Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you think we are shaping up?  (Read 106786 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 14:14:45 »

Oh, and Guardiola's "Genius" is that he has deployed the same plan for many seasons and nobody has yet really figured it out - his teams still largely retain a much higher % of the possession even when playing teams with equal resources and potentially playing talent.  His team are going to lose the odd game and miss out, but by and large there isn't  clear way being used to combat him.  Hoddle did the same with us - nobody else was playing that way.  Cambridge thought they had it, then Hoddle stuck two fingers up at them.  You still lose games, we didn't have the best squad and had to sell a fullback to pay a tax bill, but we were always able to play our way.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 14:17:41 »

That's a lot of rambling from me to say the problem is Brown does not have a plan, that is evident and I believe the underlying cause to our position and performances of late.  Made more frustrating by the fact that for a few games we seemed to be on to something.
Sir red ken

« Reply #107 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 14:40:23 »

That's a lot of rambling from me to say the problem is Brown does not have a plan, that is evident and I believe the underlying cause to our position and performances of late.  Made more frustrating by the fact that for a few games we seemed to be on to something.
I feel that if we had a good plan and played to our strengths then it would be a diffrent season.They've proved they're good at times. However we need strengthening, which isn't going to happen and why would players sign for us now. If we lose or draw our next two games, then the rest of our season will become squeaky bum time.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 15:51:07 »

Oh, and Guardiola's "Genius" is that he has deployed the same plan for many seasons and nobody has yet really figured it out - his teams still largely retain a much higher % of the possession even when playing teams with equal resources and potentially playing talent.  His team are going to lose the odd game and miss out, but by and large there isn't  clear way being used to combat him.  Hoddle did the same with us - nobody else was playing that way.  Cambridge thought they had it, then Hoddle stuck two fingers up at them.  You still lose games, we didn't have the best squad and had to sell a fullback to pay a tax bill, but we were always able to play our way.

Guardiola's trick is to get clubs whose financial might over the rest is so huge that can amass a huge squad of talent to tinker with. That gives you a massive head start,  I'm sure Brown could have us a few slots up the table with a budget say comparable to Lincoln, Mansfield or even ColU.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 16:00:26 »

I've been troubled by the towns form of late but your stats have given me food for thought.
If we carry on as we are there's not going to be enough games by the end of Jan to save our arses based on our current form. We may only stay up by other teams being more shite than us despite our current mid table position. So here's my thoughts, the club is run on a shoe string and may not have the funds to remove PB or better still bring in a manger who can turn things around. If he does go then the sooner the better as we could stop the rot with some Jan signings (will be loans and freebies but that would be something) There's an air of resignation regarding our plight as we've been slowly sinking for a few seasons now, unless there's a wholesale change in the club its looking like we're heading to the conference. We have 3 old players who can't cut it in this division, we start with them each week which is a kin to sending out 8 players to face 11. Why does PB keep repeating the same mistakes/ is it part of a bigger plan! LASTLY OTHERS HAVE POSTED THIS, PLEASE GOD NO INTERNAL APPOINTMENTS, IT NEVER WORKS.

Lancashire isn't old, if that's who you mean, he obviously is sufering a bit atm with the injury. It isn't Taylor and Richards who are the problem rather the younger players, who are struggling to become league standard.

I was interested last night watching Vitorino Hilton at Montpellier 41 year old centre back, Montpellier have the joint best defensive record in Ligue Un, having conceded something like 6 all season. Hilton doesn't run much but organises the younger lads around him, who do that bit for him.

That's Brown's plan if you like, now you can argue as to whther it's failing because the senior players aren't communicating well enough, or as I feel more likely, the younger players are not good enough.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 5, 2018, 16:02:48 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 16:04:01 »

We won't finish top 7 under Brown. I was willing to give him time as I thought the football generally improved under him at the tail end of last season... But for me he isn't the man to take us up and I think it will be better to get someone in now and give them January - July to prepare for next season (this one has gone, lets face it). Even if its Matty Taylor. I know people are against internal appointments but he knows the club well now, the fans like him and he's a smart fella. Harsh to judge him on that Cheltenham game alone last season I think.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 16:19:21 »

We won't finish top 7 under Brown. I was willing to give him time as I thought the football generally improved under him at the tail end of last season... But for me he isn't the man to take us up and I think it will be better to get someone in now and give them January - July to prepare for next season (this one has gone, lets face it). Even if its Matty Taylor. I know people are against internal appointments but he knows the club well now, the fans like him and he's a smart fella. Harsh to judge him on that Cheltenham game alone last season I think.

Because he knows the club, I'm far from convinced he'd take it if offered.  When Macari took us on, people asked him why, and he answered because STFC should be higher up the league having just finished in a historic low position, therefore he should be able to get progress on his CV.... now of course he did this, but only on the back of financial doping, that fans did not know about at the time.

Brown came out with the old we should be higher up the pyramid bullshit, but Power's modus operandi tells us different.  If If I was an ambitious wannabe gaffer looking at a first job, I'd want an awful lot of guarantees from Power about budgets, future plans regarding training facilities, etc before risking my reputation especially when he can probabaly get a nice support job at a Prem club, or an upwardly mobile club like say Pompey for more money.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 16:36:27 »

Almost makes it a win / win for him I think. If he does well, it looks good on the CV... If he doesn't, then it was because it was in difficult circumstances. I still think he'd make a decent manager one day, at Swindon or somewhere else. I feel like the squad we have is only 1 or 2 away from being a top 3 side at this level. The talent is there and Brown currently isn't utilising it at all.

He seems to genuinely enjoy being at the club too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 16:40:36 »

Harsh to judge him on that Cheltenham game alone last season I think.

Agreed there. Certainly he could be a good manager. My objection is I don't think the transition from teammate to boss has worked well in the past. If it happens and Taylor got it, I am not closed to the idea that it could work this time .
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 16:49:35 »

Almost makes it a win / win for him I think. If he does well, it looks good on the CV... If he doesn't, then it was because it was in difficult circumstances. I still think he'd make a decent manager one day, at Swindon or somewhere else. I feel like the squad we have is only 1 or 2 away from being a top 3 side at this level. The talent is there and Brown currently isn't utilising it at all.

He seems to genuinely enjoy being at the club too.

I really don't see the talent.... I ask myself a basic question, could I see this lad playing further up the pyramid?  When I look at our squad the answer is mostly... no. Alzate and Bayo whilst having some ability, are miles away from being near a finished product, which is of course why they're on loan to try and add that missing something.

I was interested to read that Bayo was in fact brought through by Fulham as a centre half, up front is a recent conversion.

Rather what you need to do is forge a unit where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and we're not doing that atm for a number of reasons.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:13:47 »

Agreed there. Certainly he could be a good manager. My objection is I don't think the transition from teammate to boss has worked well in the past. If it happens and Taylor got it, I am not closed to the idea that it could work this time .

The what makes a good manager question is one of life's great mysteries.  I mean if it ws so obvious that Eddie Howe was going to be a managerial genius why couldn't we see it when he was with us... and why didn't it work at Burnley.

Look at someone like Julian Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim took them on aged 28, when in a releagtion battle kept them up and got CL qualification the next season for the first time in their history, still only 31.

Injury finished his career early so he went off to uni, and then coached youth sides on graduating, before getting the top job.

I guess Power saw a bit of Nagelsmann in Luke....
« Last Edit: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:20:11 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:26:33 »

Has it happened much at Swindon? I can't really think of any, not permanently at least. Ady Williams... The Miller / Ward combo had it for a few games. Who else?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 17:58:49 »

The sort of thing we could do with is a 2000 -13 vintage Paul Sturrock.... I guess Power sees Brown as a poor man's Sturrock.

Always thought it a shame he'd had enough by the time Fitton et al came on board, so was tempted by a nostalgic return to Plymuff, where it didn't work out him second time.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 18:04:46 »

I really don't see the talent.... I ask myself a basic question, could I see this lad playing further up the pyramid?  When I look at our squad the answer is mostly... no. Alzate and Bayo whilst having some ability, are miles away from being near a finished product, which is of course why they're on loan to try and add that missing something.

I was interested to read that Bayo was in fact brought through by Fulham as a centre half, up front is a recent conversion.

Rather what you need to do is forge a unit where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and we're not doing that atm for a number of reasons.

Alzate is better than anything I have seen at this level - that doesn't mean he will be a great player, but a decent Manager should be able to extract something useful from him this season.

Adebayo was a forward when younger, Fulham tried converting him to a defender due to his size and frame, they then agreed to move him back being a forward.

Both Doughty and Diagarouga are better than this level when on form, they have even shown as much with us this season in several games (not all).

Nelson is more than competent.

Knoyle could well have a career at the next level, depends how much effort goes into nurturing him.

There are others with a lot to prove, but there is enough in this squad to compete (we have competed in pretty much every game bar two).  You might like to portray us as cannon fodder, but the results show we are not.  They don't lie, we are not performing well enough to be higher than we are, but they show a team that is not far off those it plays against when it loses.  You tell me that Colchester looked markedly better than us on Saturday?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 18:11:36 »

Has it happened much at Swindon? I can't really think of any, not permanently at least. Ady Williams... The Miller / Ward combo had it for a few games. Who else?

Not really, but we have promoted from within without much success.  I think it depends on the who, not the what.  Gorman and Williams both being seen as good coaches and were generally friendly with the squad, as far as we are told.  Not sure how Taylor is seen internally.  We can see what he does on the pitch and he does offer advice but he doesn't seem to lead, not from what I can see on the screen anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: