Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106727 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 14:03:51 »

I will ask my Bradford supporting work colleague how many they anticipate bringing
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #376 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 14:09:05 »

I will ask my Bradford supporting work colleague how many they anticipate bringing
They only took 600 to Stevenage and 1,200 to Crewe and 1,800 to Grimsby.

If they are up near the top of the table they will bring a fair few I would think.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 14:10:27 »

For the first time since PdC was in charge I am looking forward to watching games again.

There is a feeling surrounding the club of advancement and happy faces, something that has been missing a long long time at STFC.

We are playing decent football, scoring goals, not collapsing when we go a goal behind. Looking fairly solid all over the pitch (central defence slightly excepted) but I feel we will win way more than we will lose this season.

Its great for the fans to have some optimism again.

I've seen a lot of posts like this but yours is the most recent to quote so this isn't specifically only you. I think the cb partnership have been really good and conroy has been fantastic. Are the goals conceded really their fault?

Against Morecombe- it was all Rose's fault trying a silly turn in his own half, Northampton was offside, carisle was errors from full back  Hmmm friers fault? but he is an attacking full back so you have to take both sides with that criticism.  

didnt see the scunthorpe game but that was a clean sheet and same with exeter and chelt.

Have i missed something with this concerning defence or is that because we are scoring a lot the defence is being looked at as an obvious weakness?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #378 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:04:39 »

Have i missed something with this concerning defence or is that because we are scoring a lot the defence is being looked at as an obvious weakness?
I can understand your comment, because we look better in attack the defence now looks weak in comparison, but for me all the defenders have been guilty of several mistakes in every game they have played except for Hunt.

Reid and Fryers have been guilty of letting players past them far too often but we have not defended the balls coming into the box as well as I think we should have.

Baudry and Conroy have both made many mistakes that with better finishing would have been costly, both guilty of at times very poor distribution.

Baudrey has been ok in the main but has always got 2 or 3 mistakes in his locker per game, the same applies to Conroy, his heading has improved but his stopping has gone backwards IMO.

As for goals directly attributable to them, I would say the 2nd at Cheltenham should have been cut out by Baudry.

Saturday the striker got in between both of them to score when neither was anywhere near the shooting player.

The goal at Exeter the striker who scored from 8 yards out was totally unmarked and was right between Conroy and Baudry under no pressure from either.

The 2nd goal vs Carlisle Baudry lets the striker accross his body 2 yards out so was at fault there.

They look like they will become a good pairing but they are both a bit behind the game at times and not reading it that well.

Just my opinion of course.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:07:53 »

Baudry and Conroy have both made many mistakes that with better finishing would have been costly, both guilty of at times very poor distribution.

In basic terms I would imagine that if either of them were not prone to mistakes and had consistently good distribution they would not be playing for Swindon Town in the fourth tier!
Flashheart

« Reply #380 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:10:08 »

We look shaky at the back at times. We've not conceded that many, but it could easily have been more.

Baudry is the biggest culprit for me... too many unforced errors. Hopefully, he will settle into it though because he looks nervy at times.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #381 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:10:45 »

In basic terms I would imagine that if either of them were not prone to mistakes and had consistently good distribution they would not be playing for Swindon Town in the fourth tier!
I concur with that totally, but we have had many defenders who have looked far less prone to silly mistakes so often, and in this division. Nelson, Broadbent (last season), Preston and Flint for example.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:17:47 »

Aren’t all L2 defenders a bit shite? The benefit with Conroy and Baudry is their style of play is paramount to the team’s overall style. Sure, they could boot it like the majority of donkey defenders but that then nullifies our midfield gems.

Also, the generally shit strikers aren’t always going to convert from every error made.

On balance, keep things as they are.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #383 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:21:32 »

My biggest disappointment this season defensively has been Broadbent.

Obviously we aren't privvy to whats gone on in the Summer but hes a pale shadow of his first few months with us.

So much so that Wellens publically lambasted him after the Chelsea game, which cannot do much for his confidence whether deserved of not, it was an unexpected criticism of someone who has suffered from problems off the pitch (apparently) and maybe a little unwarranted all things considered.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17820096.tom-broadbent-little-catch-swindon-town-manager-richie-wellens-eye-chelsea-defeat-plus-latest-injury-news/?ref=ar
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:23:21 by Peter Venkman » Logged

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 16:53:07 »

I can understand your comment, because we look better in attack the defence now looks weak in comparison, but for me all the defenders have been guilty of several mistakes in every game they have played except for Hunt.

Reid and Fryers have been guilty of letting players past them far too often but we have not defended the balls coming into the box as well as I think we should have.

Baudrey has impressed me in the main but has always got 2 or 3 mistakes in his locker per game, the same applies to Conroy, his heading has improved but his stopping has gone backwards IMO.

As for goals directly attributable to them, I would say the 2nd at Cheltenham should have been cut out by Baudry.

Saturday the striker got in between both of them to score when neither was anywhere near the shooting player.

The goal at Exeter the striker who scored from 8 yards out was totally unmarked and was right between Conroy and Baudry under no pressure from either.

The 2nd goal vs Carlisle Baudry lets the striker accross his body 2 yards out so was at fault there.

They look like they will become a good pairing but they are both a bit behind the game at times and not reading it that well.

Just my opinion of course.

fair enough cheers. yh i can see we have been let off the hook at times and i agree (against morcambe they missed a sitter before half time and could easily have been 3-2 at the break) but in a weird sense i don't count that. similarly we should have scored a lot more if our strikers had been better its all relative to me. the saturday goal surely can't be attributed to a cb issue as rose gave it away and they were stranded.

i think they compliment each other well but agree of the 2 Baudry has looked the more shaky- as a side, in the utd pre-season friendly he won every single attacking corner albeit off target and thought we might have a goal in his locker this season.

agree about broadbent, i really liked the look of him last season- conroy to me was always a really good player but suffered under flitcroft/brown being in and out the team constantly and this is what will happen to broadbent- its very hard to come in at the back and be good from the off- yesterdays game and others a like will help though.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Friday, September 6, 2019, 10:39:46 »

conroy to me was always a really good player but suffered under flitcroft.

Conroy featured in 7 of 8 games under Flitcroft, before pulling up lame v Stevenage, which finished his season.

At the time Flitcroft said he was a good player, and it was a shame because they were starting to get some defensive work into him, which he needed.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Friday, September 6, 2019, 10:50:59 »

Was at Stevenage back in March. wasnt too long after Broadbent joined and he was truly awful that night. Mind you he wasn't the only one.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Friday, September 6, 2019, 11:05:43 »

Was at Stevenage back in March. wasnt too long after Broadbent joined and he was truly awful that night. Mind you he wasn't the only one.

Diagouraga looked like a competition winner that night, truly abysmal. As you rightly said, so was pretty much everyone else that night.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Friday, September 6, 2019, 11:43:08 »

Diagouraga looked like a competition winner that night, truly abysmal. As you rightly said, so was pretty much everyone else that night.

Yes! Those two were my pick of the worst that night.

I saw Dave start at crawley at the beginning of last season. Wasnt much better and it was then I realised he'd been 'Nalised'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Friday, September 6, 2019, 11:46:21 »

More a case of we’ve been Taribo West’d

At least we knew Nalis was old.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: