Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 107210 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 12:39:52 »

Sidi, Grant and Doughty playing against Brentford today.

Henry, Reid, Broadbent, Curran, Romanski, May, Doughty, Grant, Sanokho, Twine, Woolery.

Tasty for a friendly!

That's a more than capable reserve side! On paper at least.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 12:42:48 »

0-0 at HT

May with a volley cleared off the line. Henry called into action from a free-kick.

Swindon 0-1 Brentford

They had a couple of million pound players playing. Sounds like not much happened. Minutes in the tank, though.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 13:46:47 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 13:52:49 »

That's a more than capable reserve side! On paper at least.

Interesting that Benda isn't in that side.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 14:12:55 »

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2019/september/swindon-town-v-brentford-bcd-friendly-04.09.19/
Briggany

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 14:22:56 »

Can someone explain what this Duncan Shearer thing is about please? I'm not too clued up on that.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 14:38:32 »

Can someone explain what this Duncan Shearer thing is about please? I'm not too clued up on that.

It arose from speculation about whether Bradford would recall Doyle if he was going well and we were threatening to compete with them for promotion. It's not quite like the Shearer case, where Blackburn in their Jack Walker moneybags days bought our best-performing striker in order to derail our competition with them for promotion to the first division, as it was then. Of course, we were complicit by accepting their bid.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 14:40:33 »

He (Shearer) was scoring goals for fun for us, and we were challenging for promotion alongside Blackburn, and others.

Blackburn, then managed by Kenny Dalglish, bought Shearer from us. It transpired that Blackburn did not buy him so he could score goals for them, but to stop him from scoring goals for one of their promotion rivals (us).

There is a chance that Bradford could do similar with Doyle.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:03:16 »

Orient game sold out after allocation increased twice. Isn't this now the 3rd successive away game we've sold out? That alone tells you a lot about how we're shaping up - it's fun and exciting to be a Town fan again
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:07:39 »

Amazing support. I know Exeter and Cheltenham aren't exactly far and I imagine our away games after this will be back to 4-500 but it's still good to see. Good crowds at home too (if Morecambe brought more than 7 people that would have been 7K+ too).

Great what some simple engagement can do. Ben Hooke deserves a payrise
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #369 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:08:29 »

Orient game sold out after allocation increased twice. Isn't this now the 3rd successive away game we've sold out? That alone tells you a lot about how we're shaping up - it's fun and exciting to be a Town fan again
For the first time since PdC was in charge I am looking forward to watching games again.

There is a feeling surrounding the club of advancement and happy faces, something that has been missing a long long time at STFC.

We are playing decent football, scoring goals, not collapsing when we go a goal behind. Looking fairly solid all over the pitch (central defence slightly excepted) but I feel we will win way more than we will lose this season.

Its great for the fans to have some optimism again.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #370 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:09:52 »

it's fun and exciting to be a Town fan again

It is. Really looking forward to every game as it approaches.

It wasn't that long ago that football felt like a chore for me; one evening I even chose to do some work instead.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 10:30:58 »

Amazing support. I know Exeter and Cheltenham aren't exactly far and I imagine our away games after this will be back to 4-500 but it's still good to see.
TBF 4-500 away fans is still decent in League 1 never mind League 2
Peter Venkman

« Reply #372 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 10:34:05 »

TBF 4-500 away fans is still decent in League 1 never mind League 2
It is, so far this season in the 3 games we have played at the CG we have only had a total number of 726 away fans and thats spread over 3 games.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 13:45:51 »

It is, so far this season in the 3 games we have played at the CG we have only had a total number of 726 away fans and thats spread over 3 games.
That does include Carlisle and Morecambe, but the point still stands! I was missing the days of full away ends. Hopefully get some good numbers to the games up here in the North West after Christmas, assuming things continue to go well.

Great what some simple engagement can do. Ben Hooke deserves a payrise

He's done really well. I'd argue things on the pitch are having as much/more of an impact though.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #374 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 13:56:43 »

That does include Carlisle and Morecambe, but the point still stands! I was missing the days of full away ends. Hopefully get some good numbers to the games up here in the North West after Christmas, assuming things continue to go well.
Looking at the clubs in our division this season I would say that the only clubs who will being decent followings will be -

800-1,000 Bradford, Plymouth
500-800 Cheltenham, FGR(if they are doing well), Exeter, Walsall, Orient, Newport
All the rest will be well under 500 most probably well under 300.

We will take 1,000+ to Exeter, Cheltenham, Newport, FGR, Walsall, Northampton and probably get to around the 800 mark for Stevenage, Plymouth, Crawley, Bradford, Colchester, Cambridge and Salford(possibly because they are new).

There will be very few we will get under 400, especially so if we carry on playing as we are.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: