Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106765 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 11:01:46 »

Well, it's gone pear shaped at the end.  Things have unravelled pretty quickly and probably more so than expected. 

Dangerous times ahead.... most recognise what Wellens is saying to be corrrect and obvious... like over dependence on loan players highlighted at the start of this thread, and the lack of basic Div 4 battling qualities. 

Wellens further puts the time scale firmly in the Power reign, implied if not stated.  This could be a political move.... he knows Power wants the CG, but will have to get into bed with the Trust, for that to happen. The trust need the fans to put their hands in their pockets, but how many will be prepared to if it seems to supporting Power, while he still takes the club backward?  Or perhaps he's just lost the plot.... incoherent thinking, the equivalent of when he got the red playing for McMahon v Town.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 11:35:57 »

Hopefully fans are aware that putting their hand in their pocket is for their own half of the ground, furthermore that now the genie is out the bottle so to speak its vital that the Trust secure 50% rather than giving Power an opportunity to persure 100%.

Those in the trust that are involved in the dealings will have to no doubt get and communicate the legal position about the ownership to cover the case should Power throw a wobbler.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 11:40:03 »

In terms of the playing side, yeah it unravelled quickly. I've fluctuated between optimism and dread for next season.  If we got Conroy and Knoyle signed up it would ease my unrest, a sign of intent.

I think the best course is to ignore it all for a month!

I'm glad we have Paul Jewell in to provide an experienced hand. We'll see soon enough if its another season of the same recruitment MO.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 11:47:38 »

In terms of the playing side, yeah it unravelled quickly. I've fluctuated between optimism and dread for next season.  If we got Conroy and Knoyle signed up it would ease my unrest, a sign of intent.

I think the best course is to ignore it all for a month!

I'm glad we have Paul Jewell in to provide an experienced hand. We'll see soon enough if its another season of the same recruitment MO.

I'd like to know what Jewell actually does, you only ever him of him scouting ooopp noorth is he at the club, who deals with contract negotiations ? where is the dividing line between Jewell & Power who does what ?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 11:52:37 »

I'd like to know what Jewell actually does, you only ever him of him scouting ooopp noorth is he at the club, who deals with contract negotiations ? where is the dividing line between Jewell & Power who does what ?

I'd guess that Jewell's work is more or less a casual gig... remuneration mostly dependent on finder's fees if we get a saleable asset.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 12:57:44 »

I think Wellens has done a couple of things:

a) recruited pretty well
b) shown that having a simple plan can get results
c) has, by and large, provided more entertainment
d) begged a whole bunch of questions about durability of his plan - Oldham slumped, so have we
e) as a result, loaded a whole set of Brown style weight on his own shoulders as we go through a summer re-build

I'm still one to have more on the plus side for him, but he'd better squeeze Power's knackers over the summer and get a squad together quickly that can begin to resemble something akin to a promotion team, or face the prospect of being another Power Out poster child for the facebook generation.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 14:17:52 »

I think Wellens has done a couple of things:

a) recruited pretty well
b) shown that having a simple plan can get results
c) has, by and large, provided more entertainment
d) begged a whole bunch of questions about durability of his plan - Oldham slumped, so have we
e) as a result, loaded a whole set of Brown style weight on his own shoulders as we go through a summer re-build

I'm still one to have more on the plus side for him, but he'd better squeeze Power's knackers over the summer and get a squad together quickly that can begin to resemble something akin to a promotion team, or face the prospect of being another Power Out poster child for the facebook generation.

I certainly preferred it when he was talking about using a lot of the current squad.... I could see that with a core of what we'll have next season and even some usual Power type recruitment we should be OK to stay in Div 4.

Further some proper recruitment and we could be looking at competing.  It should be noted that there are 81 teams in the pyramid above us and only 7 who aren't down or in the mix final day.... a decent points gap, mind.

Now though, there's a big risk... we're going to be totally reliant on Wellens and Jewell getting this right...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 14:27:12 »

Now it’s become obvious that quite a few players haven’t the stomach for a fight he has little option but to start again. Brown did no better and your pal Flitcroft landed us with some right old plums.

It’s pretty much the same for most clubs in the basement - any decent players will be sold and the search starts all over again for replacements.

Whether his rhetoric of 80% of the players being binned turns out anywhere near realistic remains to be seen.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 14:37:08 »

It hurts, I'll give Flitcroft some due.

He boiled it down to a very simple game plan.  He didn't need any ball players, just hit it forward into key areas.  Defenders had no need to worry about doing anything bar defending, same for midfield two.  He then had four up top - the idea being they would get the scraps between them and do enough to win games.

It kind of worked, but, as with the nature of the Roulette game it was based off, not enough, because you are playing with chance.  He bet on having defenders who were basic defenders and four top men who would bank enough goals between them.  His recruitment wasn't quite right so it didn't pay off often enough, in my opinion and his points per game ratio.

What he did manage to do though was the key - a simple game plan the players understand.  If you can do that and have slightly better players overall than most teams, you probably do well.

It was just fuck awful to watch and I hope I never see it again.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 14:46:21 »

When Flitcroft was manager my point was, and still is, what next?

Sure his brand may well get you into L1 but then what? It’s never going to cut the mustard a league higher. It’s why I always thought he was a complete fraud.

Once the buzz of promotion out of L2 has worn off and you become a bumbling along L1 club, flirting with relegation yet again, what’s the fucking point.

Mansfield fans are saying all the things we did and they’re in the POs at least. And he’s spent a shitload of the Radfords’ money in what probably will turn out to be a bottled promotion bid.

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 14:54:06 »

The MK v Mansfield game on Saturday is effectively a play off final - just that MK have to win in normal time. I don’t like MK, but I dislike Flitcroft (in a panto villain type of way), so not sure who I want to go up/stay down. The loser will somehow have to pick themselves up again for the play offs, and will probably bomb in the semis.
Panda Paws

« Reply #191 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 15:26:36 »

The MK v Mansfield game on Saturday is effectively a play off final - just that MK have to win in normal time. I don’t like MK, but I dislike Flitcroft (in a panto villain type of way), so not sure who I want to go up/stay down. The loser will somehow have to pick themselves up again for the play offs, and will probably bomb in the semis.

Apart from... if Tranmere win Tuesday and Saturday, they'll move to 78 and open it all up. Both MK and Flitcroft could miss out in a glorious twist.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #192 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 15:32:59 »

Apart from... if Tranmere win Tuesday and Saturday, they'll move to 78 and open it all up. Both MK and Flitcroft could miss out in a glorious twist.
Come on tranmere
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 15:40:43 »

I don't think the approach Flitcroft took is limited to L2 - i you get better players, especially upfront,you can take it up the leagues.  What I do imagine, and maybe we are seeing, is it costs you more - you are going to be telling players to do stuff they think is beneath them, so might need a bit more money in their pockets to loosen their footballing morals.  I mean, nobody develops as a player doing it that way, aside maybe from centre back and centre forward.

Bolton are paying a bit of a price right now for this approach - in the end, to sustain it they had to pay older players a shit tonne of money to come and make them competitive in the Prem.  Once that fell apart, the chickens came home to roost and they racked up over 100m in debt.  But for their owner wiping most of it off, they'd be in the non-leagues building back up by now.

Plus, it hurts the eyes.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 15:56:00 »

It hurts, I'll give Flitcroft some due.

It's always good to reconsider views based on evidence....

It been done many times, but Flitcroft came into a very dodgy situation, had to do a rapid rebuild and the danger of getting it wrong, probably non league football.

So, you keep it simple, apply basics.

So to Audrey, his recruitment was not too bad at all.... given no manager gets them all right, but now we're having to get maximum value out of every signing, there's less wriggle room than perhaps previously... all our better gaffers of the past will have a few dodgy signings.

So Flitcroft's ++ would be Knoyle, Preston, if he'd signed, Taylor. Others, like Keshi and Kaiyne, still a bit jury out, although there are some like me who would stick with them next season. Dunne, I'd let go but he's been pretty much bog standard Div 4 journeyman, pretty much what you'd expect. Mullin ws one who most woukd have liked to have stayed  Lancashire was OK ish until fucked by injury and Robertson, the waste of a year stand out stumer.

As regards Div 3 if we get there.... now it's a case of worry about when... top half Div 3 now looks a difficult league for us, in the way that Div 2 used to years ago, and as has been shown this season with 4 down, if you're not in the top half you're in a relegation battle until late on.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 29, 2019, 15:58:09 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: