Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 44807 times)
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 18:51:15 »

Sat in with the Yeovil lot - they couldn`t quite believe it all - lots of `best team we played this season comments` - can`t quite work out if we were just on it today or if they were just right off it - Yeovil weren`t in it and we played as well as I can remember for a long time - bloody brilliant - we looked strong and played as a team - if we can play like this every week we should be right up there....COYR

Bathtime
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 19:04:51 »

Just listened again to PBs post mach and this gave me marginal concern;

'Macca (Neil MacDonald) is as keen and ambitious, as what I am. He's been at the highest level, he wants to get back up there, same as myself. It's one of them, where you just piece the jigsaw together slowly but surely...'

Hmm, PB has stuck around at most of of his jobs but I do wonder if he's already starting to formulate his (and NM) exit strategy.

Possibly reading too much into it? That aside. Cracking win.
I wouldn't say you were reading to much into it, it's a given that any manager/coach is going to want to ply their trade at the highest possible level so it's a natural and understandable thing to say.

The only way that's going to happen though is for PB and NM to do an outstanding job at STFC which means success on the field for the team. As we all know, the lot of the lower league fan is that your manager / team doing well means they ultimately bugger off. It's the price you pay.

Having said that, they've done nothing yet so they are going nowhere. Although a month of poor results* will mean that for a lot of people, they won't be able to get out of town quickly enough.

*I obviously hope that doesn't happen and don't think it will. Hopefully things will continue to build, we get promoted, finish in the top half of L1 and they move on with our best wishes. Everyone's happy  Cool
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 19:46:21 »

I would fully agree but the fact Brown has stuck around at most of his jobs. Only really Derby was the outlier but it was his first attempt at management proper, so I excuse that and Preston was one season split over two and never really got going. Whereas Hull & Southend he stayed for 4 and 5 years respectively. It's testament that in modern football Brown is only managing his 5th club, in 14 years. I'd love to see him stay and take us to the Championship. He has the nous and building blocks to do that. Only time will tell.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 19:54:25 »

3 crackers

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11506036/yeovil-0-3-swindon
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 19:54:33 »

Well that was worth it!

Right behind Adebayo's goal, in as soon as it left his boot, they all were.

Cracking performance.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 21:23:10 »

Love the bloke on crutches at the end...

Clems Army!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 23:27:58 »

Some serious crutches  Cheesy
newmarket red
, ; . ' ?

Thrives on negativity.

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 05:35:30 »

Thought the bloke was going to eat them Cheese
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 08:38:12 »

Faith restored!

Credit to the management and players for sorting it out after last Saturday.
Also going from missing Doughty badly to not missing him at all yesterday.

Noticed that Conroy travelled with the squad.
The fitness guy had him doing circuits around half the pitch at half time.
Looked as if he was going to throw up at one stage.
Maybe no need to rush him back with Sid & Wolf playing well and Lancashire did ok yesterday.

Well worth a soaking anyway.
A relatively rare occurrence these days.
I think it's just Macclesfield also having an open terrace.
The other three grounds with open away sections, that I can think of, are all in L1?
All good fun, but miss the days of a good drenching on the Stratton Bank.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 08:43:57 »

Encouraging stuff.  I really enjoyed reading back through this Match Day Thread this morning (with special thanks/mention to PV!)  But for goodness' sake, can we please put a run together now and aim for a bit of consistency?  I don't want to spend the autumn/winter scrapping around the fringes of the promotion places.  Let's show some ambition, jump to the top 3 in the next few games and then stay there.  Please.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #265 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 09:12:15 »

Encouraging stuff.  I really enjoyed reading back through this Match Day Thread this morning (with special thanks/mention to PV!)
You are more than welcome Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #266 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 09:39:19 »

As Yeovil don't have a forum here are the comments from their FB page, don't wish to disappoint Wobbly Bob Wink

Queue the usual poor spelling and swindle comments ... yawns.

I think Swindon came to us to put the boot in, they were 3-1 whenever we got the ball, three themselves to the floor at the slightest touches and the ref bought it, we didn't deal with it and use it to our advantage. However we were poor, couldn't string two passes together and were slow to move the ball around

Thought Swindon took there 3 goals very well&could of been more if not for Baxter.

Bevis was awful, turning circle of an oil tanker and the delivery of a striking postman!!

Bevis was crap yea, but so were the rest of them, no leadership whatsoever, Swindon had done their homework closed down fast we never had any time on the ball. Fela’s pen, let’s not go there, if his head gets any bigger it will explode.

I tbink it is quite easy for oppositjon to work out how to play against us. Swindon defended deep so no space behind back four for our quick players to run into.

After the Lord Mayors show a dose of reality!

I thought it was a very fair score line, they were on top from start to finish, we just weren’t on it today

the Ref didnt help. He missed so much including a clear handball in thd build up to the 3rd goal.
Ofellas should have had a 2nd chance at the penalty as 2 Swindon players almost tackled him as he took his shot.
Overall we were poor and didnt deserve a point.
Swindle lived up to their name.

And from Darren Way post game....

Yeovil Town manager Darren Way felt that Swindon Town's determination to stop the club's defensive record was greater than his own side's, on a day in which they finished second best in a 0-3 defeat. The Glovers boss made reference to a pre-match interview by Robins midfielder Toumani Diagouraga where he had referenced Yeovil's run of minutes without conceding a goal, and the challenge to try to end that run of League Two games without conceding a goal.

That five-and-a-half game shut-out was finally broken in the 59th minute of this afternoon's match at Huish Park, leaving 573 minutes between their last goal the Glovers conceded, as Steven Alzate netted from range. That was quickly followed by strikes from Matthew Taylor and Elijah Adebayo to give the Wiltshire side a 0-3 victory. Way told BBC Somerset after the match he felt the opposition were faster to first and second balls, and admitted his side were not good enough on the day:

"We're really disappointed. We knew Swindon were going to come and try to make sure that they stopped our record. That was first and foremost, and they were more determined and they got to first and second balls, and I felt they played better than us. We didn't get our game going at all. I said to the players in there now, that we need to hold our hands up, and out of respect look each other in the eye, and say that wasn't good enough. It's probably the first time that I've had it with this group. I'll be really interested now in looking at the response, because on Tuesday (against Milton Keynes) it gives us the opportunity and that inspiration to go fourth if we get that win."

Way added that he was unhappy with Alzate's goal not being closed down, whilst he implied that for Taylor's goal that the communication between those in the defensive wall and the goalkeeper wasn't there. But he also hinted at a bit of complacency having crept in since last weekend's 6-0 victory over Newport County, saying that he had warned his team of that possibility:

"The most amazing thing is that all I've been talking to the players about this week is complacency and what it means. I didn't feel there was much in the game. The strike (for the first goal) was from distance, and I think he (Steven Alzate) was very lucky to find that flying in the back of the net. We've normally blocked and tackled in that area. Then the free kick for me was pretty obvious really when Matthew Taylor steps up. So I was disappointed with that. You get the penalty and you've got a chance of getting back into the game, and I suppose that summed our day up really. But the players have been on a great run, and I can't be too critical of the group. But it's making sure they understand that's not us and that's not acceptable."

And a question and answer with DW after the game.

Yeovil Town manager Darren Way spoke to local journalist Chris Spittles, in an interview for BBC Somerset, after his side had lost 0-3 against Swindon Town on Saturday 22nd September 2018.

CS: Darren, a disappointing afternoon.

DW: Yes, we're really disappointed. We knew Swindon were going to come and try to make sure that they stopped our record. That was first and foremost, and the energy that they got from that, they were more determined and they got to first and second balls, and I felt they played better than us. We didn't get our game going at all. I said to the players in there now, that we need to hold our hands up, and out of respect look each other in the eye, and say that wasn't good enough. It's probably the first time that I've had it with this group. I'll be really interested now in looking at the response, because on Tuesday it gives us the opportunity and that inspiration to go fourth if we get that win.

CS: It's the first time that it's happened. Is there anything that you can put it down to, in particular?

DW: The most amazing thing is that all I've been talking to the players about this week is complacency and what it means. I didn't feel there was much in the game. The strike (for the first goal) was from distance, and I think he (Steven Alzate) was very lucky to find that flying in the back of the net. We've normally blocked and tackled in that area. Then the free kick for me was pretty obvious really when Matthew Taylor steps up. So I was disappointed with that. You get the penalty and you've got a chance of getting back into the game, and I suppose that summed our day up really. But the players have been on a great run, and I can't be too critical of the group. But it's making sure they understand that's not us and that's not acceptable.

CS: You were disappointed with the free kick - was that with the wall, the goalkeeer, or both?

DW: I just think that with Taylor in that position, it was pretty obvious where it was going to go. But for him to get it in, in the way that he did, I'm just as disappointed with that as probably Newport were disappointed with their goals. When you keep it at 1-0 in a local derby, you've got a chance of getting back in it. That's because I still felt that there wasn't really a lot in the game and there never is in a local derby. But for it to be 3-0, I didn't feel it was a true reflection. But it was our mistakes.

CS: At 2-0 you had the penalty. Now you've had a bit of an issue with penalty takers. Of course Alex Fisher had the one saved and he wasn't on the pitch. Olomola the designated taker, but unfortunately he couldn't find the back of the net either.

DW: It's important that he keeps his head up. I think he's very disappointed in the dressing room. But players miss penalties and what I don't want, is I don't want it to become a habit. We've done great in the Checkatrade, and since everyone has been saying who is going to be the next penalty taker. They've been working on it all week in training. For him to practice, and then not get it right on the day is unfortunate. So I can't say he's not been practicing. Unfortunately he missed that one but I'm sure he will bounce back.

CS: No Gary Warren today. You haven't conceded a goal with Gary Warren on the pitch. He's missing today and you concede three. How much of a miss was he?

DW: Well he's a big miss, and quite clearly I don't want to put it all down to Gary Warren. I feel that it's a team thing when you defend, which is why I've not singled any defender out or goalkeeper out, because I think the whole team has done its job. Today he (Steven Alzate) gets a shot off from 45 yards and it flies in the back of the net, and that's not us. We have to take responsibility as a team. I don't want to put too much emphasis, because Gary was not playing, because I thought Enes Mahmutovic did well. We've just got to make sure that we regroup, and as I've said we've got to go for fourth now on Tuesday.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 09:44:19 »

Good work as always JJ. Unbelievable that they don't have a forum  Huh?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #268 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 09:48:47 »

Good work as always JJ. Unbelievable that they don't have a forum  Huh?
It was closed down due to lack of traffic about 3 or 4 years ago mate, that is almost every post about the game on their FB page too, their fanbase is really poor now considering it was higher when they were non league.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 10:18:30 »

I really do wish the term 'Swindle' was born from referees missing decisions to our advantage and the occasional feisty challenge.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: