani in there, would be a strong looking defensive unit, but losing forward potential. Having got back to back clean sheets, the least disruption makes sense.

At the outset, this season looked to be about getting the maximum out of Doughty and Diagouraga, I kind of assumed playing together, but so far it's just been a couple of short appearances... half hour v Tranny and Toumani was subbed off then a half and a bit at Crawley.  So we don't yet know if this key axis works. I'm guessing MD if not fit for Sat won't be fit for Tuesday.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 15:40:53 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 16:56:45 »

Knoyle on the left - sorted
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 17:01:15 »

Of course we have to wonder whether Saturday, Tuesday is too much for Lancashire when considering a possible defensive lineup.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 17:14:16 »

.. and Richards in attack...
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 19:09:18 »

thought it was also a decent game for a 0-0. I said I'd consider Crewe on Tuesday if they played well and I'll be going up now.

as against Franchise when i last attended, strikers do worry me. Richards really isn't getting a lot of the ball and adebayo- I love the bloke when running with the ball and causing problems. barely won a header though and surprising for someone that tall.

anyone else wonder why toumani- The beast that he is. doesn't go up for any corners or freekick? it's not as if he is pacey which the last man usually is.

a tidy performance. if anyone was to win- it should have been us based on intent and the little openings created.

best game iv seen Anderson play live. in. probably forever. wish he would do more as he can be a fantastic player.

nothing worse than seeing a poor striker display and then getting home and see Norris has banged in again! hopefully woolery is back soon
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: