Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Oldham Athletic official match day thread  (Read 33683 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 18:23:50 »

Oh, and my opinion may be wrong, we may end-up struggling by the end of the season.  It's just that, right now, nothing suggests that to be the case.  We've had one poor game, and one awful one, some so so and some good.

To Crewe, a game we really could be going to with confidence of getting a positive result.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 18:39:31 »

You also said, in response to someone going for a 2-1 win, that was wildly optimistic.  It clearly wasn't.  At worst it was a hopeful aspiration, as the game then showed, as we were probably marginally better.  Suggesting a 2-1- win against that Oldham team is wildly optimistic was clearly over emphasizing some sort of odd assessment that we are not very good.  We didn't "battle" to the draw, we were comfortable.

I've said from the first game, we look good for the play offs.  Today backed that up, not quite enough for top three for me, but certainly more than enough to be in the hunt for top 7.  You obviously do not concur, because you keep suggesting a draw is the most we should hope for in games.  That's fine, it's opinions, but you also tell people you only look at the evidence, facts and data.  They all suggest we are in the hunt, they all suggested we should be more than in the game against Oldham.  You can tell us you've seen enough that we are poor or no better than mid table strugglers if you think that, but at least commit to it.

You kept on saying we'd make the PO's last year... we didn't.

If you read PV's breakdown of recent Town games v Oldham at the CG and looked at their record on the road.... one defeat this year at Wigan, despite relegation, added to their concession of a single goal away in Div 4, should be enough to tell you that getting a win however desirable was a tall order.

Interestingly Crewe, next up are decent at Gresty Road and have only conceded 1 goal.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 18:55:48 »

Oh, and my opinion may be wrong, we may end-up struggling by the end of the season.  It's just that, right now, nothing suggests that to be the case.  We've had one poor game, and one awful one, some so so and some good.

To Crewe, a game we really could be going to with confidence of getting a positive result.
Your opinion may have been wrong Rob but you had the balls to express one on a public forum where vultures are waiting to sink their claws into those whose musings weren't 100% accurate. & do so without actually sticking their neck out to offer a solid prediction themselves. The irony is phenomenal.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Flashheart

« Reply #198 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 21:16:18 »

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 21:16:41 »

My opening of the thread said it would be a tough game but thought we'd get a 2-1 win. We seemed to have strengthened and I'm optimistic we will get better. I must actually get to a game, soon.  Smiley
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 22:27:56 »

Perhaps the red card is a blessing of sorts. If whoever plays out there (probably Romanski, I suppose it could feasibly be Knoyle) can make a respectable case, it will be much easier for Brown to make the call.

I will always have great respect for Taylor - we’ve been shafted by so many 35+ year olds during my time, but he has genuinely cared and last season he was our best player by a stretch. But yes, although there are still moments of beauty, his number is now up. I don’t really know what that tweet was about - there’s not much to discuss in my opinion.

We did fine overall. Dave now looks like the player who we thought we’d signed - a class act. Dunne really did bust a gut today - and managed to keep his head and discipline, which he normally seems to lose when he’s playing well. For the first time all season we failed to score and, unfortunately, we didn’t work their keeper - just as they didn’t really work ours. A fair result.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 22:39:54 by ferret » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 22:57:04 »

Fantastic summary on Taylor. He's earned his stripes.
Flashheart

« Reply #202 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 23:12:38 »

He has earned his stripes. No hard feelings, no respect lost...

But we do need a new LB.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 23:21:59 »

You kept on saying we'd make the PO's last year... we didn't.

If you read PV's breakdown of recent Town games v Oldham at the CG and looked at their record on the road.... one defeat this year at Wigan, despite relegation, added to their concession of a single goal away in Div 4, should be enough to tell you that getting a win however desirable was a tall order.

Interestingly Crewe, next up are decent at Gresty Road and have only conceded 1 goal.

I can read plenty well, but thanks for caring.

My issue is with your specific line about it being wildly optimistic, it wasn't.  A 5-0 win would classify under that heading, not 2-1.

We have been beaten by the best team in the league and had an off day against Bury, so it should be just as likely that Oldham would have thought a point would be a good result - you know, the team who made a substitution with 30 seconds of injury time to go to specifically be sure of earning that point.

And no, we didn't make the play offs, and we should have.  The team we had and the opposition we played, we should have been able to reach the play offs.  We were close.  So close in fact that you previously stated how poorly Brown had done, at least statistically.  We could probably agree we fluffed it when we had an opportunity to do more.

This season, we have largely been pretty good.  Our form over 10 games is good enough for the play offs if stretched over a season.  You can argue if you think it will get worse, but you always tell us to use the evidence.  The evidence backs up being optimistic.  Knock yourself out though.  At a guess, you'd suggest that having 10 points by now would be an achievement, something we should hope for more than expect ( I can't be arsed to check your pre-match "predictions" to confirm).  So there's one thing, Brown is over performing for you.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 23:26:12 by RobertT » Logged
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 23:40:12 »

Fantastic summary on Taylor. He's earned his stripes.

I really don’t feel that he needs to retire mid-season - even this month the guy has scored an inch-perfect free kick, pinged in an (underrated) 50 yard cross for the MK equaliser and contributed towards 3 clean sheets. We are not in crisis territory.

90 minutes, 40 times is way beyond him. But half an hour here and there is well within reach. I’d love there to be one final big moment to remember him by, because Matty Taylor is exactly what a modern footballer should be. Someone who, for all the £s in the bank, really wants to play 4th division football for Swindon Town every week until his body really won’t allow it.

Granted, I’ve been drawn into biting at all the egotistical Smeeton bullshit enough times, but let’s all rise above it and talk about something more worthy of conversation.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 23:45:24 by ferret » Logged
johnritsons toupe

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 23:40:31 »

My issue is with your specific line about it being wildly optimistic, it wasn't.  A 5-0 win would classify under that heading, not 2-1.

We have been beaten by the best team in the league and had an off day against Bury, so it should be just as likely that Oldham would have thought a point would be a good result - you know, the team who made a substitution with 30 seconds of injury time to go to specifically be sure of earning that point.

And no, we didn't make the play offs, and we should have.  The team we had and the opposition we played, we should have been able to reach the play offs.  We were close.  So close in fact that you previously stated how poorly Brown had done, at least statistically.  We could probably agree we fluffed it when we had an opportunity to do more.

This season, we have largely been pretty good.  Our form over 10 games is good enough for the play offs if stretched over a season.  You can argue if you think it will get worse, but you always tell us to use the evidence.  The evidence backs up being optimistic.  Knock yourself out though.  At a guess, you'd suggest that having 10 points by now would be an achievement, something we should hope for more than expect ( I can't be arsed to check your pre-match "predictions" to confirm).  So there's one thing, Brown is over performing for you.

Both you guys make some good points, and I enjoy reading your posts and opinions.

It's fucking tedious reading the smart-arsed, dick-waving shit though.

Play nice, eh?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 00:32:04 »

You may be going native.... I come home from the pub, meet interesting people and post something in response to  the match day thread opener... that's all. Don't take it too seriously, it's the TEF. It used to be about amusement.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 08:26:57 »

He knew it wasn't wildly optimistic himself. He just needed a reaction. Hence my response directly underneath where I used the 'claps hands' emoji.

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 08:31:23 »

Perhaps the red card is a blessing of sorts. If whoever plays out there (probably Romanski, I suppose it could feasibly be Knoyle) can make a respectable case, it will be much easier for Brown to make the call.

I will always have great respect for Taylor - we’ve been shafted by so many 35+ year olds during my time, but he has genuinely cared and last season he was our best player by a stretch. But yes, although there are still moments of beauty, his number is now up. I don’t really know what that tweet was about - there’s not much to discuss in my opinion.

We did fine overall. Dave now looks like the player who we thought we’d signed - a class act. Dunne really did bust a gut today - and managed to keep his head and discipline, which he normally seems to lose when he’s playing well. For the first time all season we failed to score and, unfortunately, we didn’t work their keeper - just as they didn’t really work ours. A fair result.
Great points about MT. I did feel sorry for him late in the 2nd half when, despite being clearly knackered, he made a lung busting run to create the angle for a cross & was given a dreadful pass by JMC.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 08:50:12 »

An ok game. Would have been better if the ref had let it flow a bit more.

We needed to up the tempo with the passing just a little, but trying to break down 10 men behind the ball is always difficult.

So 10 games in.
I think we are still in transition (but with enough to be in contention for the plays offs), with having to accommodate two 35+ year old players.
Taylor still looks to have decent energy levels and can still offer something.
Richards appears to be struggling and needs some help, which will hopefully arrive in January, particularly as I can't recall an effort on target yesterday from any of ours.

We've failed to beat 3 of the 4 relegated teams at home and the Cobblers are next up.
Not sure there is any significance in that, other than pointing to a difficult start, on paper at least, in terms of fixtures at home?

Proper melee at the end. Just like the good old days under McMahon.
Probably a 'failure to control players' charge on the way for both clubs.

The red card. Clear goal scoring opportunity. 60 yards away from the goal. In League 2. A tad harsh.
The letter of the law I guess, but we've had similar before from a lot a closer in, where the opposition player hasn't even been carded.

Interesting selection problem with Knoyle available again.
Wolf has done ok and so has Lancashire in the last couple of games, but Knoyle offers more going forward.
Putting him in at left back could be seen as unnecessary and risky tinkering.
Next game is away, so maybe best to leave as is, and just bring Romanski in at LB.

And finally. Sid is great.
We should try and sign him. There is no harm is asking!
Nearest thing we've had to a Shaun Taylor?
Swindon expects....

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: