Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106797 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:22:31 »

I could be wrong, but wasn't the LV one structured a bit like the Loungo one - we essentially pay the fee if we sell for more than the fee?

Anderson was quoted as six figures at the time, I'd imagine not much into that realm though.  The FGR Chairman outed us on the Woolery one, if I remember correctly.  Some of that no doubt would be to placate his own fans a little byt pointing out how crazy it was to compete.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:24:08 »

Shearer and White 89/90 - 21 & 20  (probably just shy of 20 if you take the play off games against Blackburn out, think it is 20 & 18.  Interestingly, the swindon-town-fc.co.uk site includes play off games in the league stats.  Either way we got promoted with two near 20 league goal a season strikers in the team.

Think if we add the two DV listed, the evidence shows having two at around 20 creates a promotion hunting team at worst.  Who'd have thunk it?

RIchsrd B is free to do as he pleases, but PO's are seen as stand alone comps, a bit like cups.  It's no good saying that because 2 players nearly scored 20+... that 2 players did score 20+.  Perhaps you're being infected by the Trump virus.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:26:33 »

Regardless, it shows Power can convince players to come here when he thinks it is the right thing to do - potential profit for him.  What he hasn't done is spend transfer fee's on anything else (not that many clubs down here do).  Last summer we got Daigouraga and Doughty to come down here - suggests we can fund signings.  They were both decent additions, the problem was Brown had also signed another 3 or 4 central midfielders before them and spunked the remainder of his budget on those two.  Now, if Wellens can convince Power to invest in those types of players but in the positions we need, that might be better!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:31:24 »

RIchsrd B is free to do as he pleases, but PO's are seen as stand alone comps, a bit like cups.  It's no good saying that because 2 players nearly scored 20+... that 2 players did score 20+.  Perhaps you're being infected by the Trump virus.

Umm, I didn't claim they did score 20 in the league - I said, and you quoted, that having two players around 20 creates a promotion hunting team.  I dug for those two because I remembered their total goals for the season both being close to 30.  We also had McLoughlin in double figure over the entire season as well.

It's pretty easy to summise that having goalscorers increases your chances of success.  It doesn't guarantee it though - you need to be secure at the other end as well.  Didn't Clive Allen bag 49 in a season for Spurs once without winning much, thanks to Coventry?  But, having goals in a team is key - if you have one or two players who have the knack of scoring, you are off to a good start.  The top 7 teams show that this year.  Of course you can get by without a 20 goal person, but it is harder - you need a mean defence and/or a load of players getting to 10.  We don't have them, we won't have them, so getting a 20 plus player would be a benefit for the here and now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:46:25 »

Regardless, it shows Power can convince players to come here when he thinks it is the right thing to do - potential profit for him.  What he hasn't done is spend transfer fee's on anything else (not that many clubs down here do).  Last summer we got Daigouraga and Doughty to come down here - suggests we can fund signings.  They were both decent additions, the problem was Brown had also signed another 3 or 4 central midfielders before them and spunked the remainder of his budget on those two.  Now, if Wellens can convince Power to invest in those types of players but in the positions we need, that might be better!

Think you're way out here.... it's a competitive market, agents know which clubs are prepared to pay a premium to get what they want. Within that market will be a few odd players like a Doughty, who perhaps isn't so bothered by money, if a club is a better fit into life style, relocation etc.   Matty Taylor probably came as we were near his home, if say Carlisle had wanted him they have had to pay the premium.

Preston last season a classic example.... sort of defender Wellens says he likes stick your head in etc, was always going to Mansfield as they pay more.

What we usually get around this time... is the couple of unrealistic "marquee" signings rumour  Thought Longstaff might have been the first but it's his bro.

A classic was Tom Bradshaw, has scored a few for the other STFC, we were so say intersted and went to WAlsall, has subsequently made 1.5 mill on the transfer market.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:59:42 »

It's pretty easy to summise that having goalscorers increases your chances of success. 

That's obvious and not the point at issue... which is what is realistic in our present state.

For me, I don't see Power sanctioning the acquisition of the 2 20+ Div 4 proven golascorers that PV would like or even the one that RW says he wants.

Therefore realistically we have to look at other ways of achieving success... hence my raising 06/07 where we had 2 10 goal forwards, and other bodies at vatrious times who chipped in, and was enough to get us up.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 19:34:35 »

Once again the myth that Power doesn't spend on players rather ignoring the £350,000 spent on Woolery, I cannot imagine Anderson came for nothing etc etc.

What did we pay Liverpool for LV? I have seen £400k suggested, that cannot be right?

I was told at the time it was circa 50k + add ons and a sell on. Total expected was around 400k,
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 01:25:00 »

I know nothing about Rowe, not that it means a lot.  However, I think we have to be realistic, I know for some that is difficult, but I just don't see Power sanctioning the signing of a proper Div 4 style 20+ goal man.

Think back to Wise/Poyet... They wanted Rickie Lambert after he'd done a 20+ Div 4 goal season in 06 at Dale.... we couldn't afford it, even when we were spending money we didn't have... he went to Rovers for £200K.... Wise and Poyet didn't hang about for long.

If Wellens thinks Power is going to back his wish list, then he's not going to be around for long either.

Being realistic means looking at how to get more goals out of Kaiyne and Keshi.... Theo would be semi realistic, not that he's prolific, but does put in a shift.  Only semi because he'll no doubt be looking for a better deal than here, so we would be a fall back if nothing else happens.

When I talk of numbers the sort of thing in mind is the 06/07 season.  We had over the season 6 what you might call front men.... none particularly prolific, but they scored 33 between them.  In the early part fo the season, it was Roberts and Peacock who both finished on 10, Royce Brownlie chipped in a couple, and Lukas was coming through from the youths and got 5 important goals. When Sturrock came in Blair got 3 for him and then Barry Corr at deadline a further 3. Enough to paraphrase Power "limp over the line"

Wasn’t the whole Ricky lambert thing just tails on a wind up?

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 08:19:02 »

Wasn’t the whole Ricky lambert thing just tails on a wind up?

Entirely possible, if so a good one, At the time,  having recruited Wise and Poyet, it seemed within the realms of likelihood, that we might spend 200K on a Div 4 journeyman from Rochdale, who went to Rovers.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 09:11:05 »

The Rickie Lambert link was indeed total horse shit.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 18:28:26 »

Reg’s wish comes true....

We're hosting an open training session at the County Ground, next Tuesday, for fans to meet the players and watch them train!

📆 30th July
⌚️ 10:30
📌 County Ground

#STFC 🔴
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 19:43:23 »

Doesn't our Right Back have some experience as well?  Fuck, has anyone know anyone into Tyromancy to check if next season is nailed on for promotion?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 20:32:58 »

Reg’s wish comes true....

We're hosting an open training session at the County Ground, next Tuesday, for fans to meet the players and watch them train!

📆 30th July
⌚️ 10:30
📌 County Ground

#STFC 🔴

Good stuff  Smiley   Let's hope there's a good turn out of nippers.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Thursday, July 25, 2019, 07:31:37 »

Doesn't our Right Back have some experience as well?  Fuck, has anyone know anyone into Tyromancy to check if next season is nailed on for promotion?

Yes, but in 99-00 and 10-11 our right backs were experienced and we finished bottom by miles. Does this mean we're doomed?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 20:51:40 »

Bradford and Plymouth strongly fancied in fourth tier
Nine reporters predicted Bradford would end the season as League Two champions and a further four believe they will go up automatically.

Ryan Lowe took Bury up from the fourth tier last term and 15 of our panel think he will repeat the feat with his new club Plymouth, with six of those tipping Argyle to win the title.

What about EFL newcomers Leyton Orient and Salford? Nobody predicted Salford would win the League Two title, but 10 of our 18 journalists believe they will be promoted. Three picked Orient to go up.

Mansfield (nine) and Forest Green (six), who were both beaten in last season's play-off semi-finals, were the only other clubs to get more than five votes.

bbc
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: