Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106733 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 12:01:24 »

right now you can feel the fans waiting for something to cheer about rather than waiting for something to moan about.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 12:23:15 »

I'll be back for Colchester or Newport  Smiley
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 12:55:32 »

I'll be back for Colchester or Newport  Smiley

Bugger.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 12:59:50 »

This may come back to Reg haunt me, but based on watching all the league games bar the one we were robbed in, I'll stand by my comment at half time yesterday.  Our team has the feel of the 95/96 team at the moment - several of the players look better than the division and the first team looks like it is the dominant team in games (not always winning, or even drawing, but they just look the better team).

In that season teams eventually sat in against us and at times frustrated us.  We know from last season this was our Achilles heel, which is why Yates and Doyle looks so promising.  Having a goalscorer to help out when we are dominating is going to be the difference vs. last season once Wellens had sorted us out.

The unknown is how often we get to put that first eleven out - hopefully we stay clear of injuries.

In defence we still look like we could get beat up at set pieces, or if a team can put decent crosses in against us.  Against that though we seem to create much more.

I would not be surprised to see us in the Auto spots come May, and feel confident about Play Offs, as things stand.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 13:11:09 »

This may come back to Reg haunt me, but based on watching all the league games bar the one we were robbed in, I'll stand by my comment at half time yesterday.  Our team has the feel of the 95/96 team at the moment - several of the players look better than the division and the first team looks like it is the dominant team in games (not always winning, or even drawing, but they just look the better team).

In that season teams eventually sat in against us and at times frustrated us.  We know from last season this was our Achilles heel, which is why Yates and Doyle looks so promising.  Having a goalscorer to help out when we are dominating is going to be the difference vs. last season once Wellens had sorted us out.

The unknown is how often we get to put that first eleven out - hopefully we stay clear of injuries.

In defence we still look like we could get beat up at set pieces, or if a team can put decent crosses in against us.  Against that though we seem to create much more.

I would not be surprised to see us in the Auto spots come May, and feel confident about Play Offs, as things stand.

95/96.... you're having a laugh.  That season we'd been relegated only because there were 4 down, had players who'd been in the Prem side, had Peter Thorne, who was a very decent striker at Div 3 level, and then spent half a mill on the Chief to back him up.   Alison/Thorne was probably about as good as it gets for Div 3.

Realistically all you can say atm is that as things stand it looks like we could be in for a decent season
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 13:23:39 »

I can say what I like.

I am not saying we look like that team of 95/96, or referencing any of the context about why we had a good team.

I am saying the way we look in games has a similar feel to it - that we look better than the other team.  In all five I have watched, that is how it has felt.

Scunthorpe - we looked likely to score more than we got, least dominant overall though I'd day.
Carlisle - we looked much better than them
Exeter - we could have had several more
Cheltenham - we looked a far better team than they did until the sending off
Morecambe - head and shoulders above them in the first 45

In those games we still didn't win two of them and have given teams chances they didn't take, but against that we could have had two or three goals more in some of them.  Clear cut chances.

That season is the last time I remember having that feeling.  We've had good seasons, and maybe the early part of the Cooper season was close.  The previous two promotions from this Division were a bit of the inverse of each other.  The Wise start was great but we never looked head and shoulders better, just well organised.  Di Canio's season built momentum, and I'd say we looked very good in the second half of that season.  Regardless of the reasons, 95/96 we just looked good, I'm saying we look good 6 games into this season.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 13:49:20 »

I feel that we are over analysing a handful of games. Let's just enjoy the fact that the team is probably exceeding expectations at this early stage.

Nothing to see here
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 13:57:50 »

My analysis goes no further than this - When you follow a team year in, year out there are times (like 95-96 as RobertT alluded to) when you KNOW you have a good side. A top 3 finish is a realistic and reasonable expectation to have with this team and that's a good feeling, which I am enjoying very much.

Does anyone know though, exactly what the recall situation is with Doyle and Yates?  Those two really are the key to how the season pans out.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 14:10:41 »

I can say what I like.

I am not saying we look like that team of 95/96, or referencing any of the context about why we had a good team.

I am saying the way we look in games has a similar feel to it - that we look better than the other team.  In all five I have watched, that is how it has felt.

Scunthorpe - we looked likely to score more than we got, least dominant overall though I'd day.
Carlisle - we looked much better than them
Exeter - we could have had several more
Cheltenham - we looked a far better team than they did until the sending off
Morecambe - head and shoulders above them in the first 45

In those games we still didn't win two of them and have given teams chances they didn't take, but against that we could have had two or three goals more in some of them.  Clear cut chances.

That season is the last time I remember having that feeling.  We've had good seasons, and maybe the early part of the Cooper season was close.  The previous two promotions from this Division were a bit of the inverse of each other.  The Wise start was great but we never looked head and shoulders better, just well organised.  Di Canio's season built momentum, and I'd say we looked very good in the second half of that season.  Regardless of the reasons, 95/96 we just looked good, I'm saying we look good 6 games into this season.

Looking good and getting results aren't necessarily the same thing.  One thing you can see is that in almost all our auto seasons we've conceded fewer than a goal a game.  Being good defensively and getting something up the other end is still the best way of going about it.

Audrey alludes to whether we can do it with being defensively sketchy, and yes it is possible, but I'm looking for signs of tightening up at the back before getting too carried away.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 14:58:57 »

We’ve looked better than every team we’ve played so far.

I haven’t looked at the table, not interested yet but looking better than every opposition faced so far is a very good early season sign
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 15:27:34 »

My analysis goes no further than this - When you follow a team year in, year out there are times (like 95-96 as RobertT alluded to) when you KNOW you have a good side. A top 3 finish is a realistic and reasonable expectation to have with this team and that's a good feeling, which I am enjoying very much.

Does anyone know though, exactly what the recall situation is with Doyle and Yates?  Those two really are the key to how the season pans out.

Precisely - it is still possible to fuck up a season with a team that seems like it should do well.  But, in the five games I've seen it felt like we were a step above the opposition.  We still didn't win them al, but they were good to watch, fun some might say, and we were the team thinking we should have got more from that.  I doubt any of the three we have beaten have gone away thinking they should have taken a point or more.  Are we going up? who knows, too much can happen.  Right now it looks and feels good.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 15:33:04 »

I'm enjoying watching the team play more than I have done for years and am looking forward to going to games again. That'll do for now. Too early to start thinking about much else.
Flashheart

« Reply #327 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 15:45:34 »

I think we might just about manage to stay up.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 15:53:39 »

I think we might just about manage to stay up.
39 points off safety, far too early to get complacent about staying up. When's our first relegation battle six-pointer?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 17:53:25 »

39 points off safety, far too early to get complacent about staying up. When's our first relegation battle six-pointer?

Better ask Old man Steptoe
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: