Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Bury official match day thread  (Read 37054 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 11:17:10 »

I would still rather have PB than Flitcroft under any circumstance, I know you won't ever agree but I and many others would.

If I did possibly add it up wrong PB still has a higher win ratio with us than Flitcroft at the Stags.

I just look at the stats, then look at the circumstances they were achieved under and make a considered opinion.  I have no particular feeling either way, but do like to see accuracy.  There's not a lot between either, both jobbing lower league gaffers having to work with Power, PB may have a point or 2 on Flitcroft, which come the end of the season could be significant, but at this early stage is not much of a signifier.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #226 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 11:50:31 »

If any of you haven't seen the highlights of the Newport v Yeovil game, take 2 mins out of your day and watch them, OMG possibly THE worst keeping performance by any professional I have ever seen, makes RCC and Moore look like world beaters, I would hazard a guess that LM or Vigs would have both easily kept every one of these goals out of the net, number 6 is a doozy, the man should be drug tested or maybe he had a bet on the result.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/yeovil-town/11499331/newport-0-6-yeovil

I was watching the third when he makes the initial stop and then just gives up for the rebound, and thinking he can't do much worse than that... I was absolutely wrong Cheesy
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 11:52:28 »

If any of you haven't seen the highlights of the Newport v Yeovil game, take 2 mins out of your day and watch them, OMG possibly THE worst keeping performance by any professional I have ever seen, makes RCC and Moore look like world beaters, I would hazard a guess that LM or Vigs would have both easily kept every one of these goals out of the net, number 6 is a doozy, the man should be drug tested or maybe he had a bet on the result.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/yeovil-town/11499331/newport-0-6-yeovil
That was pretty excruciating... Huh?

Re. Flitcroft - I just think he is a bullshitting twat and an absolute imposter of a manager.
Analyze that Reg... Wink
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 12:11:02 »

I just look at the stats, then look at the circumstances they were achieved under and make a considered opinion.  I have no particular feeling either way, but do like to see accuracy.  There's not a lot between either, both jobbing lower league gaffers having to work with Power, PB may have a point or 2 on Flitcroft, which come the end of the season could be significant, but at this early stage is not much of a signifier.

I do not like Brown, my concerns being his schooling, and while he's managed in some tough situations (to get a win ratio up), it does beg the question about whether or not he can be a success.  However, after watching the first 8 games this season, I would happily take an eternity of watching his team vs. a Flitcroft team if they achieved the same results.  Flitcroft is a confirmed fuckwit who created the singularly worst team to watch in my living memory as a STFC fan (I watched some of the early 80's but was too little to remember any of it!).  I'd take Malpas and McMahon as joint Managers over him.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 13:52:15 »

I do not like Brown, my concerns being his schooling,

Would you have preferred a Doughty style alma mater  Hmmm

Personally, I'm not overly fussed by a managers personality, if he gets decent results. So for example McMahon was a fairly unpleasant individual, but I was happy enough with him when we achieved our only Div 3 title.  Whereas Luke was a decent enough chap, but not sufficiently principled to walk when clearly out of his depth.... interestingly a decision supported by many on here, who said they'd do the same in his boots, whereas for me it's about being able to hold your head up.

PdC may have been a right wing loon, but was principled enough to walk over Ritchiegate
« Last Edit: Monday, September 17, 2018, 14:21:40 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 17:38:53 »

Brown has Allardyce as his original mentor and reputation suggests his teams end-up pragmatic in approach - it worried me when we recruited him, it still does today.  That being said, it is much more watchable recently than anything served up by Flitcroft.  Results wise they seem similar, so I'll take Brown (which is useful given that is how it will be).  Hopefully Saturday was Brown's version of the Crawley/Barnet versions under Flitcroft.  If that is the case, it wasn't as bad, small mercies!!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 17:50:45 »

Brown has Allardyce as his original mentor and reputation suggests his teams end-up pragmatic in approach - it worried me when we recruited him, it still does today.  That being said, it is much more watchable recently than anything served up by Flitcroft.  Results wise they seem similar, so I'll take Brown (which is useful given that is how it will be).  Hopefully Saturday was Brown's version of the Crawley/Barnet versions under Flitcroft.  If that is the case, it wasn't as bad, small mercies!!

But after the Luke/Tactics/Power triumvirate, the pragmatic approach for life in Div 4 is exactly what we needed. 

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 18:18:28 »

Glovers' favouritism may work to our advantage.... it isn't unusual for a side getting a massive win not being able to back it up next game, I'm kind of hoping Yeovil don't have a boycott game midweek.  Take last season for instance, Yeovil shipped 8 at Luton opening day, which Luton backed up by losing 1-0 at Barnet.

After we beat Bury 8-0, we lost at home to Exeter, which still remains the only time they've won a league game at the CG in my near 60 years.

Wait. You're not yet 60? The world's just tilted off its axis.  Eek

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 22:21:43 »

Wait. You're not yet 60? The world's just tilted off its axis.  Eek

Not well worded... 60 years of going to the CG
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 13:12:55 »

Phew. And you were 20 when you went to your first game, right?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 13:30:16 »

55 according to this?  Hmmm

TEF: FIRST TOWN MATCHES
Reg Smeeton
1962/63:
Swindon Town Reserves 4-2 Birmingham City Reserves (Clearest Memory)
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?AuxiliaryTeam=Reserves&MatchID=1519631519

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 13:41:47 »

55 according to this?  Hmmm

Clearest memory....  too little to remember much earlier,  other than having been lifted over turnstile by the old man.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 13:50:56 »

Ouch!  Smiley
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 17:45:04 »

Clearest memory....  too little to remember much earlier,  other than having been lifted over turnstile by the old man.

Good work JJ. Which means Reg was maybe 4 or 5 years younger when he attended his first game (and apparently couldn't recall anything from up to five whole seasons - most unlike him). That still makes him no more than about 64. Which means he was younger than I am now when he started this Old Father Time thing.  Wink

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 17:47:16 »

Good work JJ. Which means Reg was maybe 4 or 5 years younger when he attended his first game (and apparently couldn't recall anything from up to five whole seasons - most unlike him). That still makes him no more than about 64. Which means he was younger than I am now when he started this Old Father Time thing.  Wink
Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: