Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106744 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 10:57:59 »

As soon as it becomes impossible, rather than unlikely, play the players who are going to be here next year.

No point Woolfenden playing when we could be developing a Conroy/Broadbent pairing for example.

I think Wellens has been trying to use his squad with an eye to the future, and nothing wrong with that... but still think the basic rule has to be try and win the next game. 

Morecambe isn't going to easy, their current say 5 or 6 game form might be better than ours.   Bentley will know a spoiling game may well reap dividends for them.

With only 4 home games left, and the form still being scratchy, the target has to be try and win with some entertainment.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 13:21:31 »

As soon as it becomes impossible, rather than unlikely, play the players who are going to be here next year.

No point Woolfenden playing when we could be developing a Conroy/Broadbent pairing for example.

What is the point of having players who's wages are being paid to not play them ?

We want to end the season with a bit of momentum so winning games will be important, but equally if there is a chance of blooding someone like Bancroft so Wellens can see him in a full game against proper opposition with an eye on next season then lets do it
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 14:51:05 »

I think we really need a period of stability at the club. It looked like that was going to happen with Flitcroft but then he left towards the end of the season, Brown picked up the reigns, didn't like what Flitcroft had left him so tried to put his stamp on things by only signing midfielders. Then when it didn't work out with him, we have a new man, who has his own new ideas and with Shirtliffe and Jewell coming in it seems we are trying to finally put some foundations down to take the club forwards and up the leagues.

I note already that some of our fans on Twitter are already starting to turn a bit on Wellens but I think we have to give him a chance to instill his own ideas and bring in the players that he'll be able to utilise to get the best out of his chosen way of playing. He is clearly trying to make do with what was in the squad before he came, he's done ok, lets see if he can finish the season strongly (ish) and have a good break in the summer and then crack on with an attack on a league 2 promotion.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 16:32:53 »

What is the point of having players who's wages are being paid to not play them ?

We want to end the season with a bit of momentum so winning games will be important, but equally if there is a chance of blooding someone like Bancroft so Wellens can see him in a full game against proper opposition with an eye on next season then lets do it

Well seen as we have more players than slots in a match day squad there will always be under contract players picking up a wage whilst not playing.

As this season is now a write off it makes perfect sense to give game time to those who will be continuing to pick up a wage next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 17:02:14 »

As this season is now a write off it makes perfect sense to give game time to those who will be continuing to pick up a wage next season.

There is a flaw in your plan.... we don't have 11 available players contracted for next season. That excludes any youth teamers, as it would be very naughty to put out weakened teams especially against releagtion candidates like Yeovil and Notts, and promotion candidates like Bury.

Still plenty to play for this season...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 17:33:11 »

We have ten, so we have a free slot as a showcase role :-)

You'd imagine they have a good idea which of the others are likely to be offered terms and a feel for if they would take them, plus Koiki is likely to fill a Long term loan slot. Maybe a total of 14-15 end up in next years squad from what we have today.  At least most of them are wanted as well, unlike last year where we retained the ones we probably didn't want like Robertson.  Knoyle is probably the biggest risk and a couple of those 14 are not likely ready for the first team yet.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 06:48:42 »

There is a flaw in your plan.... we don't have 11 available players contracted for next season. That excludes any youth teamers, as it would be very naughty to put out weakened teams especially against releagtion candidates like Yeovil and Notts, and promotion candidates like Bury.

Still plenty to play for this season...

Well, obviously I meant only play players contracted for next season, rather than priorities them.

We have fuck all to play for...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 07:35:28 »

Quote from: Panda Paws

Totally agree there. Nothing to be gained from doing much else. Assuming Ipswich's wage contribution doesn't rely on have time I guess.
chrisser

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:27:39 »

We have ten, so we have a free slot as a showcase role :-)

Two of whom (Twine and Mcglashan) are out on loan. He's not likely to play McCormick due to the risk of upsetting contract negotiations with Vigs. Diagouraga didn't take his chance against Stevenage, so that just leaves potential debuts for Curran and McGilp. Unless I'm missing something...
chrisser

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:33:40 »

There could be more as I think the contract length hasn't been disclosed for Henry, Robertson, Romanski, Iandolo, Edwards and Pryce
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 10:53:56 »

Well, obviously I meant only play players contracted for next season, rather than priorities them.

We have fuck all to play for...

Each match is an event in itself, with lots of sub plots and nuances...  for example we've never lost to Morecambe, now given that last season they had some sub 1000 gates, Bentley is doing a pretty amazing job to keep them in Div 4, instinctively you'd like to think we should be above them in the pyramid, but lose and it brings them within 6 points.

Further with a couple of games to go Wellens will have had 27 league games like Brown... his record W7 D11 L9...... so far Wellens record W8 D6 L6.  Wellens will want to add some wins onto that, as if it ends up comparable, some fans will be asking questions about next season. 

A poor end to the season and we're in 83/84 country 17th our lowest ever finish, this needs avoiding as there will be some questioning if the consistent season on season drop since 14/15 under Power has indeed bottomed out, and whather he is the man the Trust should be getting into bed with re the CG.

Then there's the visits of Yeovil and Notts, 2 who may be going into non league.... I'd be sorry to see Yeovil go, an easy trip and we usually do pretty well there.  The trip to Whaddon Road and the possibilty of seeing a win or even a draw, has always had this marked down as massive.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 11:18:37 »

Then there's the visits of Yeovil and Notts, 2 who may be going into non league.... I'd be sorry to see Yeovil go, an easy trip and we usually do pretty well there.  The trip to Whaddon Road and the possibilty of seeing a win or even a draw, has always had this marked down as massive.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over never visiting Yeovil again.
Two stations and both in the middle of nowhere as is the ground.
Would prefer to see Macclesfield survive.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 11:26:16 »

I wouldn't lose any sleep over never visiting Yeovil again.
Two stations and both in the middle of nowhere as is the ground.
Would prefer to see Macclesfield survive.

I wouldn't mind if Macc stayed up, but having 2 stations makes Yeovil interesting.... Yeovil Pen Mill, great name. Neighbouring county, if they go it'll fuck the Somerset/Wilts/Glos mini league.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 11:39:13 »

I wouldn't mind if Macc stayed up, but having 2 stations makes Yeovil interesting.... Yeovil Pen Mill, great name. Neighbouring county, if they go it'll fuck the Somerset/Wilts/Glos mini league.

Rovers could replace Yeovil.
The mini league could expand next season to include neighbours Oxfordshire and Hampshire.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 11:54:43 »

Rovers could replace Yeovil.
The mini league could expand next season to include neighbours Oxfordshire and Hampshire.

True, regarding Rovers, but they're a bit more Gloucestershire hinterland though.  I don't accept Oxfordhire as a neighbouring county.... Berkshire yes,  although Reading returning to Div 4 is probably a bit distant.  Good point presumably regarding Eastleigh's prospects.... definitely one to look out for.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 11:56:49 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: