Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 44832 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:17:44 »

An interesting point re: MK is the number of late goals they're conceding.

Inside the last month, in the league:
94th minute here
80th minute vs FGR
94th minute vs Lincoln
88th minute vs Yeovil

And in cups:
91st minute vs Bournemouth
87th minute vs Peterborough
93rd minute vs Peterborough

On the back of the league goals, what would have been 10 points has been cut to 3.

Here they failed to make any substitutions, which, as discussed at the time, is pretty odd for a team 1-0 up. Last night they only made 1 - and conceded another key late goal.

Tisdale is obviously a bit of an oddball. He had a big influence at Exeter, and rightly so. He therefore might have got away with these things. But I can see patience running thin at MK pretty quickly.

From the MK Dongs forum....the natives aren't very happy.

Not a chance we'll go up like this. I cannot see us playing a worse team all season.

Absolutely no excuses. I don't care if we've only lost 1 game blah blah blah - this is league fucking two, we should be walking this with this squad. Honestly, it's like the team just don't learn or improve. This is fucking Yeovil we're talking about.

Yeovil today were one of the worst teams we've ever played, let alone this season.

It can't get much worse than Yeovil. They were absolutely atrocious, it was like a training game for us.

Sod off back to Exeter, obviously your the reason we're so shit, can't take chances, can't hold a lead against another poor side, rediclous, beyond a joke!!

Absolutely, fully, 100% still support Tisdale. He was a good appointment and is doing an acceptable job.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:27:16 »

Mmmmmm, redicious!

I think we’re a rather tolerant lot when it comes to managers. The only one I’ve ever vocally abused was McMahon. Obviously others were shit but I just couldn’t bring myself to hound poor old Luke who was a decent bloke dropped right in it by Abbott and Costello.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:54:24 »

Mmmmmm, redicious!
Yeah that comment annoyed me. If they are going to insult him at least spell it rite Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 15:39:38 »

Conceding late goals more often than not is a sign of being unfit IMO.

Danny Wilson's 09/10 side conceded late, meaning after 87 mins 6 times in 09/10, 5 of them being 89 or 90. Each time a winning position was spurned to end in a draw.  We finished 4 points off an auto slot.  V Sarfend we conceded 2 in he last 5, v Charlton added on time when they had 9 men.

Used to do my head in.... was it fitness  Hmmm or as Ferret suggests use of subs. My feeling was it was the coach being conservative, rather than thinking we can see it out, perhaps better to go a bit gung ho, and play up the other end of the park looking for more goals
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 21:38:55 »

Danny Wilson's 09/10 side conceded late, meaning after 87 mins 6 times in 09/10, 5 of them being 89 or 90. Each time a winning position was spurned to end in a draw.  We finished 4 points off an auto slot.  V Sarfend we conceded 2 in he last 5, v Charlton added on time when they had 9 men.

Used to do my head in.... was it fitness  Hmmm or as Ferret suggests use of subs. My feeling was it was the coach being conservative, rather than thinking we can see it out, perhaps better to go a bit gung ho, and play up the other end of the park looking for more goals

There are few more frustrating things for fans than a team which ships late goals.

I remember it being an issue under Wilson. Looking back, I suppose we had a really good team but not much of a squad. The subs just weren’t in the same category as the 11. Macklin for Charlie, or Hutchinson for Paynter, aren’t the sort of changes that were ever likely to be made for more than a few minutes here and there.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Thursday, September 27, 2018, 06:07:33 »

Leicester away 1980-something. Down to 10 men and 2-1 up with about 5 mins to go. Still haunts me to this day! Crying

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Thursday, September 27, 2018, 07:32:53 »

Of course, so far this season we've been the other way round. We've conceded our fair share, many of them over the first quarter of games.

But the only goal of any relevance which we've conceded after the 56th minute was the penalty at Crawley, where we'd been playing with 9 men for about 40 minutes.

And, of course, we've already scored a fair few (very) late ones. Adebayo has scored or assisted many of them (won a penalty vs Macclesfield, scored vs MK, scored at Yeovil), and he's clearly an athletic guy who will be particularly useful late in games.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Thursday, September 27, 2018, 08:37:45 »

There are few more frustrating things for fans than a team which ships late goals.

I remember it being an issue under Wilson. Looking back, I suppose we had a really good team but not much of a squad. The subs just weren’t in the same category as the 11. Macklin for Charlie, or Hutchinson for Paynter, aren’t the sort of changes that were ever likely to be made for more than a few minutes here and there.

Had high hopes for Lloyd Macklin. Scored loads for the youth team.
Made a few appearances in 09/10 but picked up an injury.
Remember the lime green boots in the "you've got be good to wear those" days.

Played for a few years in non league and now looks to have packed it in at the end of last season, still in his twenties.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Thursday, September 27, 2018, 09:06:20 »

Played for a few years in non league and now looks to have packed it in at the end of last season, still in his twenties.

Never really recovered form the abuse sent his way from the Arkell's on debut.  Came on v Orient (08/09) at 0-1, about on hour in, and proceded to give a very nervy display of running into dead ends.  We needed points at the time as with a handful of games left we were very much in the relegation mix. At the time I thought even by the completely illogical standards of some of our fans this was OTT and uncalled for.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Friday, September 28, 2018, 11:42:21 »

Never really recovered form the abuse sent his way from the Arkell's on debut.  Came on v Orient (08/09) at 0-1, about on hour in, and proceded to give a very nervy display of running into dead ends.  We needed points at the time as with a handful of games left we were very much in the relegation mix. At the time I thought even by the completely illogical standards of some of our fans this was OTT and uncalled for.
Not just Macklin, we keep doing it to young players trying to establish themselves. On the one hand there's the adulation directed at NT, but then some people seem to expect young players to step out of the academy as fully fledged pros. That's why we don't get to say "He's one of our own" very often.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Friday, September 28, 2018, 12:20:14 »

And then you get Tom Smith who is the greatest player England has ever produced...
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Friday, September 28, 2018, 12:34:11 »

It's true, we always have an extreme view of them. We could carry on listing them both ways. Storey was at one end of the popularity scale, Pook at the other. Whereas they really both belonged in the middle somewhere.

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Friday, September 28, 2018, 12:43:17 »

It's true, we always have an extreme view of them. We could carry on listing them both ways. Storey was at one end of the popularity scale, Pook at the other. Whereas they really both belonged in the middle somewhere.

My view of Smith was based on him looking considerably better than what we had at the time from what I saw of him. Connor Thomas etc!! Pook was rightly at the bottom end of the popularity scale, he was fucking shit. Storey showed a lot of initial promise but faded somewhat.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Friday, September 28, 2018, 13:48:13 »

Before a change in shifts I used to get to quite a few youth/reserve games.

Macklin is easily the second best player I saw for us at that level in that time period. Only one who was better was Lukas Jutkiewicz and he definitely benefitted from being a tank from about 14.

Probably Nathan Thompson after that. Scott Doe always looked handy but never got a chance with us.

Lapham & Stroud never stand outs at youth level but both had MotM performances in the first team. Although they went as quickly as they arrived.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Friday, September 28, 2018, 14:00:58 »

Macklin is easily the second best player I saw for us at that level in that time period. Only one who was better was Lukas Jutkiewicz and he definitely benefitted from being a tank from about 14.

If Wiki is to be believed in 49 games for us and Torquay before he dropped into non league he scored 1 goal.....
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: