Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Oldham Athletic official match day thread  (Read 33655 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:27:05 »

The challenge by Taylor.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1046065551582400513

I think to be sent off on the half way line was quite unlucky.

He gave the player the run on him originally, so covering his own mistake.  I think their player gets to the box, neither of our two would have caught him, so I think it was fair enough.   Some refs would probably give the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think there is enough there to get a result on appeal.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:27:07 »

Still looks clean through to me so no complaints, but some refs may take the distance into account.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #182 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:35:56 »

I think our crossing was poor, any that fell between the 6 yard box were easily caught by the keeper, so not enough threat on them.

Alzate has the most assists, near the top in the league as well, so he can certainly produce a good final ball.  Today he tried too much, a bit like Anderson does, and  it meant he wasted some good positions.

Probably try Romanski at left back.  If Taylor has any self awareness he'd have a word with Brown and let him know he'll hang his boots up in the next window, to get Brown working on a replacement.  In the meantime he can work o his coaching by helping Romanski take his place.
I agree.

I think Romanski will do ok at LB as a temporary solution but I would prefer a more experienced fullback there long term, that is definately the weak link in our team now.

I feel similar about Richards, hes past his best now and not found any form at all since his injury in the Summer. I would still like a striker who is in the poacher mode like Ajose who only needs half chances to score in the box.

I like Andersons running and approach play but his finishing is dire most of the time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:38:11 »

It's a crop, there's no malice in the challenge. For me it's a professional foul and with the position of halfway line, Diagouraga (I think) and another tracking back, the Oldham player maybe gets to our box (players generally run faster without ball than dribbling with). I suppose we're splitting hairs. Maybe one of our two gets to him before he positions himself for a shot. I don't think we deny them a goal scoring op. For me it's a very certain yellow. A red from there is fairly harsh. Had it been combined with a sliding rash tackle then yeah, every day. Can't really label it a "tackle from behind" as they're next to each other.

Ahh fuck it, I just wish we'd capitalised and got the win. A decent point on reflection later on no doubt.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:40:12 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Flashheart

« Reply #184 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:41:57 »

It's just occurred to me that you can play the game back on Ifollow for replays.

Oh, and a special mention to Ifollow today. They managed to go the whole game without any commentary whatsoever. A truly special performance from them.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:50:38 »

It's just occurred to me that you can play the game back on Ifollow for replays.

Oh, and a special mention to Ifollow today. They managed to go the whole game without any commentary whatsoever. A truly special performance from them.

I just spat my tea out. Truly special indeed. I might design my own "shit football platform" and sell it to the FA. At a cut down price. Around £50m? It won't fucking do what it's supposed to do and there will be no customer support (well, a bot may reply after a month providing an FAQ) and we won't give a fuck if we don't provide all the services we say we wll. In fact many matches that you've paid for will just display a black screen with no explanation.

Anyone want in? I'll happily split it 50/50. £25m each and then sack it off after a season.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:53:47 »

one thing mentioned on the FB group of interest that I didn't notice so can't confirm - we've made the pitch narrower.

something that aren't allowed to do after the season starts.

allegedly. as I said didn't notice so may be bobbins
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:56:09 »

That was a red card all day, and every day.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 17:08:28 »

Not read back yet so here are my thoughts.

A tough tough game against a very organised, albeit toothless Latics side, who I though defended brilliantly from start to finish. They blocked everything and their centre backs cleared corner after corner as we managed not to create a single clear cut opportunity. (Neither did they to be fair)

I thought we look better defensively, Sid Nelson would head an anvil if you chucked it up in the air and I thought Olly Lancashire looked better today. Wolf at RB looks a solid acquisition also. Dunne had his best game for ages that I have seen and well deserved his applause when taken off. DT looked well improved and looked comfortable sat in front of the defence. Alzate oozes class but just tries to do a bit too much. If he can tone that down, he’ll be unplayable at this level. I love Adebayo as well, he is big, powerful and has good feet, nothing fell today but he still worked his socks off.

Negatives, Taylor was poor, you can’t question his work rate but he wasn’t at the races today. Poor deliveries, risky passes etc. Best thing he did was take one for the team in the last minute taking a deserved red as Oldham broke (I doubt they would have scored though, they were crap going forward). I thinking Richards is struggling as well in our formation, he won a few good headers second half but generally looked below par.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 17:08:47 »

Reg will be happy, that we staved off the inevitable defeat.  backs to the wall, should have lost it by 3 type of performance no doubt :-)

I said this was a difficult game and a draw would be acceptable.  Had we won I think it might have been a strong marker about improving prospects, but that was always hope over expectation, and as all Town fans should know it's the hope that gets you.

10 games in is usually a reasonable amount to take a look at how the season is shaping up.... what it tells us is that we're on the same ponts as last season, there or thereabouts but still short of being wholly convincing, a bit like the other 11 sides who are 2 points apart around the PO slots.

There are a lot of draws in this league, as there isn't much too choose between most sides. If Mansfield win their game in hand v Crewe they'll jump to 5th from 14th, 3 points of auto, however such is the nature of Div 4 this season, it wouldn't be a surpise to see them pass up the opportunity.

Cobblers up next, who are looking a bit suspect, along with Grimsby, Macc and Morecambe, whom despite their good win today, you'd expect to struggle.   Wouldn't be surprised to see Cobbelers sack Austen this week, so we might catch the wrong end of that.

Hold the back page.... just noticed there's a full round of games on Tuesday... apparently we're at Gresty Road.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 17:26:13 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 17:24:48 »

I said this was a difficult game and a draw would be acceptable.  Had we won I think it might have been a strong marker about improving prospects, but that was always hope over expectation, and as all Town fans should know it's the hope that gets you.

10 games in is usually a reasonable amount to take a look at how the season is shaping up.... what it tells us is that we're on the same ponts as last season, there or thereabouts but still short of being wholly convincing, a bit like the other 11 sides who are 2 points apart around the PO slots.

There are a lot of draws in this league, as there isn't much too choose between most sides. If Mansfield win their game in hand v Crewe they'll jump to 5th from 14th, 3 points of auto, however such is the nature of Div 4 this season, it wouldn't be a surpise to see them pass up the opportunity.

Cobblers up next, who are looking a bit suspect, along with Grimsby, Macc and Morecambe, whom despite their good win today, you'd expect to struggle.   Wouldn't be surprised to see Cobbelers sack Austen this week, so we might catch the wrong end of that.

After the next set of results, we could be 4th. Or we could be 17th!
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 17:53:50 »

With the Matty Taylor professional foul, let's not forget Crawley did it to us when we were 2-1 up when Alzate was on the edge of the box then go on to equalise.

Taylor makes the foul in his own half so what is the clearer goal scoring opportunity? At best it's a point gained back from the two lost at Crawley.

Sent from my HTC U11
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 17:54:36 »

I just spat my tea out. Truly special indeed. I might design my own "shit football platform" and sell it to the FA.
Pretty sure the iFollow deal was done by the League, not the FA
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 18:03:11 »

We must have the most red cards in the entire football league

I did wonder what our record number of red cards in a season is  Hmmm  got to be relatively recent, as you could commit GBH back in the day and not get anything more than a stern word.

Seem to remember Cooper's sides having poor disciplinary records.

Cooper's 13/14 side had 7 reds .... Nathan Byrne 2, JMac, TAH 2, Nathan, and Alex Pritchard, my instinct tells me that is likely the most in a season.  Can't be arsed to do the research.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 18:43:25 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, September 29, 2018, 18:18:37 »

I said this was a difficult game and a draw would be acceptable. 

You also said, in response to someone going for a 2-1 win, that was wildly optimistic.  It clearly wasn't.  At worst it was a hopeful aspiration, as the game then showed, as we were probably marginally better.  Suggesting a 2-1- win against that Oldham team is wildly optimistic was clearly over emphasizing some sort of odd assessment that we are not very good.  We didn't "battle" to the draw, we were comfortable.

I've said from the first game, we look good for the play offs.  Today backed that up, not quite enough for top three for me, but certainly more than enough to be in the hunt for top 7.  You obviously do not concur, because you keep suggesting a draw is the most we should hope for in games.  That's fine, it's opinions, but you also tell people you only look at the evidence, facts and data.  They all suggest we are in the hunt, they all suggested we should be more than in the game against Oldham.  You can tell us you've seen enough that we are poor or no better than mid table strugglers if you think that, but at least commit to it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: