Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 44800 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #300 on: Monday, September 24, 2018, 07:38:49 »

Bamber, Quinn and White up front, what a forward line that was!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Monday, September 24, 2018, 08:47:34 »

Re. Dave Bamber - this game here against Oldham in 87/88 sums up the great man for me. Oldham had come to 'park the bus' years before Jose first uttered the words. The game was clearly heading for a 0-0 draw before a couple of moments of Bambi magic changed the game. There's actually not much of the game on there but the clip is utterly magical for those of us of 'a certain age'. A fantastically non-pc quote from Lou in there as well - "I'm supposed to have hit one of my players - which I did" Fabulous. Imagine the reaction these days from the 'Twitterazzi' et al...

Clap

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19880112

Thanks for that OST! Great find.

The player Macari hit would be Steve Foley. Previous game was a cup tie at Fratton Park where Foley wasnt happy about being subbed. I had a video of that game and the fight got a mention on the commentary.

Interesting stat :-

We won more games against top division sides that season (6) than we managed in a whole season of top division games in 93/94!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #302 on: Monday, September 24, 2018, 08:53:55 »

Part of the reason Stigger was subbed was because he was still under the influence of alcohol that day, as he was on several occasions for Town, great player who if he stayed sober was the best player on the pitch.

He turned up for one game when I worked at the club barely able to walk as he stumbled out of his car after a lot of bevvies, he was told to go home by Macari and I had to order him a taxi to get home because he wanted to drive while still heavily inebriated and myself and other officials at the club wouldn't allow it.

Such a waste of great talent.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Monday, September 24, 2018, 09:34:46 »

Part of the reason Stigger was subbed was because he was still under the influence of alcohol that day, as he was on several occasions for Town, great player who if he stayed sober was the best player on the pitch.

He turned up for one game when I worked at the club barely able to walk as he stumbled out of his car after a lot of bevvies, he was told to go home by Macari and I had to order him a taxi to get home because he wanted to drive while still heavily inebriated and myself and other officials at the club wouldn't allow it.

Such a waste of great talent.
There used to be a picture of him behind the bar in the Swiss Chalet (is it still there? Someone will probably tell me it was knocked down 20 years ago) two blokes were holding him up one under each arm (think one of them was the landlord at the time) and judging by the photo his state can only be described as pissed as a cunt.

I remember the time my mate was looking to buy a second-hand car and he had seen an advert in the adver for a Cavalier about 3 years old. we went to have a look the bloke comes to the door and I go to my mate (not a Town can) oh my god oh my god it's Steve Foley!!! We went in and had a chat (is Doberman tried to hump my mate's leg) and we took the car out for a test drive (I have a vague memory of the rear view mirror falling off) he was giving it the predictable Scouse Schpeel..."fookin' great caa did ladz...Kingy down at da ground's desparate to buy it off us..." He didn't buy it and I seem to remember some time afterwards reading in the adver that Stigger had (allegedly) tried to sell a car that didn't belong to him in fact it may have belonged to the club. my memory is not too clear on that one though so  far be it from me to cast aspersions on his good character...
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Monday, September 24, 2018, 20:11:21 »

One my favourite players Stigger, i enjoyed his hat-trick in the 5-2 win over Leicester in 1991

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 08:17:17 »

Whoever does the official social media postings needs to give it a rest; yes it was a good win & yes it rained but that is enough, no need to continue to post about all aspects of it. All very tinpot and cringeworthy

I come from a land down-under
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #306 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 08:37:30 »

Ha they literally can't win. Don't post get abuse, post and still get abuse.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 09:01:22 »

Whoever does the official social media postings needs to give it a rest; yes it was a good win & yes it rained but that is enough, no need to continue to post about all aspects of it. All very tinpot and cringeworthy

Very much the modern day. We're probably one of the least cringeworthy sides in League Two from what I've seen. For what it's worth I enjoy the videos of the players after a game.

I would suggest if you don't like it, then don't follow.
Flashheart

« Reply #308 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 10:17:12 »

It's a bit much for my taste, but it's still not that bad although they do occasionally go overboard. There's plenty that would be lapping it up and I doubt they're trying to cater specifically to grumpy middle-aged men.

As mentioned already, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 10:37:52 »

Goal gifs. What's the point?

Yours,

G.O.M
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 21:14:48 »

Yeovil and Franchise drew 1-1 tonight.... fwiw a good outcome for us, Yeovil go above us but only on GD and keeps the execrable turd that is Franchise below us.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 11:13:55 »

An interesting point re: MK is the number of late goals they're conceding.

Inside the last month, in the league:
94th minute here
80th minute vs FGR
94th minute vs Lincoln
88th minute vs Yeovil

And in cups:
91st minute vs Bournemouth
87th minute vs Peterborough
93rd minute vs Peterborough

On the back of the league goals, what would have been 10 points has been cut to 3.

Here they failed to make any substitutions, which, as discussed at the time, is pretty odd for a team 1-0 up. Last night they only made 1 - and conceded another key late goal.

Tisdale is obviously a bit of an oddball. He had a big influence at Exeter, and rightly so. He therefore might have got away with these things. But I can see patience running thin at MK pretty quickly.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:34:49 »

Conceding late goals more often than not is a sign of being unfit IMO.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:37:00 »

Agreed. That's got to be all the more reason to make some substitutions though.

So the manager could be criticised on 2 counts there.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:39:10 by ferret » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:39:21 »

And the opposite is also true, under Macari we scored a lot of goals late in games and we had the fittest side in the division.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: