Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106754 times)
hammondt1

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Friday, September 6, 2019, 11:57:12 »

Somebody really needs to find out if his deal includes an option to recall

I was lucky enough to be part of the match sponsorship for the Northampton game. As part of the deal, we got to meet Wellens, Hunt, Chorley and Jewell before the game. Wellens said that Bradford do not have a January recall. He did also say that he wanted five new players due to the lack of depth but was totally dependant on outgoings. I thought it was clear he was referring to Toums.     

Twitter-----@hammondt1
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 08:42:08 »

ITK   Wink  Great to hear what Wellens said about Doyle. 

Especially after having had the wind put up with all the historical parallels drawn with Blackburn and Dunc.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 10:07:49 »

Indeed, that puts that issue to bed, lovely
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 09:05:48 »

Two months in and it’s still so far so good.

The team just needs to carry on with what they are doing.
Yes, they’ll need to do it a bit better on occasion and take the chances when they come along, particularly against the big physical sides.

In terms of any tweaks, keep Fryers in central defence alongside Baudry when he comes back.
Two ball playing centre backs are crucial to the way we play.
The Trophy game should be an opportunity to get Broadbent and May up to speed and also hopefully give Curran a chance.

Wellens praised May in the week so I can understand why he put him on yesterday.
Maybe it’s now time for Doughty to start. Was playing very well up until the suspension.
Based on yesterday he probably needs to be in from the start and is likely to chip in with a few goals as well.
Rose could be the one to drop out. He’s done ok but Doughty offers much more going forward and Grant looks like he can handle the DM role on his own at the moment.

We missed Keshi yesterday. Hopefully he'll be fit for Bradford.
Four games against teams currently in the top half coming up in October, including two of the relegated sides from L1.

And a word on the much maligned (by some) Ellis Iandolo.
Possibly the most improved player so far and just goes to show what the backing of the manager and a run in the first team can do for a young player.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 09:22:35 »

Two months in and it’s still so far so good.

The team just needs to carry on with what they are doing.
Yes, they’ll need to do it a bit better on occasion and take the chances when they come along, particularly against the big physical sides.

In terms of any tweaks, keep Fryers in central defence alongside Baudry when he comes back.
Two ball playing centre backs are crucial to the way we play.
The Trophy game should be an opportunity to get Broadbent and May up to speed and also hopefully give Curran a chance.

Wellens praised May in the week so I can understand why he put him on yesterday.
Maybe it’s now time for Doughty to start. Was playing very well up until the suspension.
Based on yesterday he probably needs to be in from the start and is likely to chip in with a few goals as well.
Rose could be the one to drop out. He’s done ok but Doughty offers much more going forward and Grant looks like he can handle the DM role on his own at the moment.

We missed Keshi yesterday. Hopefully he'll be fit for Bradford.
Four games against teams currently in the top half coming up in October, including two of the relegated sides from L1.

And a word on the much maligned (by some) Ellis Iandolo.
Possibly the most improved player so far and just goes to show what the backing of the manager and a run in the first team can do for a young player.

We're a point better off than the Flitcroft season after 11 games, so in the mix, but there are a number of very obvious  question marks, the answers to which will unfold over the next say 10 games.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 09:35:30 »

Doing better than I expected. Depth of squad is obviously an issue.

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #396 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 09:56:36 »

Lets step back and take a look at our 3 defeats this season.

Northampton, the goal should never have stood, Williams was 3 yards offside.

Colchester, we lost our important centre back early in the game which caused chaos at the back and the shape of the team was upset, that part was out of our hands somewhat.

Newport, we lost our important centre back early in the game which caused chaos at the back and the shape of the team was upset.

Yes pre season we thought we had a glut of decent centre backs, Conroy, Baudry, Broadbent, Ballard, Curran and Fryers who could fill in if he was required. Even Romanski was a possible.

Now we have Curran who doesnt seem close enough to the first team yet, Broadbent has had a disastrous drop in form and seems unpickable, Fryers looked well out of position yesterday at times, Baudry still out for another week or so, Ballard out for the season and it seems the same could well happen to Conroy.

Do we go out into the free transfer market and see if we can get someone in? he could well take a few weeks to get up to pace and fitness, Ferdinand was mentioned a few weeks back as a for instance.

Or do we risk Curran or even Broadbent?

Grant filled in fine there for 90% of the game, as did Fryers, but its neithers favourite position and TBH we need Grant protecting the central defenders anyway.

Yes we won't come up against a team with such a massive team and gameplan like Newport often but we need contingency plans, to lose 3 of your first choice CB's so early in the season doesn't bode well, especially with what appears to be 2 out for the season and Baudry yet to really impress when he does play.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #397 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 10:07:41 »

Wellens has to be at fault for the decision to bring on May yesterday instead of Curran or Broadbent, or why not bring on a more attacking option in Doughty, May is not anywhere near good enough for the 1st team and should be used as a last resort.

Grant fille din really well but hes not and never will be a centre back and was badly missed in midfield, yes Newport bypassed midfield a lot yesterday so I can see Wellens thinking that he may not be needed there but we miss him chasing balls down and May could barely find a red shirt when he did get the ball.

This is where the experience of Jewell needs to come to the fore, he needs to take Wellens to one side and get to the bottom of his decision which was clearly wrong. Power has said a few times recently that Wellens has a great working relationship with Jewell.

It could just be naivity or inexperience, but its something Wellens needs to look at himself over and learn from his mistakes.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 10:15:58 »

A few are bemoaning a lack of a Plan B. Tbh, I reckon our Plan A is good enough on most occasions and should be persevered with.

Baby and bath water and all that
Peter Venkman

« Reply #399 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 10:27:58 »

A few are bemoaning a lack of a Plan B. Tbh, I reckon our Plan A is good enough on most occasions and should be persevered with.

Baby and bath water and all that
Absolutely, it seems that when we lose a player we fail to go back to plan A, which was working all along.

Our passing always seems to go to pot and we stop doing the simple stuff that works, balls to feet, quick passing and running at the opposition with speed.

We only started getting back to doing that at the start of the 2nd half, then we made the substitution and we conceded within a minute or so as we reorgansized the defence the defence for the 2nd time, Newport capitalized on that change.

We don't need a plan B as such we just need to get back asap to the working plan A.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 12:08:55 »

plan A went out the window when Grant was sacrificed from midfield.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 12:25:36 »

Seeing as it wasn't my fault, I shall be returning for the Plymouth league game.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 12:35:58 »

Wellens has to be at fault for the decision to bring on May yesterday instead of Curran or Broadbent, or why not bring on a more attacking option in Doughty, May is not anywhere near good enough for the 1st team and should be used as a last resort.

Grant fille din really well but hes not and never will be a centre back and was badly missed in midfield, yes Newport bypassed midfield a lot yesterday so I can see Wellens thinking that he may not be needed there but we miss him chasing balls down and May could barely find a red shirt when he did get the ball.

This is where the experience of Jewell needs to come to the fore, he needs to take Wellens to one side and get to the bottom of his decision which was clearly wrong. Power has said a few times recently that Wellens has a great working relationship with Jewell.

It could just be naivity or inexperience, but its something Wellens needs to look at himself over and learn from his mistakes.

Wellens still has credit in the bank, he has improved us since our latest relegation to Div 4, that is the first requirement.

At the same stage we're a point better off than under Flitcroft and 4 under Brown.  Whether he can maintain that improvement and turn into something meaningful by season's end is moot.

For me there were at least 3 obvious question marks going into the season 1. Too many loans (a Wellens complaint from last season) 2. Having too many players in the squad who couldn't be picked (a Wellens complaint from last season) 3. Too many players with questionable fitness records.

The upcoming dozen games up until Christmas should give us a pretty good idea if we can enter 2020 with any optimism.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 11:30:36 »

It may only be 1 point better off than Flitcroft, but at least 8 of the games have been well worth the watch and even the three losses have been better than many wins under Flitcroft.  I'd take this as an upgrade and day of the week.  After Saturday my feelings were more of "we are going to get some of those" rather than  worry, and after the wins I've often been feeling "that was great to watch" rather than "at least we got the point".
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Monday, September 30, 2019, 12:17:30 »

It may only be 1 point better off than Flitcroft, but at least 8 of the games have been well worth the watch and even the three losses have been better than many wins under Flitcroft.  I'd take this as an upgrade and day of the week.  After Saturday my feelings were more of "we are going to get some of those" rather than  worry, and after the wins I've often been feeling "that was great to watch" rather than "at least we got the point".

At the end of the day it's about getting results. It's very difficult to play sexy football over a 46 game season, great when you can but when you can't it helps if you can find another way.  Think that's what BD means when he talks of no plan B.

FWIW I would say ColU and Newport were every bit as bad as anything Flitcroft served up, just in a slightly different way, meaning you can tell early doors that you're in trouble but can't do anything about it, so a certain inevitabilty in the outcome.

Our problems atm are quite simple amd best illustrated by corners..... look like conceding, rarely look like scoring.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: