Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106789 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #405 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 12:34:22 »

We're 2 points adrift from the top.

Every point so far has been thoroughly deserved, and we could have had more.

That's how we are shaping up.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 12:39:03 »

Haven't seen us in the flesh this season, but from what has been posted on here I would say we are shaping up OK. Certain posters seemed to relish the idea we would be in relegation trouble by the end of August which we aren't, whilst the demise of Bury has also made our job that little bit easier?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 13:00:44 »

Early days still but starting to remind me of the Kingy 03/04 play off team.

Good strikers who will get goals
Midfield with creativity
Porous defence

Can’t see us snatching many 1-0 wins but a fair few 3-2s
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 13:55:29 »

Early days still but starting to remind me of the Kingy 03/04 play off team.

Good strikers who will get goals
Midfield with creativity
Porous defence

Can’t see us snatching many 1-0 wins but a fair few 3-2s

One of those nearly seasons.... we've had a few, where at times we were very good and others less so, and just falling short, which is always highly annoying.

Kingy certainly liked a donkey defender... he had Reeeves, Heywood, Adi Viveash, and supplemented with O'Hanlon and Jerel.

Perhaps if he'd gone done the PdC route, of having more of a footballer in there alongside a donkey it might have worked better.  PdC sticking Alan Mac in there.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 14:33:56 »

One of those nearly seasons.... we've had a few, where at times we were very good and others less so, and just falling short, which is always highly annoying.

Kingy certainly liked a donkey defender... he had Reeeves, Heywood, Adi Viveash, and supplemented with O'Hanlon and Jerel.

Perhaps if he'd gone done the PdC route, of having more of a footballer in there alongside a donkey it might have worked better.  PdC sticking Alan Mac in there.

I’m sure we had Miglioranzi in the back three for a preseason game that year, maybe Portsmouth.
That donkey defence needed better protection but our defensive midfielder was Hewlett who was useless
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 14:34:21 »

At the end of the day it's about getting results. It's very difficult to play sexy football over a 46 game season, great when you can but when you can't it helps if you can find another way.  Think that's what BD means when he talks of no plan B.

FWIW I would say ColU and Newport were every bit as bad as anything Flitcroft served up, just in a slightly different way, meaning you can tell early doors that you're in trouble but can't do anything about it, so a certain inevitabilty in the outcome.

Our problems atm are quite simple amd best illustrated by corners..... look like conceding, rarely look like scoring.

Newport > Flitcroft Swindon, not in style, but in looking good at it
Colchester => Flitcrofy Swindon, they seemed more like a one game plan than they knew how to do it out of instinct
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 15:25:48 »

Newport > Flitcroft Swindon, not in style, but in looking good at it
Colchester => Flitcrofy Swindon, they seemed more like a one game plan than they knew how to do it out of instinct

I meant the performances from us, as being as bad.

How others play is up to them.

By bad, I don't mean a head count of how many times your centre half hoofs it into row z or your defensive midfielder gives the ball away, more an overall view and feel for the likelihood of winning the game as it evolves. Of course if the basics are wrong it has a knock on effect, but you can tell if you have some control on the game or whether the opponent has, and if so what are the chances of wrestling back control.

The 2 games mentioned I'd say we lost control and losing looked inevitable, this isn't a characteristic that encourages belief you're looking at an auto side.  However I accept that in both injuries provided some mitigation, so it is a trend that can be reversed. Let's see.
Panda Paws

« Reply #412 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 16:18:30 »

It's still too early. You can present both the extreme positive and extreme negative in equal light.

The three games we've lost have been caused by a terrible ref and two disastrous injuries. Away from home we look fantastic.

Or

We've been found out by every half-decent team we've played and only beaten teams 15-24. Defeat looks inevitable against anyone outside the bottom 10, particularly at home.

Realistically neither take is useful, or true.

We're a decent side. Margins at the top of L2 are small. We've got enough to compete for autos, but could easily be derailed by key injuries, player exits and managerial exits. The same as another 6-8 teams.

Right now, we're in touch. Go along at close to 2 points per game and stay in the hunt. That's all that matters.  
« Last Edit: Monday, September 30, 2019, 16:52:04 by Panda Paws » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 16:31:15 »

The other side of this particular coin are the other clubs. We only have to be less shite than 21 of the rest.

Is there really any club in this league that is much better than us - let alone 3.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 17:00:47 »

PP is right.

to quote somebody or other about treating the imposters of triumph and disaster the same.

oh, fancy a Bakewell tart now
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 17:37:58 »

I’m sure we had Miglioranzi in the back three for a preseason game that year, maybe Portsmouth.
That donkey defence needed better protection but our defensive midfielder was Hewlett who was useless

He played there in a league game - Rotherham away?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Tuesday, October 1, 2019, 00:25:04 »

He played there in a league game - Rotherham away?

That was as a back 4. The following season and post Kingy.

Our first away of the season, in December

If my memory serves me right
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: